Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there a ‘best’ age/model HW99 to get?

Ah, Mr gsxrman, I get what you say. I really do. The 80 is such an icon. Big, bold and muscular with that bombproof image and tough demeanour. I have three myself......two "standard Venom tuned" standard rifles and a 25mm Lazaglided Bullpup. All lovely and all keepers.

But, although lighter, I don't feel the 99 gives anything away in solid build terms. It's a tough little thing and can be interpreted as pretty much a "utilitarian, lightweight tool" or as a customised beauty once fettled and embellished. The firing cycle is a revelation, even as standard. You're expecting this fuller powered, lightweight rifle to be more than a little lively on discharge whereas quite the opposite is true. I exaggerate not when I state that, to me, my first shot with my 99 was akin to my first with a 77. Many people can shoot a 99 more accurately than they can an 80 and it's certainly a better proposition for handling in many hunting scenarios.

Its only black mark is the potential for "galling". But not all of them do it. And for those that do, it's an easy fix. I have recommended them to a fair few new shooters over the last few years and they're all over the moon with them. Without exception. And I'll continue to recommend this pocket sized, sweet shooting little classic of our times.

A HW99 in .177 or .22 and a pocket full of Field Target Trophy = pure, clean simple fun.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Ah, Mr gsxrman, I get what you say. I really do. The 80 is such an icon. Big, bold and muscular with that bombproof image and tough demeanour. I have three myself......two "standard Venom tuned" standard rifles and a 25mm Lazaglided Bullpup. All lovely and all keepers.

But, although lighter, I don't feel the 99 gives anything away in solid build terms. It's a tough little thing and can be interpreted as pretty much a "utilitarian, lightweight tool" or as a customised beauty once fettled and embellished. The firing cycle is a revelation, even as standard. You're expecting this fuller powered, lightweight rifle to be more than a little lively on discharge whereas quite the opposite is true. I exaggerate not when I state that, to me, my first shot with my 99 was akin to my first with a 77. Many people can shoot a 99 more accurately than they can an 80 and it's certainly a better proposition for handling in many hunting scenarios.

Its only black mark is the potential for "galling". But not all of them do it. And for those that do, it's an easy fix. I have recommended them to a fair few new shooters over the last few years and they're all over the moon with them. Without exception. And I'll continue to recommend this pocket sized, sweet shooting little classic of our times.

A HW99 in .177 or .22 and a pocket full of Field Target Trophy = pure, clean simple fun.
    Tony you are a gent, respect as always.
    VAYA CON DIOS

Well, I just want one even more now!
    Fabulous summary, and much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by gsxrman View Post
    Got it in one, superior in every way.
    50/99 feels like a toy, sorry.
    Springer break barrel, HW80K..... all the way!
    It’s the lightweight, Chuck-about-ability of the 99 that appeals, tbh. I have some heavy ass springers, and some crazy light PCPs, and the 99 has always just appealed.

I could well end up being wrong, which is fair enough, and probably why I usually lean towards preloved rifles on a whim over new, as I can always move it on afterwards if it doesn’t float my boat for little loss.

I use mine in .177 for HFT and do better with it than I did with my 77....

Quote Originally Posted by gsxrman View Post
    Tony you are a gent, respect as always.
    I knew you'd geddit.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by MeHadger View Post
    It’s the lightweight, Chuck-about-ability of the 99 that appeals, tbh. I have some heavy ass springers, and some crazy light PCPs, and the 99 has always just appealed.

I could well end up being wrong, which is fair enough, and probably why I usually lean towards preloved rifles on a whim over new, as I can always move it on afterwards if it doesn’t float my boat for little loss.
    You're going to love it and your reasonings for buying pre-loved are sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    I use mine in .177 for HFT and do better with it than I did with my 77....
    No surprise there; nice one.

You're going to love it and your reasonings for buying pre-loved are sound.
    As is always the case, I’ve seen these for sale almost daily for months until I decide I want one 🙄
    I also feel less cringey about cracking open something that’s already been un-shinied and is out of warranty!

Fully understand the reluctance re stripping a new gun that's under warranty.

Try a wanted ad in the wanted section. Keep an eye on the sales section. It might also be worth ringing around shops that are within easy striking distance and asking them to let you know of any incoming part exchanges so you might grab one before it goes on general display. Occasionally in the past I have managed to buy "display" or "demonstrator" rifles that seem unused / barely used and unmarked at a decent saving from new. It might be worth asking for those, too.

Fully understand the reluctance re stripping a new gun that's under warranty.

Try a wanted ad in the wanted section. Keep an eye on the sales section. It might also be worth ringing around shops that are within easy striking distance and asking them to let you know of any incoming part exchanges so you might grab one before it goes on general display. Occasionally in the past I have managed to buy "display" or "demonstrator" rifles that seem unused / barely used and unmarked at a decent saving from new. It might be worth asking for those, too.
    I’ve had a wanted ad up for a few days, and shall keep giving it a nudge to make sure it’s current 👍🏼
    Good shout on trawling the shops, I’m in the office today so shall call in to see my local on my way home. Top tip!

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Check for the HW50s, the same gun but ever so slightly better
    Having checked sportsman in Exeter, they seem to have the HW50 (2) at a decent ish price, but the trigger doesn't look very rekord-y? 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by MeHadger View Post
    Having checked sportsman in Exeter, they seem to have the HW50 (2) at a decent ish price, but the trigger doesn't look very rekord-y? 🤔
    The mkii uses a 'Perfekt' trigger, which is a pale, non-adjustable imitation. I wouldn't be tempted, as I've owned HW30's with these triggers and I wasn't impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    The mkii uses a 'Perfekt' trigger, which is a pale, non-adjustable imitation. I wouldn't be tempted, as I've owned HW30's with these triggers and I wasn't impressed.
    Yeah, it instantly made me think of a late Meteor plastic unit so felt a bit sceptical!
    Thanks for the confirmation 👍🏽

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    Yes the HW50 mk2 isn't the same as the HW50s