Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BSA Mercury

BSA Mercury

Ok all just wondering how many out there are collecting these old rifles ,i started to collect them as it was the first gun i had as a kid and just want a full set i know old man trying to get youth back lol.

I now have the Mk2 Mk3 ,Challenger in .22 and a lost in post Mk1 hoping they find it , i only have a Mk2 in .177 and the mercury magnum .25 so just wondering what you have in your collection .

I have referbed most new seals metal work blued by paul chell on the ones that needed it and on the paint ones i did that myself , i don't know how to add pictures here or would put some up thanks

I collect Bsa Mercury's ive got around 6 of various MK's my favourite is an early MK1 its a cracker and shoots great as good as most modern day breakbarrel springers.

Dave.

Merc's are one of my favourite springers I have five a MK1,MK2 a Mercury S and two Challengers .177 and .22.They have all the elegant appeal of the Airsporter without that awful tap!

Cheers guys , a few saythey can not hit a barn door with them but if i am honest my one as a kid took many a rat in the barns and a fair few pigeons to , i always wanted to get another but well teens got me in to beer and ladies then well marriage and work took my life over now i am retired i just wanted to get a full set , mainly to pass on to my niece when i pop me clogs lol as a walking dead man the nurses called me i guess well my niece said pick something you love so i have lol .

I am sure her hubby will get more use than my niece but she asked for something to have as a keep sake .

have fun guys i am hoping to get a few shots in the garden this weekend weather permitting

I like BSA’s in general and started collecting them many years ago, probably went overboard due to the fact that my Mum wouldn’t let me have one when I was a kid. Just sold an Airsporter Centenary but still have a Mk1 Stutzen, Airsporter RB2, Airsporter Mk5, Airsporter S Mk1, Goldstar, Lightning XL Centenary, Mercury Mk3, Mercury S, Supersport and a Superstar. Great guns from a bygone age

I must admit the Mercury is a favourite of mine....I have 16 in various forms....including 5x Challengers (one of which is a Carbine and one a .25 )......I also have a Target.....a Cobra Magnum....a Mk.2 with a beautiful birdseye maple stock...and a Mk3 which I'm not sure about as it does not say Mercury on it but 2 small holes between the sight grooves? ...anybody any ideas on that one?.....going back to the maple one I also have a Meteor which had the usual brown factory stain but I could see the grain through it and so had the stain removed to reveal birdseye maple....has anyone else here got one?

I have a .22 Mercury which is currently not pushing a pellet out but the stock could be described as blonde. The rifle I shoot with most is a BSA Supersport Carbine with a barrel weight on it. BSA certainly knew how to make a durable gun.... the Mercury is also a bit of a looker.

I’ve had a few over the years, the favourite being a beautiful 635 Magnum Deluxe which I regret selling to this day.

Currently have a Mk2 which is a complete project with a shortened barrel that I picked up on here a while back. Love the shotgun-like handling of these, less impressed with the shallow scope rails.

Hi

I've four Merc's but have to say, I think this is my fave..

Anyone notice anything unusual about it?

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi

Anyone notice anything unusual about it?

John
    Its a standard with a breech bolt?

[ Whats my prize? ]
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Its a standard with a breech bolt?

[ Whats my prize? ]
    But, also the Bowkett sticker could have worn off

Thats a fine looking rifle.... absolutely beautiful

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Yes I have a few, a standard but in excellent condition Mercury S mk2 and a Challenger but I also have several other Mercs and Challengers with Lightning barrels fitted and different stocks, I made a bit of a bitsa rifle the other week, I also have a Supersport custom model with a .25 Lightning barrel, which is a scream to shoot.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

And people wonder why i collect these lol , these guns when loved look a peach and my collection will pass to my niece so i am sure her hubby will get some fun from them but i have yet to train him on how to show them love a oily rag once a month and little care and they will last a life time .

That is a cracker but not sure on the barrel shroud

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeymoo View Post
    ot say Mercury on it but 2 small holes between the sight grooves? ...anybody any ideas on that one?.....going back to the maple one I also have a Meteor which had the usual brown factory stain but I could see the grain through it and so had the stain removed to reveal birdseye maple....has anyone else here got one?
    Yes, I got one from Louis on here when he was having a clear out before heading back over the water. It’s a beauty and really deserves a well blued rifle to sit in it.