Thread: Rat catcher v Rabbit Stopper (2260) Bolt/probe compatibility??

Rat catcher v Rabbit Stopper (2260) Bolt/probe compatibility??

Hi folks,
    My Brother in law bought a Crosman 2260 Rabbit stopper off a member on here, he’s very pleased with it but now has the bug and he wants to fit a multi shot adaptor. It’s one of the side loading ones, a Crosman Gravmag 9s. The problem is the 2260 has been fitted with a longer probe and the info says the adaptor won’t work with them, only the std bolt/probe.

I’ve got a bolt from a std plastic breached Crosman Ratcatcher, does anyone know if it’ll fit the metal breech ?

Thanks in advance,

Norm

I wouldn't know for sure but would guess that it won't as, usually, when buying a steel breech for the "Ratty range" you have to buy the separate bolt (or, if using the Crosman kit, the new bolt supplied) that screws together as the standard one won't split? Having said that, because I have always used the replacement bolt I've never tried to split the standard bolt. I wonder if it might split if heat were applied? If it won't, all's not lost as I'm sure G-Mac could supply a shorter one / already list one. And I would also hazard a guess that the bolt from the steel breech 2250XL might be shorter and do the trick?

Hope this helps a little.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    just touch the entended tip on a grindstone until it clears, job done.
    As Tony intimates the breeches/bolts are the same and interchangeable, but the steel ones need the screw in bolt handle.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Alternatively I’d be happy to swap your extended probe for the standard steel breech 2250 probe on my 2240?

std plastic probe needs the handle punching out and tapping 8-32 then it becomes the same as a steel breech probe

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    just touch the entended tip on a grindstone until it clears, job done.
    As Tony intimates the breeches/bolts are the same and interchangeable, but the steel ones need the screw in bolt handle.
    Quote Originally Posted by lightning22 View Post
    Alternatively I’d be happy to swap your extended probe for the standard steel breech 2250 probe on my 2240?
    I’ve advised him to keep the extended one for the time being in case he decides to change back if the magazine causes any issues. If he does decide to sell it I’ll put it on here

Quote Originally Posted by --ped-- View Post
    std plastic probe needs the handle punching out and tapping 8-32 then it becomes the same as a steel breech probe
    Thanks for that ped ( and Tony ). I’ve successfully pushed out the bolt handle on my one, now to find an 8/32” tap ! I’ve got loads of taps I inherited from my late friend and most are imperial so I should be able to sort it

Cheers,

Norm

Hi ped
    Amongst my many inherited taps I’ve found one that looks the right sort of size, it’s marked 8 with a 32 over the top of UNC is this the right one ? It also says drill size 2.9 ( presumably 2.9mm )
    Testing it it seems to be about right to tap out the hole in the bolt

Cheers,

Norm

sounds right but the tap drill chart i use is 3.5mm for 8-32
    the hole in the probe is the right size to tap 8-32 though

sounds right but the tap drill chart i use is 3.5mm for 8-32
    the hole in the probe is the right size to tap 8-32 though
    Out of interest what do the numbers mean ? I did wonder if the 32 was the pitch ie 32 per inch ? But what does the 8 mean ??

Cheers,

Norm

the smaller unf/unc go up in numbers a bit like BA but opposite as they go down in size from 0
    the 32 is tpi
    you'll find some sizes match bsf but thread angle is 55* on bsf and a 3/16"bsf will screw into a 10-32 thread

often wondered that,you learn something new every day thanks for explaining