Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sfs tuned imp mk2

Hope my previous post is not misunderstood. I should make it fairer.

I have met Tony Walls, boss and staff on numerous occasions. Very friendly, and approachable. Customer service of old and a very pleasant shop to visit. They were very talkative and helpful. I give them full credit. No doubt they are professionals in their own right with learnt craft.

Likewise, Si Pittaway - I have never met him and no doubt he is very nice, knowledgeable and a marksman also. However, my point is merely that he leads viewers to believe it is the gun that does all the work, and all can be achieved by a sfs tuned gun (whichever model). Of course, we are only watching his 'personal remarks' on his one brand choice of tuner. It is not an independent review of many different kind of tunes He is a very a humble man to assign all credit to the tuned gun in his hand.

I can only speak from personal experience. I bought a Jacksnipe as it was the ONLY way of getting hold of a hw99 in .20cal. 5 local RFD's were not able to source one even as a special order as Hull Cartridge will only entertain an order of 10 or more unit batch. My love of the 20cal overwhelmed my wallet. The only place I can get hold of a 20cal99 is via SFS - who incidentally special orders them in batches of 10. They have pretty much cornered the market of the .20 and .25 cal 99's a no other dealers is prepared to order them in 10's.

I ended up paying over the odds for one - £100 more than a .22. When you get to exclusive territory, what's another £100? It is now a £400 gun. A little persuasion YT watching nudged me down that road.

The Jacksnipe option includes polishing and finishing to a professional standard but they do not replace any parts. Therefore there is a limit how shiny an egg can be polished. It's nicely set up but there is a limit as to what OEM parts can perform. The most noticeable being a trigger that is so light, I live in fear. It may be my personal preference for a meatier set up.

If you like their set up, great but you will pay handsomely. Knowing what I know, start off with self polishing and upgrade to some kit. Enjoy the learning along the way and maybe you will reach a happy level without the need to spend much. The ultimate of course is to pay a professional, and there are many to choose from.

At the very least, I got a gold 'Jacksnipe' engraving on it that looks and cost the most. SFS has confirmed they only made 20 Jacksnipe as they only ordered 2 batches of 10. I now have 2 of them as I bought my mates also.

Quote Originally Posted by alexall View Post
    Hope my previous post is not misunderstood. I should make it fairer.

I have met Tony Walls, boss and staff on numerous occasions. Very friendly, and approachable. Customer service of old and a very pleasant shop to visit. They were very talkative and helpful. I give them full credit. No doubt they are professionals in their own right with learnt craft.

Likewise, Si Pittaway - I have never met him and no doubt he is very nice, knowledgeable and a marksman also. However, my point is merely that he leads viewers to believe it is the gun that does all the work, and all can be achieved by a sfs tuned gun (whichever model). Of course, we are only watching his 'personal remarks' on his one brand choice of tuner. It is not an independent review of many different kind of tunes He is a very a humble man to assign all credit to the tuned gun in his hand.

I can only speak from personal experience. I bought a Jacksnipe as it was the ONLY way of getting hold of a hw99 in .20cal. 5 local RFD's were not able to source one even as a special order as Hull Cartridge will only entertain an order of 10 or more unit batch. My love of the 20cal overwhelmed my wallet. The only place I can get hold of a 20cal99 is via SFS - who incidentally special orders them in batches of 10. They have pretty much cornered the market of the .20 and .25 cal 99's a no other dealers is prepared to order them in 10's.

I ended up paying over the odds for one - £100 more than a .22. When you get to exclusive territory, what's another £100? It is now a £400 gun. A little persuasion YT watching nudged me down that road.

The Jacksnipe option includes polishing and finishing to a professional standard but they do not replace any parts. Therefore there is a limit how shiny an egg can be polished. It's nicely set up but there is a limit as to what OEM parts can perform. The most noticeable being a trigger that is so light, I live in fear. It may be my personal preference for a meatier set up.

If you like their set up, great but you will pay handsomely. Knowing what I know, start off with self polishing and upgrade to some kit. Enjoy the learning along the way and maybe you will reach a happy level without the need to spend much. The ultimate of course is to pay a professional, and there are many to choose from.

At the very least, I got a gold 'Jacksnipe' engraving on it that looks and cost the most. SFS has confirmed they only made 20 Jacksnipe as they only ordered 2 batches of 10. I now have 2 of them as I bought my mates also.
    I think that's very fair and anyone who buys a gun based on what Pittaway says needs their head looking at. I've shot many SFS rifles and IMHO they are good....just that...good. I think a well set up TX200 will wipe the floor with one all day long but that's just my opinion.

There's been quite a few threads on here in the past about Youtube super shooters....trust me, it's utter BS, when challenged to an independent test they run away.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    I think that's very fair and anyone who buys a gun based on what Pittaway says needs their head looking at. I've shot many SFS rifles and IMHO they are good....just that...good. I think a well set up TX200 will wipe the floor with one all day long but that's just my opinion.

There's been quite a few threads on here in the past about Youtube super shooters....trust me, it's utter BS, when challenged to an independent test they run away.
    Yes. The videos are edited to make things look way better than they are in real life. Got to keep the sponsors happy.

SFS - nothing but good service from them. The only rifle I had from them I couldnt get on with was a .177 95 but I've since found out this is a common experience and nothing to do with SFS. If I was to get another I'd tune it myself or tell the tuner to go for 10.5ft lbs and no more.

I've had other SFS rifles and all shoot lovely. I've also tuned my own guns too and while I think I've done a good job, the SFS ones feel a little more refined. Possibly the trigger (which I don't touch) and a dash of experience too.

My .25 80 shoots like a match rifle and is ludicrously easy to cock while my .20 97 is the closest I'll get to a pcp I think. As long as you accept the wait and the price then you are unlikely to be disappointed. I first used them to save a .22 95 I had. Smoking, boinging and missing all over. It came back to me like a totally different gun.

I have a Walther LGU, one of the first that came to the UK. A couple of years ago I had it tuned by SFS. Tony did a great job on it, I was really pleased with the result. The price was less than I expected, I collected it about a week after I had sent it. I think I was lucky that they had the time to fit it in. At 30yards off the bench with my hand between it and a support I can ring a 6mm bell target 8 times out of 10 and I am getting on and not a particularly good shot.
    So I am happy with how SFS set up my gun.

I have an Imp Mk2, it’s a very nice gun, shoots very well, I’ve had it over a years now it’s it’s a pleasure to use, SFS where great to deal with, yes they are more than a a standard 99 but your paying for a tune, HW mod and screw cut gun in a congratulation you can’t just buy off the shelf.
    Mine is dramatically nicer than my original 99 that had thousands of pellets through it, no doubt you can spent the time buy a standard gun, tune it new spring drop in kit have the barrel sorted and get it close but for me at the time it felt like a faf and your still left with the nasty odd holes from the sights and a potentially crap crown.
    I was told some of the older guns where done by a guy that doesn’t work there any more.