Thread: Acvoke Rifling?

Acvoke Rifling?

Does anyone know if there was a technical reason the post war Acvoke had anti clockwise rifling. The pre war Warrior may be the same but I don't know.

It used to be the theory that arms meant to be used in the northern hemisphere were to be rifled with R/h twist and those for the southern hemisphere were rifled with a L/h twist. Something to do with bullet rotation counteracting drift caused at longer range by the rotation of the earth.. Too technical for me to bother with but the effect may have affected big artillery pieces such as the Paris guns .

For shortbrange guns such as air pistols it doesn't really matter so it probably boiled down to which manufacturer supplied the tooling or cheapest barrels. Maybe they were just trying to emulate Webley, didn't they use a l/h twist?
    Last edited by WebleyWombler; 13-05-2021 at 04:36 PM.

....it's all to do with the Coriolis effect, well at longer ranges at any rate. For shorter ranges especially pistol ranges its pretty academic. As to why one maker chooses rh or lh I think it's down to manufacturers choice when it comes down to it. Many, possibly the majority used or use right hand twist possibly down to manufacturing expedience. Some thoughts are that rh is the natural way to go since most machine threads are rh; athough Colt for instance used lh rifling, not sure why but they did.
    Thinking about it odd things come to mind, like the sight on the Artillery model Luger. As you raise it to its maximum graduated range (800m?) the sight dosent go straight up, it is made to go off to the side as it is raised to compensate for the drift at long range ....Coriolis effect.