Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Iffy cylinder

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Ah, I see what you mean.... Maybe, but the burst disc is a much better design for controlled failure
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Most leading airgun manufacturers produce their cylinders with a fail safe feature to avoid a catastrophic failure, either their orings fail ie push out of the cylinder ends or their inlet or exhaust valves fail in a controlled manner another way they do it is make the cylinder so strong it would be impossible to pump enough pressure in with a conventional pump or compressor to make it fail, making a cylinder that fractures around the threads to release pressure is foolish at best, the cylinder I have here is of poor quality tube and could have been better designed,

Dave.

Given those points, & those raised by styer in post #10, my personal view is that for the safety of others you are somewhat obliged to reveal the maker.

When I get the go a head off the customer the cylinder will be posted of to the manufacturer to be assessed i can't be fairer than that it just wouldn't be right.

Dave.

.... well assuming its a one off and nobody else is injured or killed in the interim

Best perhaps if alloy cylinder users all assume the worst and jump on checking.

Is the carbon finish a wrap or hydro dip.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Given those points, & those raised by styer in post #10, my personal view is that for the safety of others you are somewhat obliged to reveal the maker.
    This, unfortunately. It doesn't have to involve finger wagging at the manufacturer. It could be a material fault, a one off but please give other people the opportunity to check their cylinders. You might save someone's life here, buddy.
    Dan

Could a kind ( clever ) person put the pic up or send it tome please . I cant open it .

Ta .

Yes. I'm inept . It's painful

Quote Originally Posted by hmangphilly View Post
    Could a kind ( clever ) person put the pic up or send it tome please . I cant open it .

Ta .

Yes. I'm inept . It's painful
    Here you go. Click on them then they open on another page then click again and it will enlarge. Well it does for me.

[IMG] [/IMG]

Any more information on the cylinder?. Atb mick

Previous owner over filling therefore stressing parts that under normal pressure would be ok ???
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Does the area that has cracked get screwed onto a mount so that the mouth is stressed? If so it might have expanded when it is screwed on hard and cracked. If so it needs to be a lot thicker.

That missing chip would have me suspecting it’s been dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    That missing chip would have me suspecting it’s been dropped.
    This is exactly what I was thinking. The relief at the top looks like where the 'O' ring would sit and as mentioned previously looks a little thin in my opinion.
    I would agree that revealing the maker is the right thing to do here. There are a few threads going around the forums regarding catastrophic failure of a 300 bar inline compressor filter which lots of people have been using on their airgun compressors which could have turned out very nasty.

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

Anothermiss said "but please give other people the opportunity to check their cylinders".
    Perhaps people with aftermarket cylinders should just check theirs as a matter of course. It would be the sensible thing to do.

I wouldn’t stop at aftermarket ones.