Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lead ban public consultation process

Lead ban public consultation process

The lead ban public consultation starts this Friday May 6th,

EVERY member of this forum needs to reply if you want/expect to keep the lead pellets you currently shoot.

BASC link
    https://basc.org.uk/lead-ammunition-...-launch-6-may/

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Might be worth cross posting into Rimfire/Centerfire, Reloading & BP/Muzzleloaders as we all shoot lead.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

Edtwozeronine is offline I say dear boy, would you mind awfully doing as you're told?

Having read all that information I'm at a loss as to who I am meant to contact about the issue, how do I give my 2 cents or ten peneth on the subject?

I would forward the following to whomever I'm meant to contact:

My current position is that I don't shoot over any water courses, merely plink in my back garden and in a county hall where a club is run as a nonprofit open to people in the local area for a small fee per session and if you join the club on a yearly basis (for a fee) your session fee is reduced for that year.

As members we have to set up the stage with protective measures and targets before we start and put everything away afterwards. We also have to sweep up the pellets and any other detritus created at the end of the session so that we don't get a bad name from the other users of the hall, which include the women's institute, mothers and toddlers group, various keep fit classes and of course the committee that runs the hall.
    ***Proud Member of Castleton Air Rifle Club***

xbow is offline "Right a bit, left a bit............"
    Quote Originally Posted by Edtwozeronine View Post
    Having read all that information I'm at a loss as to who I am meant to contact about the issue, how do I give my 2 cents or ten peneth on the subject?
    Agreed.
    We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.
    Rudeness is the weak mans imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer.

If I don’t reply to your comments it’s probably because you’re on my Ignore list.

Once it opens tomorrow you will no doubt be able to google for the consultation and information as to who/where to contact.

the link is just for info to save me typing it all out

If BASC send me a link to it I'll add it to the thread.

Cheers Happy Grizzly.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Antoni is offline There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
    ....which include the women's institute, mothers and toddlers group, various keep fit classes...
    "Do you think that's wise sir?"

Toddlers plus the possibility of lead?

In practice, no doubt all is as safe as you say, but consider how your point could it be twisted.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

I would forward the following to whomever I'm meant to contact:

My current position is that I don't shoot over any water courses, merely plink in my back garden and in a county hall where a club is run as a nonprofit open to people in the local area for a small fee per session and if you join the club on a yearly basis (for a fee) your session fee is reduced for that year.

As members we have to set up the stage with protective measures and targets before we start and put everything away afterwards. We also have to sweep up the pellets and any other detritus created at the end of the session so that we don't get a bad name from the other users of the hall, which include the women's institute, mothers and toddlers group, various keep fit classes and of course the committee that runs the hall.
    With the greatest of respect,
    nothing written above mentions how the removal of lead would have a detrimental effect on you, & can be simply countered/dismissed by saying "so change to lead free pellets & carry on"

The type of point made needs to be that rifles are designed to shoot lead, being a soft metal it does not damage the bore as harder pb free will over time, there are no practical alternatives, non lead pellets are not accurate/too light/too hard/cost a fortune etc etc

Lead being simple & soft is easily melted to recycle/repurpose, there is no evidence of any risk eating meat harvested with a single larger projectile which can be easily located & removed, and so on.

B.A.S.C. member

Just done it, a bit of a pain. I had to leave a lot of the boxes blank, I hadn't a clue about what they were asking for. But I did get the airgun related bits mostly done.

As a matter of interest, has anybody done any actual scientific research aimed at the rate a small quantity of metallic lead, ie. an airgun or shot gun pellet on dry land, migrates into the food chain? I know ducks & geese & stuff who eat gravel with shot in it are at risk, but there's always been a bit of lead around, going back to before the Romans. I'm pretty sure there isn't any risk at all.
    Any research on this at all?

That is a awful survey.

I think you are meant to be commenting on the documents at the bottom of this page:

https://consultations.hse.gov.uk/crd...proposals-004/

They have underestimated the lost of lead-free pellets by about 20% and compared them against high quality match pellets (which they are not). I think they might have done the same with .22LR.

BB

Why have the airgun manufactures and importers sat back and done sod all.
    .22 Venom Mach 1 (FAC) 6-25x56 Millett.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Thumbhole 6.5-20x40 Leupold EFR.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Sporter 4-12x40 Leupold.
    .177 Venom Vantage 4-16x50.
    .177 Venom Daystate 8-32x56 AGS.
    .22 Venom Datstate 4-16x56 AGS.
    .22 Webley Venom FX2000 6-18x40 Busnel Legend.
    .177 Titan MPT by Steve Pope 6-24x40 Tasco.
    .177 Pro-Sport 4-16x50.
    .22 Webley FX2000 3-9x33 Leupold EFR.
    .177 Logan Solo 4-16x50.
    .22 HW90 (spring powered) 4-16x50
    .22 Gamo Stutzen.
    .177 Walther lever action.

There are lots of area's where comments relating to airgun shooting can be made, (as well as for those of us who shoot other types)

Under both hunting & sporting they ask for comments under "other projectiles" which is where I have highlighted airgun use & the issues with PB free pellets like,
    too hard to form a seal in the bore, inaccurate, too light, cost twice as much, no expansion on impact, increased ricochet risk, etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by venoman View Post
    Why have the airgun manufactures and importers sat back and done sod all.
    What exactly do you want/expect them to do ???

I'm sure they will be submitting their own detailed data, now that the consultation has been published.

Consultation

Completed it and must say, "what a bl@@dy chew that was".
    Always on the look out for Brum / Venom - Webley Longbow / Tommie rifles and parts.