Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a ‘best’ age/model HW99 to get?

Is there a ‘best’ age/model HW99 to get?

Hi,

I think I need one, just can’t find much info on any changes over the years to this model, so wondering; does it matter what revision/age 99 I buy? Are there actually even any changes at all??

And, personal preference aside, does either calibre suit it better than another?

Thanks

My 2003 model had the Galling issue .

I believe some new ones still have the Galling issue.

There has been a number of stock changes.

My 2003 had the plain stock with no chequering .

I’m pretty much resigned to the fact that, regardless of age, unless the previous owner has tweaked it that I will need to fix the galling issue 👍🏼
    Doesn’t seem too arduous a task, and will probably take it all apart anyway just to make sure it’s all happy inside, so no major problem to polish/deburr if it needs it.
    Interesting point about the stock changes, as not sure I’ve seen a ‘smooth’ one before!
    Stocks aside, then, I take it they are mechanically unchanged through the years?

I think the only design change has been when Weihrauch put the sprung loaded nylon insert into the cocking arm to remedy the galling issue, maybe about 4-5 years ago? Sadly, it wasn't that good a remedy and if anything caused the arm to jam in the channel it runs inside of on the cylinder body.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    I think the only design change has been when Weihrauch put the sprung loaded nylon insert into the cocking arm to remedy the galling issue, maybe about 4-5 years ago? Sadly, it wasn't that good a remedy and if anything caused the arm to jam in the channel it runs inside of on the cylinder body.
    That sounds like an accountant’s fix! 🤣
    Great info, thanks. Will get a wanted ad up later. Any variance in handling / cycling of the two (main) calibres? For some reason, in my head this needs to be a .22 🤔

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by MeHadger View Post
    That sounds like an accountant’s fix! 🤣
    Great info, thanks. Will get a wanted ad up later. Any variance in handling / cycling of the two (main) calibres? For some reason, in my head this needs to be a .22 🤔
    Correct-a-mundo...

.22 is nice even when skirting 12
    .177 is best under 10.5

If you're pulling it apart, a Titan #10 gives full power and is easier to cock.
    Needs new guides though.
    I also run a Vortek Vac seal and it seems more consistent than either the std HW one or the Aussie green.

Mine runs very well at 11.6. 22 cal. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Mine runs very well at 11.6. 22 cal. Mach 1.5
    That’s great to know, thanks. Any chance of a list of your mods/work you’ve done to get it there?

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Correct-a-mundo...

.22 is nice even when skirting 12
    .177 is best under 10.5

If you're pulling it apart, a Titan #10 gives full power and is easier to cock.
    Needs new guides though.
    I also run a Vortek Vac seal and it seems more consistent than either the std HW one or the Aussie green.
    I knew my instincts would get something right at some point in life!

Cheers for the tuning tips, sounds like a cheap and fairly simple route to consistency 👍🏼 Tbt don’t do kits for these, do they?

I’m sure TBT do one, will do mine eventually but it’s pretty good from standard.

Better in .22
    BSA Meteor .22 - the mans calibre

The best is probably a new one - at least it won't have galled itself to death already and you can apply the fix before it does.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    A galling fix vid for those who may need it

https://youtu.be/mMkz04uafM8

Quote Originally Posted by MeHadger View Post
    I’m pretty much resigned to the fact that, regardless of age, unless the previous owner has tweaked it that I will need to fix the galling issue 👍🏼
    Doesn’t seem too arduous a task, and will probably take it all apart anyway just to make sure it’s all happy inside, so no major problem to polish/deburr if it needs it.
    Interesting point about the stock changes, as not sure I’ve seen a ‘smooth’ one before!
    Stocks aside, then, I take it they are mechanically unchanged through the years?
    Mine also has the plain stock, according to the Weihrauch website it was built in 2006

99s

Mine 99 is a V Mach v-glide conversion. The spring, guide and piston seal are still available from Lyn Lewington - A R C Tuning. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Mine 99 is a V Mach v-glide conversion. The spring, guide and piston seal are still available from Lyn Lewington - A R C Tuning. Mach 1.5
    I had an early model in .22 fitted with the same conversion,but in the .177 was to snappy fitted into a friends but he seemed happy with it.
    HW 97k s/s laminated stock.Hw 98k cs500 stock,CZ 457 varmint.Tika T3x Super Varmint 223 rem. an HW95k having sneaked back in Browning 725 12g sporter, pair of 525 sporters,SX3 Red Performance