Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there a ‘best’ age/model HW99 to get?

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    A galling fix vid for those who may need it

https://youtu.be/mMkz04uafM8
    Was actually this video that prompted me to start the thread 🤣
    I’d bookmarked it to use when I eventually got round to buying one and it actually reminded me that I should probably own one. So thanks! 👍🏼

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Mine 99 is a V Mach v-glide conversion. The spring, guide and piston seal are still available from Lyn Lewington - A R C Tuning. Mach 1.5
    Quote Originally Posted by davymole View Post
    I had an early model in .22 fitted with the same conversion,but in the .177 was to snappy fitted into a friends but he seemed happy with it.
    Ah, I shall go and have a look and see if I can track this place/person down. Thanks for the pointer 👍🏼

Hope this helps. I recently returned to airguns and bought a new 99s in .177. Fitted a TB tuning kit and sorted the galling thing before firing a single shot. Must say it's the best break barrel rifle I've ever owned. You won't be disappointed, even in the smaller calibre.
    Couple of things-
    1. LOP and reach to trigger are utterly ridiculous. Fixed by trimming the stock to the length of a friends Mk2 HW80 and fitting a Rowan engineering set back straight trigger blade.
    2. Needs an adjustable but pad. Fixed with a Bisley adjustable job but I used the HW rubber pad. In total I removed 22mm of wood (obviously the adjustable pad is thicker than OEM pad) from the blunt end of the stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Seth View Post
    1. LOP and reach to trigger are utterly ridiculous. Fixed by trimming the stock to the length of a friends Mk2 HW80 and fitting a Rowan engineering set back straight trigger blade.
    2. Needs an adjustable but pad. Fixed with a Bisley adjustable job but I used the HW rubber pad. In total I removed 22mm of wood (obviously the adjustable pad is thicker than OEM pad) from the blunt end of the stock.
    Ooh, this is new info! Now can’t stop looking at the ‘droopy’ bit of the newer stock behind the cheek piece to the pad, similar to the newer 97 stocks. Hmm, will try and get into my local later to have a feel of one, thanks 👍🏼

Yep, personally, if I could afford, I'd go new. The 99 is one of my favourite rifles and its manners are far, far better than its full power / light weight prescription would suggest. Tinny's video is excellent!. Calibre down to the individual - I have them in .177 and .22 and love them both. A little bit of therapeutic fettling and this lovely rifle's perfick.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Yep, personally, if I could afford, I'd go new. The 99 is one of my favourite rifles and its manners are far, far better than its full power / light weight prescription would suggest. Tinny's video is excellent!. Calibre down to the individual - I have them in .177 and .22 and love them both. A little bit of therapeutic fettling and this lovely rifle's perfick.
    Hadn’t considered new until just looking and seeing they are actually priced lower than a bloomin Lightning?! New or new-ish could be an option.

Id buy one from around 1994-5
    VAYA CON DIOS

Ah, before it was even a twinkle in its creator's eye, then?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by gsxrman View Post
    Id buy one from around 1994-5
    🤔 is this a ‘get an HW80 instead’ reference?

Quote Originally Posted by STR8SHOOT3R View Post
    The best is probably a new one - at least it won't have galled itself to death already and you can apply the fix before it does.
    Are they still making them though as my local rfd Sportsman gun Centre do not list them now.
    a gun is just a tool how its used is dependant on the person behind the trigger .
    This is why constant restrictions on legal users will have no effect on the unlawfull use of guns or knives !

I haven't seen anything anywhere suggesting that HW would cease production. The rifle appears to be widely available. Maybe it's just that SGC are temporarily out of stock as they import directly?

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye View Post
    Are they still making them though as my local rfd Sportsman gun Centre do not list them now.
    Check for the HW50s, the same gun but ever so slightly better

Thank you guys. 👍
    a gun is just a tool how its used is dependant on the person behind the trigger .
    This is why constant restrictions on legal users will have no effect on the unlawfull use of guns or knives !

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Check for the HW50s, the same gun but ever so slightly better
    Oops, yes, forgot about that.. If Sportsman do have them, they will be the HW50S rather than the 99S. Same rifle. The UK get the 99S, whereas the rest of the World gets the 50S. Can't remember the exact reasoning for the two different names but trying to disassociate the new rifle from the old 50S (cute, brilliant, packed with finesse but lower powered) I think has been cited before as one of the reasons?

Quote Originally Posted by MeHadger View Post
    🤔 is this a ‘get an HW80 instead’ reference?
    Got it in one, superior in every way.
    50/99 feels like a toy, sorry.
    Springer break barrel, HW80K..... all the way!
    VAYA CON DIOS