Thread: Early Straight Grip Mk1 second series.

Early Straight Grip Mk1 second series.

Very pleased with my recent acquisition from one of few auction houses that will still post pre 39 air weapons. Very good untampered condition. Bluing faded as expected but minimal signs of any corrosion. First variant after the spring clip model. Stamped with British patent but foreign patents still pending.

I stripped and did some very light restoration (fine wire wool and gun oil etc). Its showing very few signs of use although the spring needed replacing as it was broken.
    Now cocks and shoots beautifully.

The surprise bonus was the box and a plethora of leaflets and brochures - some I have never seen before - including a dated 1930 price list... :-)
    Box is in a bad way but the printed lid label is one of the best I have, showing original colours well.
    Some pics of leaflets here.
    http://imgur.com/a/qEHWKrl. Happy do better ones if folk interested.

What's the advice from this group on how best to try and stick the box back together. It's worth doing well, but not something I've tried before. Advice appreciated.

Also, anyone know if the small envelope is original and if it was, then what would have been in it?

Best
    Steve
    Last edited by Mobiasstrip; 13-05-2021 at 06:34 PM.

That's a nice set Steve. Good to see one so complete. The box can be sympathetically restored with PVA glue and lots of patience!

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

The small blue label (hang tag) is very rare. I have one with a pistol of similar age and was informed by a serious collector he's only seen one in over 50 years ! As John says nice to see the pistol with all the accessories. I think the little envelope was for a spare breech seal washer. Regards Tim.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    A very nice buy, along with the box which is not beyond repair as said above, and those leaflets are rarer than the pistol. yes l can confirm the little brown enverlope did have a leather breach seal in it.