Thread: Stupid mistake. Lesson learnt!

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters

Stupid mistake. Lesson learnt!

Today I went to the range with some .357 rounds made up with my new high power powder. I made 5 each of 12, 13, 14, 15 & 16gr with the intention of starting low and watching for signs of over pressure.

During loading one shell I popped in the box had no primer. Odd? "Hey-ho!" Thinks I, "I'll just pop a primer on it and shoot it off" This would be easier and more fun than trying to empty it with the hammer.

Not knowing how much powder was left in the case I put it separate so as not to confuse accuracy testing. After zero'ing with .38's I loaded this bad boy in, aimed, braced myself for the bigger bang and.....

"Click!"

I counted to ten then ejected the round. It was a spent shell? Had I forgotten to eject the last .38? Nope, the gun is empty. I put the gun down, action open and start scratching my head. Further inspection showed the bullet is nicely stuck in the barrel. There was either no, or very little powder in there, and the bullet got just far enough to have a catastrophic effect if I had followed it up with another shot.

The click really threw me, absolutely no detonation noise!

I have reloaded thousands of rounds since starting last autumn and this was the first missing primer I had come across. Next time I know what to do....

At least you had the presence of mind to check the bore, all too easy to bung another down behind it....

These days I'm 100% pull anything that I'm remotely unsure on, my old scale died a few weeks back and the last couple of batches I did with it are lined up for pulling.

It happens.

I once loaded some shotgun cartridges and the primer pockets were so worn a couple of primers dropped out in my pocket.

Another time I went to the range with a friend of mine. The first shot I fired went "pop". No powder in the case and bullet was jammed in the rifling. Neither of us had a clearing rod. (I always take one with me now). That was my shooting finished for the afternoon all I could do was watch my mate enjoying himself.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    It happens.

I once loaded some shotgun cartridges and the primer pockets were so worn a couple of primers dropped out in my pocket.

Another time I went to the range with a friend of mine. The first shot I fired went "pop". No powder in the case and bullet was jammed in the rifling. Neither of us had a clearing rod. (I always take one with me now). That was my shooting finished for the afternoon all I could do was watch my mate enjoying himself.
    I was alone at the range and had no rods, I have them in my range bag now. The afternoon of testing I had planned turned into a half an hour drive each way with twenty shots fired.
    The really annoying thing is initially I'd packed a couple of boxes of 9mm and the Glock, but decided it was too much to carry

At least your on here writing about a bad afternoon on the range due to a dodgy cartridge, and not in a & e with some missing digits and a god knows what else, could have been worse and glad it wasn’t 👍
    Iv just started loading for my 223 and find myself double checking everything, too paranoid to enjoy it at the minute just in case iv cocked it up without realising
    Once again, glad your ok 👍
    Atb
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Today I went to the range with some .357 rounds made up with my new high power powder. I made 5 each of 12, 13, 14, 15 & 16gr with the intention of starting low and watching for signs of over pressure.

During loading one shell I popped in the box had no primer. Odd? "Hey-ho!" Thinks I, "I'll just pop a primer on it and shoot it off" This would be easier and more fun than trying to empty it with the hammer.

Not knowing how much powder was left in the case I put it separate so as not to confuse accuracy testing. After zero'ing with .38's I loaded this bad boy in, aimed, braced myself for the bigger bang and.....

"Click!"

I counted to ten then ejected the round. It was a spent shell? Had I forgotten to eject the last .38? Nope, the gun is empty. I put the gun down, action open and start scratching my head. Further inspection showed the bullet is nicely stuck in the barrel. There was either no, or very little powder in there, and the bullet got just far enough to have a catastrophic effect if I had followed it up with another shot.

The click really threw me, absolutely no detonation noise!

I have reloaded thousands of rounds since starting last autumn and this was the first missing primer I had come across. Next time I know what to do....
    Yes , put it to one side and then disassemble with a kinetic hammer

Quote Originally Posted by cjos16 View Post
    At least your on here writing about a bad afternoon on the range due to a dodgy cartridge, and not in a & e with some missing digits and a god knows what else, could have been worse and glad it wasn’t 👍
    Iv just started loading for my 223 and find myself double checking everything, too paranoid to enjoy it at the minute just in case iv cocked it up without realising
    Once again, glad your ok 👍
    Atb
    Chris
    Now I'm loading with 3 Vhit powders in identical tubs (N110/140/165), plus N320 in a tub with a different coloured lid I check I'm using the right powder several times, and I've been loading years. Pride before a fall etc.

70-odd grains of N110 in the .300 win mag or a double charge of bullseye in a .44 loaded on my Pro 1000 would not be good. So much so I'm seriously considering flogging the progressive