Thread: Help wanted with CP88 stripdown for seal replacement, please?

Help wanted with CP88 stripdown for seal replacement, please?

Hi! Sadly, my My CP88 which has only had about 200 pellets through it (I was overtaken by serious illness) sat too long with a CO2 capsule in place (naughty!). Now it will not hold pressure at all - cartridges just immediately vent. I've already tried the dodges of putting oil on the seal, warming it etc but no joy. I've been quoted £70+ for a local gunshop to do this, which makes it uneconomic (as this is probably about 50%-75% of its second-hand value)

I've bought some of the new (red/orange) seals from Chambers and have seen the exploded diagram (!) and also found some helpful info and pictures from this site of a partial stripdown for lubrication etc, but can't find anything that goes as far as I need for replacing the seal. Has anyone done this and have any pictures/ advice (I know - don't do it!) please? (BTW is £70+ the going rate for this repair, parts supplied, or is that the going rate?)

Thanks for reading, and in advance for any help. Cheers!
    S200 .177 with 10-shot conversion and Simmons 44 Mag 3.8-12x44mm Diamond WA, S510 .177 with Hawke Vantage IR 3-9x40mm (& PARD NV007A), TX200HC .22 with Nikko Sterling Panamax 3-9x40 AO IR, Weihrauch HW45 .177 with Dowling & Rowe red dot, Walther CP88 .177

Where is the gas venting from?
    Around during the caplet hence co2 bulb seal or out of the barrel hence valve seal failure.
    You tube is helpful here.
    Difficulty is finding the co2 version and not the real thing.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

I think theirs the odd video on YouTube, but be warned they are tricky for the novice bits flying all over the place springs to mind

Dave.

It's the CO2 cartridge seal

Replying to Neil54 - thanks for your reply. It's venting from the CO2 cartridge seal, immediately the bottom lever is moved to seat/ pierce the cartridge it vents all of its contents.
    S200 .177 with 10-shot conversion and Simmons 44 Mag 3.8-12x44mm Diamond WA, S510 .177 with Hawke Vantage IR 3-9x40mm (& PARD NV007A), TX200HC .22 with Nikko Sterling Panamax 3-9x40 AO IR, Weihrauch HW45 .177 with Dowling & Rowe red dot, Walther CP88 .177

I've just stripped and rebuilt a CP88 for a friend. First time I'd ever attempted this and I found a really good thread on the umarexboysclub forum that walks you through the bits where it might go boing and jettison a ball bearing. Have a good read through and take it slowly. I had a pair of circling pliers that fitted the slots on the brass retainer for the capsule seal to loosen it off. If you google "umarex cp88 lubrication" i should come up.
    Be good. And if you can't be good, be good at being bad.

Putting it all back together I built everything up in the right hand side of the frame. The trickiest bits were getting the trigger blade spring back in place, and then slotting the safety bolt into place. A piece of thin wiper blade steel helped in both places, to wrangle the trigger bladespring back into place under tension and then to depress the valve so the safety could slide into place. Also useful to jiggle the safety clip thing (sorry cant remember proper name for it) into place on the safety before the frame was closed up.
    Be good. And if you can't be good, be good at being bad.

Putting the pistol in a plastic bag whilst taking apart catches the ball bearings and springs.

Check the lever with the brass screw that touches the caplet, make sure this isn't bent.
    Adjust the screw firmly against the caplet but don't use any tool to over tighten. This usually bends the lever.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Quote Originally Posted by Dav1dM View Post
    Hi! Sadly, my My CP88 which has only had about 200 pellets through it (I was overtaken by serious illness) sat too long with a CO2 capsule in place (naughty!). Now it will not hold pressure at all - cartridges just immediately vent. I've already tried the dodges of putting oil on the seal, warming it etc but no joy. I've been quoted £70+ for a local gunshop to do this, which makes it uneconomic (as this is probably about 50%-75% of its second-hand value)

I've bought some of the new (red/orange) seals from Chambers and have seen the exploded diagram (!) and also found some helpful info and pictures from this site of a partial stripdown for lubrication etc, but can't find anything that goes as far as I need for replacing the seal. Has anyone done this and have any pictures/ advice (I know - don't do it!) please? (BTW is £70+ the going rate for this repair, parts supplied, or is that the going rate?)

Thanks for reading, and in advance for any help. Cheers!
    guess you've seen this with the strip /lube link ?
    Looks like Baz in christchurch is up to speed with these .

Thanks to all for your help and advice - much appreciated. I managed to get a better price for the repair, so (having seen how fiddly the work looks!) I chickened out and am leaving it to a professional!