Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hiding your hobby from the neighbours

Hiding your hobby from the neighbours

Apologies for my first post being a question, especially the contents.

A little while back we had some neighbours move in who I would certainly not want to know about my hobby
    and my guns. Nosy beyond belief and the sort the police know about and even mentioned to us they know about
    their antics. Visitors at odd hours and guilty looks when handing over items whilst trying to be discreet but are
    anything but discreet.

I had to stop practicing in the garden and now things are opening up again its time to think about transporting
    my stuff without them knowing what I carry. Problem is that my car is parked on the road and not directly outside
    the house either. Moving is not an option currently.

Police knocked on the door investigating another crime and the first words from his mouth was that he knew of the
    antics but was here about a serious crime. Surprised by his comment would be an understatement.

So transporting my air rifles in the usual cases with Gun written over them in less than discreet wording is
    out of the question. Is my hobby finished until I move or they move?

Thank you with a sad heart.

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Welcome to the forum. Plenty of take down air rifles available if PCPs are your thing. The air arms TDR has quite a following.

Otherwise bullpups with the mods removed can be very compact. Ugly dogs, all of them though.

If you're after some character, plenty of take downs from the collectables stable. Mostly inspired by day of the Jackal so proper interesting.

If you're into springers, most don't take a lot of effort to remove the action from the stock.

Failing that, modified guitar / trombone case? Avoiding of course any action that could lead to concealed weapon territory.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Get a sea fishing rod holdall and slide your gun (in it's slip ) of course into it.
    These look so obviously ''fishing gear, you should have no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by UnhappyBunny View Post
    Apologies for my first post being a question, especially the contents.
    So transporting my air rifles in the usual cases with Gun written over them in less than discreet wording is
    out of the question. Is my hobby finished until I move or they move?

Thank you with a sad heart.
    No need for your hobby to be finished. Lots of folk transport their gear to a couple of ranges I visit in fishing holdalls and carryalls. You can buy these very cheap as a combo set from loads of different shops, not just tackle shops, slip the rifle into a gun sock and then into the holdall and away you go!

Off on a tanget apologies ,

I have a tele sight up for sale
    I tried to put it on FB marketplace,you should see the message I got from them.I thought I was in for a ban.....
    over reaction is the way some people are.

It's a fair way from Tamworth to the beach, just a thought.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

lol oops that's that one scuppered then.
    Geography isn't my strongest point,I get lost putting the bins out.

Alex.B. is offline Instant Idiot. Just add alcohol.
    Carp fishing pole bags are quite large , or guitar case ,
    Give a dog a home ! Take a rescue dog home, go on you know you want to

Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post
    It's a fair way from Tamworth to the beach, just a thought.

Dave
    It doesnt have to be sea fishing they do use similar items for freshwater fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpygit View Post
    It doesnt have to be sea fishing they do use similar items for freshwater fishing.
    I'm aware, the other reply specifically mentioned sea fishing, hence my reply. Sea fishing tackle is fairly distinctive. Possibly arouse suspicion or further enquiries from the neighbours.

Good idea though.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Born Again is offline Owns three Roy orbison albums
    There's always a golf bag....

Get a fishing hat and a green chair.
    Like everyone else says, diversion tactics.

Hope they get moved on soon.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Agree, make it look like you're hobby is a different one. Shouldn't have to stop doing what you love but it pays to be sensible.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

I know nothing about fishing so that side had not crossed my mind. I did think of musical instrument bags
    or cases. I was not sure if anything would be long enough for an AA400 with a fairly long silencer or a Laminated
    FN19 again with a fairly long silencer.

Hoping there would be an option that did not require those removing. Had silencer issues in the past where it
    had to be fitted precisely otherwise the pellets clipped it. Only using at a club and not at home maybe I can
    do away with those?

Quite like some of the bullpups available, seen reviews of the Walther Reign. Some good and some bad. For that
    money I want something perfect.

Just to clarify for a few, not worried about what the neighbours think of my hobby and they are unlikely to be
    calling the police themselves.

Possibly right about other neighbours maybe worse but none of them seem to have dodgy visitors at all hours
    with constant arguments.

Grateful for any suggestions, Thanks.

Welcome to the forum. Some good suggestions up above. None to add myself, unfortunately. Such a shame when you hear about the police knowing about some people's antics yet seeming powerless to be truly effective in a meaningful way.

As mentioned up above, let's hope this problem moves away soon and that you can become a Happy Bunny once again.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!