Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10m Target Rifle Options?

Who first came out with the lead weight in the fore-end idea? Walther for the LG55? Or HW? Or someone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Who first came out with the lead weight in the fore-end idea? Walther for the LG55? Or HW? Or someone else?
    I don't know who was first, but for what it's worth, my guess is that Walther beat Weihrauch. My oldest HW 55's have no void in the stock (about which I misspoke above), but with the LG 55 the fore-end weight is downright mandatory, as it supports the little spring that keeps the cocking link in place.

Quote Originally Posted by MDriskill View Post
    I don't know who was first, but for what it's worth, my guess is that Walther beat Weihrauch. My oldest HW 55's have no void in the stock (about which I misspoke above), but with the LG 55 the fore-end weight is downright mandatory, as it supports the little spring that keeps the cocking link in place.
    That’s my guess too. But never had an early HW55 to inspect.

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    nick_mantis,

As an aside :

As you want a 'shooter', rather than a display piece, spares/comsumables availability is important.

For the vintage rifles, FWB have a distinct advantage when it comes to spares availability.

I have three vintage (3) FWB 10m rifles - a 300 (Not 'S', 300SU, and a 602), and the spares for these are easily available

( The same cannot be said for spares for my Walther LG90 )

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Will have to have a look at that, if spare parts for the LG90 are hard to come by then the older LGR should be the same.

Anything Original with the GISS recoiless system I am not looking at for now, not something I am comfortable stripping and maintaining myself.

FWB I have not seen any 600 series come up recently but will keep a look out for them.

The HW55 just appeals somewhat as an accurate springer and, well it's a Weihrauch, unlikely to let you down as long as it's well maintained The recoil on my HW77 has never been an issue and that's double to ft lb of the target rifle, just something you learn to compensate for

Over time a 300, LGR and a PCP would line up with the HW55, I think it's just a question of which one comes along first in the right condition and how much space there is in the cabinet. One has to try all of them and see what fit's the best in the end, and you either move them on to other collectors a open your own small museum.

The HW55 on the previous page is a later MM with the accessory rail underneath , and also now been offered another early S model that has just been fitted with all new seals. Condition and price wise not much to choose between them, just 1 is a trader the other is private.

I'd go for the 55mm if I was you over the older 55 s version. Mach 1.5

Hi, don't forget Walther lgvs ,with the double spring is very smooth, I use Fwb 300s springs in mine
    Walther lg53 m from 1953 has lead weight in forend same as 55 and lgvs,
    A 1951 lg51 doesn't have a weight but is not dedicated target rifle
    Cheers ian

Bit of a moot point now. Was able to go to the dealer this afternoon and the Weihrauch had gone, just hadn't been taken off the website so looked at the Lgr instead.
    Unfortunately all the seals had failed on it so walked away empty handed this time.

Quote Originally Posted by nick_mantis View Post
    Bit of a moot point now. Was able to go to the dealer this afternoon and the Weihrauch had gone, just hadn't been taken off the website so looked at the Lgr instead.
    Unfortunately all the seals had failed on it so walked away empty handed this time.
    Easy to fit new seals on the LGR and they are readily available:

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....y-instructions

Worth doing if you can get it for a good price.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Easy to fit new seals on the LGR and they are readily available:

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....y-instructions

Worth doing if you can get it for a good price.

Matt
    I've seen there are now aftermarket seals available for the lgr. Wanted £400 as it was, just puts you off a bit when a rifle being sold as good condition has something like that going on, start thinking about how well it has been maintained previously etc..
    Was a nice looking gun though, with walther sights and generally clean externally.

I've seen there are now aftermarket seals available for the lgr. Wanted £400 as it was, just puts you off a bit when a rifle being sold as good condition has something like that going on, start thinking about how well it has been maintained previously etc..
    Was a nice looking gun though, with walther sights and generally clean externally.
    But pricey for one needing new seals imo....lovely rifles though.

IMHO, you could get a very decent working one for £400 - or less. So he was asking well (way?) over the odds.

Try again in 6 months when he still has it? Lowball at £160, and see how it goes?

I have a Walther LG210 for sale.

S200t

Im not a competitive shooter and put the diopter sights on my S200T when i want to do a bit of 10m shooting.
    It is more accurate than me and shoots really well with R10 match even at 11ftlb.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

I have shot with an S200 (6ft lb target version) a few times recently, didn't like the trigger that much compared to my good old HW77 Felt a bit flat using it compared to the mechanicals in the older rifles, would agree that it seemed to be pretty accurate though even without being set up to me. Same would probably be true of the BSA Silver Star, so no longer looking at the budget PCP's as an alternative option.

Having owned and used a Weihrauch rekord trigger is a big part of looking at the HW55 as the springer option of a target rifle, and why some of the other offerings may have been overlooked a bit on my search along with offerings I have received of some lovely Walther's over the last few weeks.

On my search I think I am sorted now. Have a very clean Walther LGR Universal on reserve with later tube sight.

Also a pair of Weihrauch's, a 1960 Burgo HW55 M and a 1980 HW55 CM

I am really tempted to go with the CM as they seem to come up for sale a lot less, but the classic lines of the Burgo M are also tempting lol Torn between the 2 and do not want to have it just to have it and not let someone else enjoy it.

I think it it going to be the Weihrauch marked CM over the Burgo, but either way it will be very interesting to see how the Weihrauch and Walther compare to each other over 10m.

Oh, for anyone who is currently on the lookout for some nice classic kit, Terry Robb had some wonderful Original 75's in the shop, Right and Left handed!