Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10m Target Rifle Options?

10m Target Rifle Options?

Hello, new to the forum but have been on and off the ranges for nearly 20 years. Looking at adding a 10m air rifle to the cabinet and considering my options with so little on the market today (ignoring all the carbon fibre, 10k olympic kind of thing).

After some digging and reading I am looking to pick up maybe a Walther LGR or LG90, or go a bit older and find a nice Weihrauch HW55 ( I have a Mk2 HW77 currently and love it in both feel and construction).
    Everyone seems to own a 300s so it would be nice to have something different.

Not really asking for opinions on each rifle as so much will have been posted before found with a little searching, both I think would make excellent choices and everyone has there own personal preference when it comes down to it.
    Really how the top end of yesteryear might compare to the 2 options of today, namely the Air Arms S200 Target and the BSA Silver Star for it's adjustability, though as not even BSA's retailers all offer the Silver Star and never seen anyone use one that might provide somewhat of an answer

I do not currently have a PCP so all the extra's would be needed for the newer ones as well. Any current pitfalls in the above choices where parts might be difficult to get hold of etc?

Target Rifle

I'd go for a Annie 380 but then they are a little hard to find but top of the tree in my book. Can't go wrong with a HW55, easy to work on and a little cheaper to purchase. Mach 1.5

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    I've got way too many 10mtr rifles PCPS, SSPs, Side lever, oil damping, giss, CO2, my preference these days is for simplicity. The 55 is a cracking little rifle that will easily outshoot me.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Must admit I did look around for an Anschutz 380 to see what they were going for, didn't find a single one

Did find an HW55 though which looks like it might be a 55M, just not been able to actually go and have a good look over it yet.
    Trouble is the guy also has a Walther and that might stretch the bank if I came back with both!

Trouble is the guy also has a Walther and that might stretch the bank if I came back with both!
    I doubt there’s many on here that haven’t done something similar
    Morally flawed

Also take a look at the Walther LG55, Diana LG60/65/66 and 75, and the FWB600 series?

I currently use a FWB 300, but have had a 601( stunning rifle) and a Gamo supermatch (nice when working) Protek have a tempting SSP at the mo too...

Quote Originally Posted by AC all day View Post
    I currently use a FWB 300, but have had a 601( stunning rifle) and a Gamo supermatch (nice when working) Protek have a tempting SSP at the mo too...
    As above I have a 602 and it’s awesome rifle, and importantly very adjustable for fit.

And the 300s is popular for a reason. (I have the earlier FWB150T and their sledge system is very good)

If you get a chance try a Tyrolean stock, it was available on some of the earlier offerings and if you get on with them they can be very nice to use.

Cheers,
    Matt

nick_mantis,

As an aside :

As you want a 'shooter', rather than a display piece, spares/comsumables availability is important.

For the vintage rifles, FWB have a distinct advantage when it comes to spares availability.

I have three vintage (3) FWB 10m rifles - a 300 (Not 'S', 300SU, and a 602), and the spares for these are easily available

( The same cannot be said for spares for my Walther LG90 )

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Agree with what PhatMan said about spare part availability if the gun you buy will be put through many cycles again.
    The anschutz 380 is a fine 10 m gun but spares are virtually inexistent.
    You may want to consider the Diana 75 series.
    Once set up correctly, they are bombproof, seals and springs are available, the latter hardly ever wear out or break.They are a bit heavy though so can be a bit overwhelming for newcomers to the sport. They are quite complex to service compared to recoiling springers.

Walther used to make very good single stroke pneumatics and their junior series were light and competitive.
    Spares could be an issue however.
    The availability of compressed air and related paraphernalia is something to consider against the self-contained shooting package of an SSP or a dedicated 10m Springer.

I have to toss in a cheer for the HW 55, a personal favorite of mine.

Keep in mind they were made with a variety of stock styles. The classic "MM" shown in your post is a great all-round design, but the more adjustable "CM" stock is better focused on 10-meter competition, and of course the Tyrolean ones are really lovely. A barrel sleeve and accessory rail are worthwhile adjuncts for the 55.

You might get a giggle from this old ad, which painstakingly explains how the 55 is really BETTER than those pretentious "dead feeling" recoilless guns, LOL...

Last edited by MDriskill; 31-05-2021 at 08:18 PM.

Hw55

Not sure what Weihrauch were thinking with the 32 oz barrel weight on a 55!! Had one on my 55T and really was too heavy. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by MDriskill View Post
    I have to toss in a cheer for the HW 55, a personal favorite of mine.

Keep in mind they were made with a variety of stock styles. The classic "MM" show in your post is a great all-round design, but the more adjustable "CM" stock is better focused on 10-meter competition, and of course the Tyrolean ones are really lovely. A barrel sleeve and accessory rail are worthwhile adjuncts for the 55.

You might get a giggle from this old ad, which painstakingly explains how the 55 is really BETTER than those pretentious "dead feeling" recoilless guns, LOL...

You might also get a giggle out of the notion that America was uninhabited before Columbus 'discovered' it, also implied by this ad - if that's not too PC to point out on this BBS.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Love the ad - which basically says “no-one’s buying these any more so we’ve dropped the price”.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Not sure what Weihrauch were thinking with the 32 oz barrel weight on a 55!! Had one on my 55T and really was too heavy. Mach 1.5
    Agreed...I own one of those just for collectability's sake, but it's pretty much unbearable to actually use! The 14-ounce sleeve looks good, balances well, and will tighten your groups without breaking your arm though. All later HW 55M/MM stocks also have a void in the fore end for another weight (which I don't think I've ever seen offered for sale outside of this ad).
    Last edited by MDriskill; 31-05-2021 at 09:25 PM.