Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howto setup a scope for a non shooter? PS+ wearing glasses.

Howto setup a scope for a non shooter? PS+ wearing glasses.

Lost on this one, trying to setup a scope for the wife and trying to explain the correct eye relief but not sure she
    fully understands. Tried holding a phone to the scope and showing her that yes i can see a target and the crosshairs
    but see all that black shadows all around the edge or all to one side thats bad.

She had her head at the very back of the stock and said she could see.

Asked her how many bars on the crosshair and it was not many. I knew there was 8 either side before it turned into a
    larger rectangular box.

I have a feeling if I fit it she will say yes its fine even if fitted backwards.

Any tips? Thanks.

PS. Any shooters who wear glasses? How do you combat them moving when shouldering the gun?

Daughters glasses are quite rectangular and I can see them drop as she gets into the correct position
    which puts the frame into her line of sight.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by FOZZD1 View Post

Daughters glasses are quite rectangular and I can see them drop as she gets into the correct position

Thanks again.
    I wear varifocals and they slip every time i get in position unless i ram them hard against my nose before every shot. in all honesty I've taken to shooting without my glasses as it's become too much of a pain at times. I'm considering getting a second pair next time I'm eye tested with a metal frame that I'm going to bend into such a state that they cant move and to hell with the nose rubbing etc. It's a PITA

Quote Originally Posted by bernie66 View Post
    I wear varifocals and they slip every time i get in position unless i ram them hard against my nose before every shot. in all honesty I've taken to shooting without my glasses as it's become too much of a pain at times. I'm considering getting a second pair next time I'm eye tested with a metal frame that I'm going to bend into such a state that they cant move and to hell with the nose rubbing etc. It's a PITA
    Buy a corded glasses string. And use a slip knot to take up slack.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by FOZZD1 View Post
    Lost on this one, trying to setup a scope for the wife and trying to explain the correct eye relief but not sure she
    fully understands. Tried holding a phone to the scope and showing her that yes i can see a target and the crosshairs
    but see all that black shadows all around the edge or all to one side thats bad.

She had her head at the very back of the stock and said she could see.

Asked her how many bars on the crosshair and it was not many. I knew there was 8 either side before it turned into a
    larger rectangular box.

I have a feeling if I fit it she will say yes its fine even if fitted backwards.

Any tips? Thanks.

PS. Any shooters who wear glasses? How do you combat them moving when shouldering the gun?

Thanks again.
    You may have more than 1 issue here.

First, try a scope that is less fussy iro eye relief.

Secondly, is her eye condition such that she can remove her glasses and use the diopter to adjust to her eye focus. Glasses can make ut very tricky indeed.

Thirdly, is she able to get her head connected to the stock properly or is her head floating up down left and right with no cheek contact.
    If she is having trouble, it tells me the rifle does not match her physique and she is huntin for a position.

I tell my pupils if they see a black donut, they are either too close or too far away.

Break it down. First is to get cheek weld sorted so she isnt bobbing around like a wagtail.

Then .... when her eye alignment is fixed, work on the eye relief.

Patience is key. If she can use the optics without glasses, then that may help a lot by removing a big variable.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

I wear glasses for reading and close up work but dispense with them when I am shooting via a scope. You do end up with quite an amount of adjustment outwards of the reticle focus ring but that's far better than having to cope with face adornments that get in the way.

I wear glasses for distance and have never had any trouble with eye relief when borrowing others rifles and they don't mention issues when using guns I've set up. I've never tried shooting without my glasses as I've quite a strong prescription so it's unusual to take my glasses off for any reason until I'm going to sleep. Have you tried getting her to look through it off the gun so she can work out what it should look like then mounting it loose on the rail and getting her to slide it into the best position for her?

I remove my distance glasses to shoot. I can however, still see fine with my contact lenses in.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Maybe I’m wrong. The OP is talking about two people, each with a different problem, not one person with two problems.

