Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Testing A 1960s Crosman CO2 Powerlet

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Hi John, the ones at work are same as the one in the link, but 28g and made in Austria, covered in part numbers and a minimum weight to 2 decimal places!.I asked the guys at the top and last time they did a scrap out they had 2 guys popping capsules for over a day and the result was several dustbins full!

We had literally 1000's of aircraft seats at various times, each with a jacket, plus liferafts, you name it.

https://www.aspli.com/2489/united-mo...yABEgIXMvD_BwE

ATB, Ed

ATB, Ed
    Hi Ed,

I can see how lots of people would see this as a waste but when you think of the purpose the cartridges are used for, skimping on CO2 could result in lives lost, so I can see why they are disposed of.

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    A shooting friend of mine had the means of testing the purity of various makes of CO2 capsules where he works and was surprised at the levels of contamination except apparently for those made by Umarex. I must have used capsules from many different manufacturers over the years without any particular problems that could be directly attributable to contaminated gas.

Brian
    Hi Brian,

One quick question - you mentioned contamination and Umarex cartridges being the 'cleanest'. What contaminates were present? Was it just oil or were other particles present? Not sure if your friend would know?

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Brian,

One quick question - you mentioned contamination and Umarex cartridges being the 'cleanest'. What contaminates were present? Was it just oil or were other particles present? Not sure if your friend would know?

Kind regards,

John
    Hi John,
    Unfortunately, the friend I mention is no longer a member of the club I shoot at so I can't be sure of the actual nature of the contaminants he was talking about. He was a big air soft shooter and used lots of CO2 capsules in his skirmishing rifles and pistols. In general, he would only load Umarex capsules with regular use of maintenance capsules as a result of his experiments. I can't say I have experienced anything more than the expected seal failures using various makes of capsule over the years with minimum preventative maintenance. I bought one of the first Umarex CP88 pistols when they appeared many years ago and used a lot of different make capsules before storing it away until just recently. Having made the decision to move it on, I test fired it first and was pleasantly surprised that it still held gas and was as powerful as ever with the original seals still in place.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi John,
    Unfortunately, the friend I mention is no longer a member of the club I shoot at so I can't be sure of the actual nature of the contaminants he was talking about. He was a big air soft shooter and used lots of CO2 capsules in his skirmishing rifles and pistols. In general, he would only load Umarex capsules with regular use of maintenance capsules as a result of his experiments. I can't say I have experienced anything more than the expected seal failures using various makes of capsule over the years with minimum preventative maintenance. I bought one of the first Umarex CP88 pistols when they appeared many years ago and used a lot of different make capsules before storing it away until just recently. Having made the decision to move it on, I test fired it first and was pleasantly surprised that it still held gas and was as powerful as ever with the original seals still in place.

Brian
    Thanks Brian,

I have had similar experiences and also bought a CP88 from this site's sponsor within days of them coming off ticket.

1 drop of Pellgun oil on the neck of every other cartridge is all the maintenance I carry out, although I some will say even that is too much oil. I rarely shoot more than 1 cartridge through a pistol at a time though, so it may be several months or longer between shooting sessions.

John