Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HW35 maintenance

I'll have to check the axis pins more closely tonight and I'll take a couple of pictures too. The scratches didnt appear uniform like youd see if the arm was rubbing the cylinder. Seemed more like the edges on the end of the cocking arm had dragged across the surface when it was withdrawn.

Also appreciate finding out it is a luxus, my knowledge of the various models that have been and gone is very limited. Apparently the only reason he was drawn to it in the shop was the fact he recognised it was a 35 but and liked the look of the wood and had never seen one without the finger grooves before.
    Be good. And if you can't be good, be good at being bad.

So this is what I was talking about. Scratches from the cocking arm being pulled out the slot 😣 http://imgur.com/a/3ru6AtW

The roller on the axis of the arm still seems to be doing its job. Although you can see where the roller has been running along the surface the arm and cylinder show no signs of having come together.

And a big shout out to Tinbum for the advice hes provided to make sure fitting the maxi kit is a trouble free experience in this gun with a leather seal. How to measure up etc to make sure it doesn't get coil bound. A truly top class service!

I see what you mean. The scratch looks random from disassembly.

Yes it does. Shame, but not the end of the world.

To pick up on a few of your observations if I may, charliemow......As you have witnessed, very often when stripping these solidly made guns you'll find the internals in fine fettle; even on guns that have seemingly had a hard life.

That Mr Tinbum chap certainly does deliver a first rate personal service.

If you haven't done so / planned already, please fit a new breech seal too as a matter of course.

Enjoy the rebuild and resultant fettled rifle; it'll be more than worth the while. Your friend's dad will appreciate it even more, for sure.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I've been providing regular updates with photos and the odd video to show them what's being done. His dad could never understand why I'd bother stripping the trigger units down and inspecting the contact surfaces, or steaming out every little bump on a stock when I was doing my friends guns. He thought it was all a bit OTT. He's changed his tune a bit now and is really glad his rifle is getting the treatment it deserves.

Cheers for the tip on the breech seal. Sure I've got a spare somewhere.

And continuing the theme of finding little hidden flaws, earlier I noticed that the foresight tunnel wasn't sitting square on the barrel dovetails. Loosen the clamp screw, slid off, and someone has managed to get it crossed up on the dovetail and then wrenched it tight. It'll need to some attention to dress the edges and surfaces so it slides on nicely again. 🙄 #sigh