Thread: Explosives Certificate - Reclassification of blackpowder substitutes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZAKDINGEL View Post
    I have never loaded Black powder so at the moment no need for a ticket ==but what I cant understand is why put a explosive into a sealed container surly its far safer to be stored on a self in a cool place out of sight then if there was a fire "god forbid" it would burn up quickly rather than be contained --your just storing a bomb when its boxed
    Blackpowder is an explosive. it will explode if in a fire.

Smokeless powder is not. It burns fiercely if in a fire.

Storing blackpowder in a box is so the occupants have time to vacate the premises before it explodes if there is a fire.

When the BP box was first introduced, like you, I thought it would be a potential bomb. I wrote to the HSE, Explosives, to express my concern. They explained the reason to me and then it made sense. If I recall correctly in their tests it took approximately 18 minutes for the fire to ignite the blackpowder. (Ample time to vacate the premises). The time, obviously, is dependent on the fierceness of the fire in relation to the location of the BP.
    Last edited by enfield2band; 20-05-2021 at 05:20 PM.

https://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr991.pdf

This is the HSE blackpowder storage test results. The video of it is very good.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

what will happen to all who have 777 at home without a bp licence ?
    looks like those who dont shoot have made the laws to those that do lol.......another cock up

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    https://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr991.pdf

This is the HSE blackpowder storage test results. The video of it is very good.
    Thanks for the pdf it is interesting.
    When I wrote to them it was when the storage of blackpowder was proposed. In their reply they briefly outlined the test and the reason for it. It seems they have done more research into it and more information is now available.
    It does surprise me that they did not use the plastic canisters BP comes in. The substitutes they used might be a different grade of plastic that is more heat resistant and may be thicker walled and not give a completely accurate result.