Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can oiling your barrel cause dieseling

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

Can oiling your barrel cause dieseling

I have had a few odd readings after getting guns out of storage when I have used an oiled pull through before storing, so I am a bit reluctant to oil barrels now, so I was wondering if it's a fact that springers diesel with an oiled barrel?

Well I would say there’s every likelihood of a springer dieseling if it’s an underlever or Sidelever tap type breech as the air will be drawn in from the front of the muzzle. Not so sure if it’s a break barrel or sliding breech type of mechanism… I’m sure some of our learned friends on here will elucidate. 😎

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    Yes it will cause dieselling
    If it is a well used gun the build up of lead in the barrel should prevent rust
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfish View Post
    Yes it will cause dieselling
    If it is a well used gun the build up of lead in the barrel should prevent rust
    What if you use lead free pellets

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    What if you use lead free pellets
    Then it doesn't matter what state the barrels in as they don't go straight anyway
    Pete

I have had a few odd readings after getting guns out of storage when I have used an oiled pull through before storing, so I am a bit reluctant to oil barrels now, so I was wondering if it's a fact that springers diesel with an oiled barrel?
    I'm guessing that it will. You could, and always should, run a couple dry patches through to remove the oil before shooting.

I don't bother so much because my air rifles are in regular use but my rim and centre fires do get a clean and oiling after each outing so they do get dry patched before they are next shot.

I'd say almost certainly, and if you stored the rifle muzzle up, and oil got into the transfer port, then dieseling is assured.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Only if stored in a way the oil could get into the cylinder.

Its better to oil barrels before storage than not get a few diesel shots IMOP.
    Master Debater

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    I'd say almost certainly, and if you stored the rifle muzzle up, and oil got into the transfer port, then dieseling is assured.
    This
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

If it worries you, why not just pull a patch through the barrel before shooting?
    (and like BTDT says, store it so the oil wont run into the TP)
    Too many airguns!

BarryG,

For preserving the bore, I use a rust inhibiting grease instead of oil on my pull-through patches.

Doesn't run off like oil, and rifles can be stored either way up.

I always pull through with a couple of clean patches before use.

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

i made that mistake lots of years ago never again

Oiling barrels

It would depend on what and how much you use. A less viscous oil would be more likely to find it's way into the transfer port.

All my guns are cleaned after each outing. My airguns only have the barrels cleaned on rare occasions and I use an oil impregnated felt wad to push through then a dry one. This should be more than sufficient to protect a barrel that will be stored for any length of time and no oil should get into the port.

For my .22 RF I occasionally dip a couple of bullet heads in chainsaw oil and fire them through if it's not going to be used for a while. Of course there isn't the same issue.
    Last edited by Brano; 07-11-2021 at 02:55 PM.
    Always on the look out for Brum / Venom - Webley Longbow / Tommie rifles and parts.

Less viscous?

Just to clarify I am aware that oil should not go into the TP what I did was to use a pull through with a patch lightly oiled with express gun oil then leave the gun barrel down for a few days before storing, so I don't think that any oil was going into the TP but I was wondering if there could still be a bit of a diesel with the compression in the barrel itself, just enough to add a few FPS ?