Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: so what is 12ftlb?

so what is 12ftlb?

Here are a few common things doing 12ftlb as a comparison. It might be useful to anyone writing letters.

A cricket ball at about 30mph. A fast bowler can throw at 90mph.
    A football at 20mph. A good kick by an adult will be 60mph.
    A golf ball at 60pmph. A average golfer can do 130mph.
    A small car at 0.4mph. Most can do 100mph.

BB.

It's a pain in the ... atb mick

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
    Here are a few common things doing 12ftlb as a comparison. It might be useful to anyone writing letters.

A cricket ball at about 30mph. A fast bowler can throw at 90mph.
    A football at 20mph. A good kick by an adult will be 60mph.
    A golf ball at 60pmph. A average golfer can do 130mph.
    A small car at 0.4mph. Most can do 100mph.

BB.
    Good information for comparisons, thank you.
    But, playing Devil's advocate, there are issues with them that could be pointed out:
    Cricket ball: generally speaking the recipient of the ball will receive it in the full knowledge they could be hit by it and may well be wearing protection ... batsman / wicket keeper. Does not apply to the crowd though although it could be argued that they are in range of the flying ball by choice. (generally).
    Football: Much the same argument but due to the size of the ball injury will be less serious due to impact area.
    Car: 0.4mph impact is unlikely to cause serious injury ... note I say 'unlikely' as I accept it could. I think the 100mph note is irrelevant.
    Golf ball is my favourite and the one I would rate the best due to the small projectile area of impact that could cause serious damage/harm.

Sorry if this appears negative ... it is not meant to be so, just that the comparisons could be shot down by an ardent anti-shooter.
    As a thought: how many incidents causing harm to someone are there for each category? Does anyone know?

If you are really interested in such things I remember being told that when it comes to horticultural / agricultural accidents then people standing an a rake and getting clouted is high on the list, as it tripping over a hosepipe.

Cheers, Phil

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Kids/absolute beginners recurve archery bow.

(I chrono'd my 32lb draw weight at 25 FP, I guess the 40lb will be well over 30)
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I have been hit by a football. I wouldn't like to be hit by a golf ball.

When playing cricket for school, I had to face the under 16's County bowler. Never even saw it coming. Lucky for me he missed the first bowl and had me out with the second.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    It's probably not such a bad thing TBH

If you think about it, any more would be a real pain trying to keep it safe in the garden, and more would kill not only quarry, but most of the targets on our ranges if we used over 12fpe on them.

So although we all want "a bit more", you also have to be careful what you wish for if we are to keep using our guns unhindered

Jamnes
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Kids/absolute beginners recurve archery bow.

(I chrono'd my 32lb draw weight at 25 FP, I guess the 40lb will be well over 30)
    LOL that's nothing, A light spear thrown at 73.5 fps weighting 2lbs is 167 ft/lbs

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    LOL that's nothing, A light spear thrown at 73.5 fps weighting 2lbs is 167 ft/lbs
    for sure. I guess I'm making the point that a small child could draw and shoot a bow generating well over 12 FP
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

It is what it is. 12ftld is capable of killing in the wrong hands.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

So, can I hunt deer with a fast bowler standing out of the sunroof of my car?

All of the above.

It's really simple.......https://youtu.be/pXw7LYWNi5E.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Edge View Post
    It is what it is. 12ftld is capable of killing in the wrong hands.

The UK government have determined that 1 joule is lower lethal figure and that is why the Scots government have set that limit for non licenced guns.

it was in a consultation document a few years back and has now been adopted but the document also recommended leaving the air gun limits as they were.

Anyone remember the very old 'Avengers' episode on telly where bignobs were being bumped off on a golf course. An air gun firing golf balls was used and the deaths were classed as accidental until investigated. It was, I think in the first series with Diana Rigg in it.

Antoni is online now There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonjon79 View Post
    No,

because a fast bowler needs to physically run to get the body to achieve the enormous power of bowling. Otherwise I think that the resulting enegy would be sufficient to humanely dispatch a deer provided it stood at the correct distance and didn't duck its head, although even that would probably not be legal (for the bowler, as the deer's actions are not subject to UK law).

I've heard the 160 gram / 2470 grain ball is launched at abt 90 mph / 132 fps, if so, a fast bowler can achieve....

96 FtLb.

Hence the invention of the 'cricketer's box'.
    Last edited by Antoni; 20-05-2021 at 07:59 AM.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

Antoni is online now There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
    Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    Anyone remember the very old 'Avengers' episode on telly where bignobs were being bumped off on a golf course. An air gun firing golf balls was used and the deaths were classed as accidental until investigated. It was, I think in the first series with Diana Rigg in it.
    I don't remember that particular airing but my family knew that I loved that series so much that I would be woken up from bed (aged 6) and allowed to come down to watch it on TV late at night. Still think it had absolutely brilliant 60s styling and writing.

I do remember one scene where John Steed had only a pistol cartridge as a weapon. He used it by putting it into a knot-hole in a fence post and then twatting the back end with a stone, thus killing the bad man. I thought that far-fetched even at the age of six....
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

Quote Originally Posted by Jonjon79 View Post
    You'll be lucky .

Everyone knows deer are masters of the Hook shot .