For your wife,
    Firstly you need to make it clear that adjusting the Ocular to focus the reticle is expected & totally normal for all different shooters, she probably doesn't want to "muck it up for other people" some women are just considerate like that.

To explain the focus; if you have a magnifying glass you can show how moving it back & forth brings text in to/out of focus and explain that is exactly what twisting the ocular does, to suit different eyes.
    Drawing it on paper is the easiest way to explain eye relief & centering the picture,

Get her to shoulder the rifle eyes closed and get it comfortable first, Only then open her eye & set up the scope, with the rifle held in the same position.

Also remember she may be frightened the scope will hit her in the face with recoil, she might even have seen it happen on film.

Easiest for your daughter probably a different pair of glasses with smaller frames, just for shooting, combined with a neoprene securing strap.
    Places like glasses warehouse do spare pairs very cheap.

Sorry for the confusion, 2 people here. Setting the scope up for the wife is an issue. She claims to see clearly through it at any distance.
    She can see the fence but when i asked about the bars she could not see them, so obviously the scope is not right.

She is scared to try anything new, she thinks not being able to instantly do something is a failure. If you dont try and fail you don't learn.
    She thinks i plonk a scope on and hit everything.

I said i used to sit in the warehouse every lunchtime sitting with my eyes closed and shouldering the rifle then opening my eyes to make
    sure its right. If its not perfect every time then its not right. Move it a mm or so and try again. That could tale days/weeks.

Teaching her pellet trajectories will be a lot of fun... A lot of that is a black art to me also. I always thought scope closest to the barrel was best
    but so many bullpups with scopes mounted way high seems to buck that???
    No warehouse with lines painted every 5 yards to set all my ranges now. All outside with that stuff I think they call it wind??

Its my daughter with the glasses issue, she was just tinkering with mine due to her scope not arriving when I noticed she was struggling
    to focus and noticed her glasses moving each time. Maybe better with her own gun and in a proper position.

Thanks.

Had a thought, what about those rubber eye pieces?

Would that solve my issue of the wife not using the correct eye relief?

I use varifocals, but recently taken to focusing the scopes for the naked eye. I acquire the target (usually paper, but occasionally a Magpie/Pigeon head shot) using glasses, then look over my glasses for a scoped shot. Works for me.

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Antoni is online now There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!

Astigmatism

I believe simple long or short-sightedness is easily corrected by the basic focussing of the scope bell nearsest to the eye. My contribution would be to say that astigmatism can be a problem if you take your prescription glasses off thereby losing the eye's correction for astigmatism

One way to check for that is to ask to inspect the other party's spectacles. Then look through each lens and rotate the spectacle's frame. If you get a really big wide-screen/tall-screen effect as you rotate - I can't think of a better way to describe it - it might not be easy to use a scope without those glasses correcting the astigmatism before that person even picks up the gun.

And then check which eye is naturally used to eye the scope [maybe that's bleedin' obvious but I'm not an experienced shooter]. I'd always use my left eye. My glasses do not have astigmatism correction for the left eye but quite strong correction on the right.

Edit: I use my right eye with the rifle but always my left eye with the pistols.

Did I mention astigmatism?
    Last edited by Antoni; 09-06-2021 at 08:02 PM.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

I have a slightly similar issue with a lady friend who is deperate to try shooting, wears glasses.

She is quite petite so we started off with the Meteor with a small 4 x 20 scope.
    Not good, too much recoil, she couldn't really see where she was aiming but loads of empty space so pretty safe to try.
    No chance of getting her head down for the open sights on the Mk2 S Airsporter.
    Or even the 40mm scope on the HW90.
    PH Dragon just far too heavy for her to even pick up!
    She really cannot get her head in the right position for any of my sub 40mm scopes.
    Plan B is to try a 50mm on my Innova.
    Plan C is pistol shooting.

I've got eye issues and this thread has some great suggestions that I'm going to try. Thanks folks!
    Member of SACS and Scottish Target Shooting