Thread: Milbro-Diana Series 70/Mod 16

Milbro-Diana Series 70/Mod 16

Hello,
    At the end of last week I was given a task by a colleague to "have a look at this" I've done a little research (Google & YouTube) and I think I’ve identified it as a Milbro-Diana Series 70/Mod16. I have found two numbers stamped in the butt 3 & 2, does anyone know their meaning? one thing that is puzzling me is the absence of MOD16 stamped on top of the action which seems to be seen on several of the images on google, does this only appear after a certain date? any help with it’s history/identity would be good.
    Thanks.
    Roger

Not sure if I have uploaded the photos correctly but - fingers are crossed!

Diana Michel rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfox1307 View Post
    Hello,
    At the end of last week I was given a task by a colleague to "have a look at this" I've done a little research (Google & YouTube) and I think I’ve identified it as a Milbro-Diana Series 70/Mod16. I have found two numbers stamped in the butt 3 & 2, does anyone know their meaning? one thing that is puzzling me is the absence of MOD16 stamped on top of the action which seems to be seen on several of the images on google, does this only appear after a certain date? any help with it’s history/identity would be good.
    Thanks.
    Roger

This rifle looks exactly like my Diana milbro series 70 model 75 .I also have the model 76 but that as a full steel barrel

Diana Michel rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfox1307 View Post
    Hello,
    Thanks.
    Roger

This rifle looks exactly like my Diana milbro series 70 model 75 .I also have the model 76 but that as a full steel barrel .There should be writing on left hand side of action above the trigger

Hi @Rair rifles & thanks for looking.

There looks to be a similarity to the 75 but there is no 'writing' on the left side of the action, the only 'writing' is on the top with the logo.
    Here's a photo of the left side of the action as it is now & cleaned up a little!...

The barrel and action looks exactly like a Diana G16 in 1966 from new, stock on mine is dark wood and different shape, smooth bore junior rifle.
    a gun is just a tool how its used is dependant on the person behind the trigger .
    This is why constant restrictions on legal users will have no effect on the unlawfull use of guns or knives !

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye View Post
    The barrel and action looks exactly like a Diana G16 in 1966 from new, stock on mine is dark wood and different shape, smooth bore junior rifle.
    Thanks @Hawkeye, there seems to be a few very similar models, I've seen pictures with dark stocks, I wouldn't say that this is dark.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    The stamped numbers are generally the date and month of production, or so it is assumed. this seems to hold true. 3 and 2 might mean 1973, February? The stock medallion on this one is the while plastic which is early 1970s, later replaced by the stamped metal foil one with 'Milbro'. This model wet through various iterations, dark and light stock stains and the stock form altered with fashion. This is consistent with the early 1970s date. Milbro were nothing if not practised at selling he same thing in a new wrapping.

Milbro rifle

Quote Originally Posted by ogilkes View Post
    The stamped numbers are generally the date and month of production, or so it is assumed. this seems to hold true. 3 and 2 might mean 1973, February? The stock medallion on this one is the while plastic which is early 1970s, later replaced by the stamped metal foil one with 'Milbro'. This model wet through various iterations, dark and light stock stains and the stock form altered with fashion. This is consistent with the early 1970s date. Milbro were nothing if not practised at selling he same thing in a new wrapping.
    Hi it's Craig again I think having had a look at your photos again I think you might have a Diana or Milbro model 16 having been put in a series 70 model 76 stock .Having said that I have looked at my Milbro & my Diana model 16 and unless you modify the series 70s stock the model 16 not going in the stock .Could you please measure the length of your stock and let me know then I can compare it to mine .Having done a bit of research I have found that the Milbro series 70s rifle started at 70 in 1970 and finished the range at the series 70 model 80 .Craig
    Last edited by Rair rifles; 14-05-2021 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ogilkes View Post
    Your findings could be quite correct and logical sir, the owner did advise me that it had been in his brother in-laws parents loft, it was put in the loft when he emigrated to Australia about 50years ago which would be around 1971.
    I do tend to agree with your suggestion that Milbro were good at selling the same thing in a new wrapping, a conclusion I came to quite quickly in the small amount of research that I have done. Many thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Rair rifles View Post
    Hi it's Craig again I think having had a look at your photos again I think you might have a Diana or Milbro model 16 having been put in a series 70 model 76 stock .Having said that I have looked at my Milbro & my Diana model 16 and unless you modify the series 70s stock the model 16 not going in the stock .Could you please measure the length of your stock and let me know then I can compare it to mine .Having done a bit of research I have found that the Milbro series 70s rifle started at 70 in 1970 and finished the range at the series 70 model 80 .Craig
    Hi Craig, thanks for looking, I think we are getting somewhere with it now.

I have measured stock length from furthest point left to the furthest point right (Bottom left to top right) is 20 5/16" (or 519mm).

Thanks. Rodge.

Model 16

Hi Roger just measured my model 75 stock it's roughly 24 inch in length .Which means you're must have been shortened to take the action from a model 16 Exactly the same stock colour and everything but yours is shorter .I will see what I can do about the numbers good luck regards Craig