Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: so what is 12ftlb?

My eldest lad is a 'grand master bowman' his compound bow is a tad over 50ft/lbs. The accuracy achievable is amazes me!

Quote Originally Posted by Antoni View Post
    No,

because a fast bowler needs to physically run to get the body to achieve the enormous power of bowling. Otherwise I think that the resulting enegy would be sufficient to humanely dispatch a deer provided it stood at the correct distance and didn't duck its head, although even that would probably not be legal (for the bowler, as the deer's actions are not subject to UK law).

I've heard the 160 gram / 2470 grain ball is launched at abt 90 mph / 132 fps, if so, a fast bowler can achieve....

96 FtLb.

Hence the invention of the 'cricketer's box'.
    I don't know what a baseball weighs, but pitchers are getting up to 103 mph fastball.

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I don't know what a baseball weighs, but pitchers are getting up to 103 mph fastball.
    https://www.baseballprospectus.com/n...and-headshots/
    A baseball moving at 95 mph has about 87 foot pounds of kinetic energy.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

I have a slingshot that runs to 24 ftlbs with 1" steel balls and that's legal to carry and use anywhere.

Antoni is offline There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    My souvenir baseball picked up from just outside a baseball park weighs 144 grams / 2222 grains and at 103 mph / 151 fps would have an energy of

113 FtLb

But in that game it is not necessary to be as accurate in ball placement as is necessary in cricket.

I really do need to get out more.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

My old man was a cricketer and on weekends we used to go watch him play.
    I remember when I was about 11, his mate came along to watch and brought his daughter who was about my age.
    It was a very unlucky first experience of cricket for her.

A batsman cracked a ball for a six, which landed in the stand and caught her smack in the mouth. Nasty and required a bit of emergency dentistry and more than a couple of stitches
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    LOL that's nothing, A light spear thrown at 73.5 fps weighting 2lbs is 167 ft/lbs
    Maybe so but a spear wont come even close to the range of even a simple fibre glass beginner bow. That will easily do 200 plus yards and more likely 300. And you better hope your name isnt Harold either
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    None of those examples is arriving at around 600 - 800fps, nor are they concentrating the energy into less than 0.04 sq in. That's gonna hurt!!!

There's a reason why footballs and cricket balls aren't used on bunnies or pigeons.

Jerry

Antoni is offline There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryD View Post
    None of those examples is arriving at around 600 - 800fps, nor are they concentrating the energy into less than 0.04 sq in. That's gonna hurt!!!
    There's a reason why footballs and cricket balls aren't used on bunnies or pigeons.
    But, (were it legal) a 96 FtLb cricket ball arriving at the head of a deer would certainly render it 'hors de combat'.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    Maybe so but a spear wont come even close to the range of even a simple fibre glass beginner bow. That will easily do 200 plus yards and more likely 300. And you better hope your name isnt Harold either
    You might be wrong there what about a atlatl.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    You might be wrong there what about a atlatl.

"the atlatl will allow an average person to throw the dart 90 yards; and a gifted thrower 125 yards, or more."

A jelly bow... nasty fibre glass traing bows will an atalats arse iro of range and probably accuracy too. Within degrees.

A modern recurve or compound has an over shoot of 100 yards as a minimum for safety. And they are shooting flat as opposed at elevation to increase tange so they factor in 200 yards for the arrow to go to ground. Compounds are even faster and also more accurate over range too.

As an ex archer, I know how accurate an olymic recurve can be at 100 yards. I do not think an atalat will have the range and it certainly wont put projectile after projectile on a ring the size of a beer glass at 100.

You go with your atalat and I will dig out my Hoyt and see who lands one in the opponents naddgers first

Its progression of technology appropriate at the time.

There are plenty of development from throwing stones, slings, catapaults, spears, bows..... now we are into rail guns and laser weapons....
    Last edited by Steyr; 25-05-2021 at 10:24 AM.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Antoni View Post
    My souvenir baseball picked up from just outside a baseball park weighs 144 grams / 2222 grains and at 103 mph / 151 fps would have an energy of

113 FtLb

But in that game it is not necessary to be as accurate in ball placement as is necessary in cricket.

I really do need to get out more.
    On the contrary

The pitcher has to "hit" a 'strike zone box' which is approx knee to mid chest, shoulder wide,
    Inside the box is a 'strike', 3 strikes & the batter is out,
    Outside the box is a 'pitch', 4 pitches & the batter gets a free walk to first base.

In Cricket the bowler can miss the stumps with every bowl without penalty

I've become quite addicted to baseball thanks to BT sport