Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Iffy cylinder

Iffy cylinder

Iffy aftermarket alloy Hw100 cylinder, guy drops his rifle off for repair saying its leaking from the filler port when I inspected it it turns out the end of the cylinder is full of hairline fractures how it's not totally failed and injured the guy is beyond me he's a very lucky man, for me the benefits of aftermarket cylinders are not worth the risk.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fHSDAHaHTp342MW79

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by DM80 View Post
    Iffy aftermarket alloy Hw100 cylinder, guy drops his rifle off for repair saying its leaking from the filler port when I inspected it it turns out the end of the cylinder is full of hairline fractures how it's not totally failed and injured the guy is beyond me he's a very lucky man, for me the benefits of aftermarket cylinders are not worth the risk.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fHSDAHaHTp342MW79

Dave.
    Alloy cylinder?

1 incident doesnt make it a write off for all.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Hells teeth that's appalling, Not like it took NDT to spot them either

They need to be removed & the manufacturer stopped from making any more because that's not fit for purpose & obviously dangerous.

that is not good

Well spotted Dave, Near miss for the owner or the repairer in my view. Certainly puts me off non standard or 2nd hand high pressure parts for the moment..

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    that's nasty....
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Who's was it,or are not allowed to say.atb mick

Dave, the cylinder seems to have a carbon weave film on it visible in one pic but less so in another.

Is this an aftermarket tart up or is it as sold by original reseller?

The finish and threading do not look precision to me.

A make or the reseller would benefit others and warn people not to buy or to get their cylinder checked or replaced.

I have had FX from Steve Pope and now a ratworks and not had an issue with either.

Perhaps a bit unfair to tarnish all makers when it might be one manufacturer cutting corners and trying to bling it up to sell it on.

Maker or reseller would be appreciated. Any info on the tube?
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Well done for spotting it the cylinder was a ticking time bomb god only knows what could have happened if it blew I dread to think.

Quote Originally Posted by mdunn View Post
    Who's was it,or are not allowed to say.atb mick
    The maker is very well known but its not for me to say, but looking at the cracks the problem is with poor quality tubing their will be many more of these cylinders out their let's hope they stay in one piece and don't hurt someone.

Dave.

Aren't most cylinders designed to do exactly this when over filled?

It's better they vent than go bang.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    Aren't most cylinders designed to do exactly this when over filled?

It's better they vent than go bang.
    the problem isn't the leaking from the port - the problem is the cracks / fractures in the thread, that would fail more "dynamically"...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    the problem isn't the leaking from the port - the problem is the cracks / fractures in the thread, that would fail more "dynamically"...
    Yeah I get that but I thought most cylinders had a built in failure point by design?

Air Arms do this, they designed the cylinder to be thinnest where the o-ring sits. If the cylinder does get over filled this thin section gives way as it's the weakest part, this forces the o-ring out and vents air before the rest of the cylinder goes bang.

The very end of the cylinder in the images Dave posted it looks exactly like what I'm describing. You can see the wall that fractured is far thinner than the body of the cylinder. If you are going to have a failure a leak like this is far preferable to a bang.

It looks like a good design... Obviously you don't want them to fail but if they are going to then a leak is good.