Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FX Impact

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    No. They weren't. But FX rushed them out the door and didn't iron out the wrinkles and got the end user feedback they deserved. Lesson learnt perhaps. But many makers do this. AA had many issues with their kit post new product launch.

Its a balance between the need to do R&D and getting money in asap to pay the costs one has to commit to get it there.
    Aye those are very good points Steyr, especially the bug testing bit for the end user.
    As I said I was lucky but I can imagine paying a thick wedge for a gun that doesn't work as well as it should (or at all) would get right on your nerves in no time at all

I must admit until you made me think about it, paying a fortune to have the honour of fault finding a brand new product is an aspect I never actually considered before - and it would be a very firm no thank you from me

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    The Mk1 was pushed out to market presumably to start recouping R&D and set up costs.

Unfortunately, this proved to be a mistake as the rifles had many issues and FX took a lot of flack. Blackpool air rifles even stopped selling them and that says something.

Eventually, they ironed out a lot of the Mk1 Issues. The Mk2 was a game changer imho though.

Reliability seems to have improved very significantly and now distribution and customer support is via The Sportsman chain which I believe is a bigger organisation than the original supplier.

Most seem to consider the Mk2 to be the minimum requirement and now further editions and improvements are coming out as well.

If you want an accurate compact sorted rifle then the Impact Mk2 or the newer models would be an excellent choice. Some don't like the looks or the tactical design but to be frank, you are not buying a MK2 because it looks pretty. As it goes, the functionality is what I think the Mk2 is about as well as doing its job to a very high standard.
    Unfortunately, this
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott. View Post
    I bought whats now called a Mk1 impact and its been faultless, from what Ive read on the FB groups the problems seem to be when folks start trying to self tune them.
    was the main problem - I was often in at the importers when they first came out (the company I worked for had their bulk haulage contract) & the number that were back for 'warranty' repairs due to people cocking them up trying to 'home tune' them far outweighed those that had a genuine fault.

ive just bought one great guns

Hope to try one out at the weekend.

what pellets are people using in them in 22

Quote Originally Posted by SuffolkRifle View Post
    Unfortunately, this

was the main problem - I was often in at the importers when they first came out (the company I worked for had their bulk haulage contract) & the number that were back for 'warranty' repairs due to people cocking them up trying to 'home tune' them far outweighed those that had a genuine fault.
    Maybe but I am inclined to disagree in the most part.

Almost all manufacturers have had this bugged product issue where the need to offset R&D and production means have gone out without the relevant QC being done and bugs come to light in the hands of users who have to put up with the bug sorting process.

It happens time and time again - and especially so historically.

I do not deny that there are those with inquisitive minds and dangerous fingers, but that is not the whole story.
    Last edited by Steyr; 11-06-2021 at 12:45 PM.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Hi I picked up a impact yesterday, got it off a club member. It's a mk1 smooth twist that's what it says,never been apart or leaked. I want to put some normal mounts on it,what will I need and from who thanks. Atb mick ps also a well padded slip, that just the right size.
    Last edited by mdunn; 29-08-2021 at 02:46 PM.

I had the full length and the impact compact bother mk2 great guns but boringly accurate I had no bother with either guns

Quote Originally Posted by mdunn View Post
    Hi I picked up a impact yesterday, got it off a club member. It's a mk1 smooth twist that's what it says,never been apart or leaked. I want to put some normal mounts on it,what will I need and from who thanks. Atb mick
    Depends what the receiver has been made with. Initial advice is to ask former owner.

It will either be dovetail but as its an FX I expect it will be a picatinny rail.

If its dovetail, then there are 2 sizes so double check.

You need to factor in the diameter of the scopes front lens. The bigger this diameter the taller the mount needs to be i.e. sufficiently high to allow clearance.

Super dia scopes with huge mags are not necessarily your friend..

You also have a choice of going Quick Release allowing you to swap scopes potentially without affecting the rifles POI.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Thanks steyr, it's a picatinny rail just want to put normal mounts on as I've loads.Im also wanting a nice fitting slip, that's well padded. Atb mick