Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Budget Side Focus scope required, how little can you spend?

Some good comments, if we are talking seriously re FT then a minimum of 24x is required with half decent glass so they atleast have a chance to rangefind accurately, they can always turn the mag back to shoot.
    To avoid the "10 minute wonder" they need some success, as hitting what you aim at makes you smile.
    Ignore the 3-9 stuff, but defo buy used as mentioned and make sure it works or they will soon get fed up.
    VAYA CON DIOS

It will cost you an arm & a leg trying different scopes to find one that's best for you. I personally prefer Bushnell's but also have Hawke scopes. The Vantage or Airmax seems to be good vfm & if you buy used if you don't like you can sell on for about the same money. Look in the for sale section. Loads of scopes available.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

A cheap bad scope is asking for a heap of trouble and real frustration. Pay the money that gives the beginner half a chance to hit stuff and enjoy the shooting experience. Save weight on getting the right weight rifle, BSA Ultra or something.
    For range-finding then that takes quite some scope glass acreage, sophistication, and build quality. Can get bulky and heavy fast. Better to do less magnification, smaller, lighter, and the quality than "have it all". I agree side parallax focus is worth having.
    A Bushnell Elite is quality, and Vortex are going some nice stuff. Be careful with Hawke as some are great and some just aren't that great being built to a price and not very reliable or sharp. Their better stuff is good, but isn't £100. Personally I don't think a scope with loads of features can be done right for under £100. A load less features maybe.

Most PCP's shoot very well. Only at advanced level does it get interesting. Got to get there first and good kit will get you near enough to know what more to put even more investment to.

Thanks again guys, daughters eyesight is quite poor. Obviously my gun is heavy and too long for her so she could not get a
    clear focus, I doubt any amount of tinkering will sort that using my setup.

Another thing I need to consider when making a final shortlist, amount of adjustment on the eyepiece. Wonder if she will need
    different glasses for shooting? We had to get her prescription swimming goggles.

They seem keen to put the work in with working out the distances and using the turrets etc. So we are now looking at a 24X with
    side focus and easy adjust turrets. Possibly with illumination. Although they dont want something that weighs 1kg+.

Difference between the vantage and airmax? Prices seem similar depending on the actual model.

Thanks.

Dont get too hung up on the weight, something that is shorter and balanced is better than something lighter and unbalanced.
    If they are prepared to put the work in then it wont matter as they will learn,adapt to handling the weight.
    Obviously dont go silly, but like mentioned earlier the Bushnell Elite scopes are superb at 24x and rear focus really works so will help with your daughters eyes.
    VAYA CON DIOS

Forget FT. High mag maybe OK to assist in range finding but to get a scope you can ACTUALLY trust to give you a consistent reading, you HAVE to spend the money. THERE IS NO ALTERNATIVE.

The other issue, is the higher the mag, the more sensitive to alignment and movement it becomes. A lot of FT shooters will crank it up to range but pull it back for the shot. You do not need to see "made in China" on the kill paddle. High mag is NOT your friend unless you really practice and can plough through the frustrations.

If you want a bit more umph, go bench. by podding the front and bagging the butt, sorting the height and body position etc., you are giving them both the potential to whack what they are aiming at.

Keep the ranges sensible. if you want to test them get a reducer BUT keep it close until they are regularly dropping it. Then and only then can you push it out a bit further. If you over push it, they will not enjoy. Its a walk not a race.

Also, know when to take a break or indeed, when to stop shooting for the day. Always walk away on a positive feeling. If they walk away frustrated, it will just fester.

You primary issue is that the perception for a scope is very individual. You give 10 shooters a scope and you will get 12 opinions back. My mate shoots a Bushnell elite 1200 (I think that is right) but I don't think its nothing better than a bit of drainpipe.

I would look at a better image EVERY TIME and a ret that works for them - especially your lass. She will have the least ability to adapt so reverse the approach and find a scope that works for her and you compromise.

For clarity, I thought the Optisan EVX range gave very good image quality. MTC too - speak to GaryC on here. he is a miserable ol bugga but under that crusty old hide is a decent and knowledgeable guy. Tell him I recommended you and it might lessen the swearing

You will be in a dilemma re buying 2nd hand or new. both have relative advantages but 2nd hand the least options if it isn't right.

Also consider a club - most members are usually more than happy to let you try and will give feedback re what hot and what's not plus possibly a richer environment and they can compete with peers.

Bench it, don't worry about weight. you can start messing with their heads re range finding later.

I would also look at HFT - you don't need high mag - it does you no favours. A good image and the right reticule for your eyes is far more important and the other shooters you will be with are always willing to help and offer advice. Mostly good but you will need to sift the knowledge from the wannabes.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Cool

Something not discussed so far. If you change the focus using the AO/side focus or dial in the turrets instead of using holdover/under, the scope has to reliably point where you adjust it to. A simple test is, using the same aim point (don’t worry if a little off ‘zero’ - indeed, better if it is) fire one shot; ten clicks up - shoot one pellet; ten clicks right - shoot one pellet; ten clicks down - shoot one pellet; ten clicks left - shoot one pellet. Are the holes in a perfect square, do the first and last holes line up (within your shooting skill)? They should. Very few of the scopes I’ve had can achieve this. From reports, this is a widespread problem with cheaper scopes and not unknown with mid price ones (£500 - £2000). The other problem widely discussed is, using the AO/ side focus can affect the aim point - I’ve not experienced this as much.

Aside from how well the scope works mechanically, everyone’s eyes are different and how our eye/brain interact are critical to how well we shoot with a scope. I, for instance, am a better shot using a reticle with a dot rather than a cross. I also like fine reticles (like the Airmax, SWFA or Sightron).

In the past, I’ve spoken with Optics Warehouse, who sent four scopes to me (I had to pay for all four up front) on the basis I didn’t mount them and could return what I didn’t like. That way I could look through them and see if any worked with my eyes.

I was having a good look around the Optics website last night after reading the latest comments, they seem
    to have more stock than JSR.

Rather than going ultra budget cheapy scope to my original thoughts, something lower down the scale but
    a hawke or similar instead. Something to get them hitting the closer targets and then work up from there.

The scopes will come in useful on other gunslater because I have a big shortage on scopes.

Thank you all for the input.