Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Howto setup a scope for a non shooter? PS+ wearing glasses.

IMHO, this isn’t really about glasses. It’s a bit about stance/position and cheek weld. And mostly mentality/psychology.

Many new shooters fear the gun (even unconsciously), so pull their head back and away from it. And tense up and do lots of other poor stuff.

I saw this when teaching some novices on cartridge pistols. They’d push the gun as far forward as possible, and unconsciously lean back to keep the noisy, bangy, kicky thing as far away from them as possible. Which of course exacerbates the effect of recoil and then reinforces the poor technique when it goes bang.

Recoilless guns help.

Iron sights are more useful than scopes for initial training.

Above all, explain, break down, illustrate, demonstrate, and then (in the nicest possible way) enforce position/stance/hold.

Thanks for all the suggestions and hopefully its may help some others also.

If all else fails its short range at dusk with a laser pointer? And a 6ft steel backplate so they will think its
    a hit everytime?

You’re unlikely to set a scope up for two different people who wear glasses.

If they have the same face dimensions and shooting position then only then will they get the same position. A scope with a big exit pupil will help.

If they have the same prescription or type of correction you will have similar eye relief. But short sighted correction increases eye relief compared to long. This could be why she is way back. I’ve seen people do this before and if they are miles back then they are not seeing the picture as it should be and just seeing ‘a’ picture. If that’s the case remove the scope and put it on something they can look through without the limitations of the stock. You can then move their heads or the scope to roughly where it should be and the image might pop into view. Low mag is best for this.

So the combination of those two factors can have very different head positions.

What it might be is she is focusing on the image which will be focused at a certain range. But by moving the head back and squinting she might be focusing it to another range and losing the reticule.

I suggest going back to basics. Focus the reticule for shooter A first then get them to use the parallax for the range so that target and ret are in focus, then optimise stock fit. Then see if it works with B. But understand it’s entirely possible for two related individuals to not be able to use the same setup especially where correction is concerned.

But be wary of forcing something on someone. I’ve seen this countless times with relationships trying to share their enthusiasm. It can backfire. Sometimes some people don’t get it. We see this when demo’ing on a trade stand and it’s a bell shaped curve with some people really excelling and some people really struggling.

Depending on where you are I don't mind coming over & explaining F2F. If your close to a jcn on the M6/5/42 Between M6 jcn11 - M5 jcn5 & M42 jcn3
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.