Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue book

Blue book

I’ve just noticed a new edition of this has come out, and as mine was over a decade old a copy is winging its way to me courtesy of e b a y. But I couldn’t find any for sale in the uk and it’s coming from the states.

Have I missed something? It’s a bit of a funny book but it does have some use, and I was really surprised I couldn’t find one in the uk.
    Morally flawed

I was also interested in buying the 13th edition, however the £22 shipping made it uneconomical and it more than doubles if you get 2 copies so can’t even go halves on shipping with another buyer. I priced it up on the publishers website as I couldn’t find any decent deals on the bay or Amazon. Still waiting to see if any shops decide to start selling it over here.

https://www.bluebookofgunvalues.com/#/Index
    CZ 200T/200 S Hunter/200 S Green/Slavia ZVP/612/614/615/618/620/622/624/625/627/630/631/634/ZVS Perun 734/CZ236-1/Tex3/86/Brno ZII/ZV3/ZV4/VZ47/APP661/Relum/Mars 618/Stella 518/Predom 188/170/Yunker 1/2/Lov21/Baikal IJ22/IJ38/Vostok/IZH61/IZH53M/MP512M/MP654K/MP661K

I have all 12 editions, so could do with the 13th.

However, postage does seem uneconomical at present unless a shop imports a batch.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Well if someone imported a batch and sold them at Kempton I’m sure there would be a bit of money to be made hint hint
    Morally flawed

Maybe it’s the weight? Lol it’s up to a 1000 pages now! Very few of the pricing estimates have changed since my Eleventh edition. Also the vintage gun information is identical I believe, the additions are modern guns. I was hoping for expanded vintage research but I can’t find any? Sadly some of the major players in its publication have passed away. Still a book worth having.
    Last edited by 45flint; 12-05-2021 at 12:55 PM.

the shipping price put me off

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Maybe it’s the weight? Lol it’s up to a 1000 pages now! Very few of the pricing estimates have changed since my Eleventh edition. Also the vintage gun information is identical I believe, the additions are modern guns. I was hoping for expanded vintage research but I can’t find any? Sadly some of the major players in its publication have passed away. Still a book worth having.
    With the massive page count, I wonder if it would be an idea to have two separate volumes; one for discontinued and collectable airguns and another for the modern ones?

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

ive fancied on for a while now.
    it doesn't have to be the new one,even an early one would do but they just dont come up for sale very often
    i dont suppose any of you fine gentlemen would have a duplicate/copy in there collection they would sell?
    (thats an orginal one youve doubled up on,not a 'copy' as such)

Ok guys if anyone can tell me where to order in the states i might be able to get my friend in NY to post me a batch out i would have them posted to her then she could post on to me depending on weight i think 7lb was $40 last package she sent me , so if we figure out 10 books weight she might be able to just jiffy them thanks if it helps happy to do it

is it this site you lot mean and the 42nd edition

https://www.bluebookofgunvalues.com/...t_Value_Guides
    Last edited by steptoe1966; 12-05-2021 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe1966 View Post
    Ok guys if anyone can tell me where to order in the states i might be able to get my friend in NY to post me a batch out i would have them posted to her then she could post on to me depending on weight i think 7lb was $40 last package she sent me , so if we figure out 10 books weight she might be able to just jiffy them thanks if it helps happy to do it

is it this site you lot mean and the 42nd edition

https://www.bluebookofgunvalues.com/...t_Value_Guides
    That’s the one. It’s the 13th edition the 42nd is powder burners.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    With the massive page count, I wonder if it would be an idea to have two separate volumes; one for discontinued and collectable airguns and another for the modern ones?

John
    I don’t disagree but the vintage guns version would need to have some people step up and be willing to add more research? Question if that will happen given the major players there are gone. I think Tom Gaylord is the last one left? Some prices have been adjusted so it’s not totally static? The real idea of these books is to be estimating current value, tuff job really.

micky2 is online now The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I don’t disagree but the vintage guns version would need to have some people step up and be willing to add more research? Question if that will happen given the major players there are gone. I think Tom Gaylord is the last one left? Some prices have been adjusted so it’s not totally static? The real idea of these books is to be estimating current value, tuff job really.
    How do they estimate the values . do they use auction results or what dealers are asking, or something else.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    How do they estimate the values . do they use auction results or what dealers are asking, or something else.
    Really don’t know but I think it’s the editors view? I have found the prices to be in the ballpark?

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    Tbh I think they pull them out of their “ass” (well it is an American book). There are thousands of guns in the book, most given five or more values depending on condition. Really? But for anything rare the value is what a buyer and a seller agree on on the day

To give just three examples I found this morning (7th Ed), apparently a crosman 104 (made for one year) is worth no more than a crosman 102 (made for c 15 years), a pro sport (which you can buy new today) is worth more than a pro elite (and in the US they can run the pro elite as it was intended, too, which must make it more not less desirable), and a Benjamin 422, in mint condition: $115, but a bog standard EB series at 100% : $165. Well I’ll swap an EB for as many 422s as you’ve got, thanks, and even let you keep the 50USD difference

I’m hoping the latest edition has corrected the famous “fewer than 50 Tell 3s” claim too.
    Morally flawed

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    Tbh I think they pull them out of their “ass” (well it is an American book). There are thousands of guns in the book, most given five or more values depending on condition. Really? But for anything rare the value is what a buyer and a seller agree on on the day

To give just three examples I found this morning (7th Ed), apparently a crosman 104 (made for one year) is worth no more than a crosman 102 (made for c 15 years), a pro sport (which you can buy new today) is worth more than a pro elite (and in the US they can run the pro elite as it was intended, too, which must make it more not less desirable), and a Benjamin 422, in mint condition: $115, but a bog standard EB series at 100% : $165. Well I’ll swap an EB for as many 422s as you’ve got, thanks, and even let you keep the 50USD difference

I’m hoping the latest edition has corrected the famous “fewer than 50 Tell 3s” claim too.
    Well they have corrected your 422, it’s worth more than the EB series but still at $115 which certainly seems light, I paid $150 this year if I remember. The 104 now is worth a little more than a 102. But the 50 Tell 3 myth lives on! That’s sad! If the Blue Book doesn’t step up and replace the Airguns experts they lost, this book will stagnate. I’m sure their real money maker is their firearms book. Airguns are such a narrow market. Who adds to the history, the Crosman area still bears the knowledge given by DT Fletcher, that will be static?