Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New BSA Pellets

Makers

Quote Originally Posted by ZAKDINGEL View Post
    It strange why ely stopped making the wasp pellet especially since they still make shotgun cartridges

Thats cos they did not actually make them , especially in recent years . Subbed out . Am surprised at hearing they are no more , as these were being made in Turkey for a time .
    Easier decision for any business Manager sat at desk to scrub something off the list of things that are not bringing in the best return .
    Seem to remember seeing many posts here about these and how bad they were when compared to the originals .
    When biz people get wind repeatedly that their stuff an't no good no surprises then they's been dropped .

Who made the original Wasps. ?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by MrGreengrass View Post
    Who made the original Wasps. ?
    https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30026947

Related period
    1945-1989 (association)

Creator
    Imperial Metal Industries Ltd (Kynoch), Witton, Birmingham

Re-branded bsa elites - gamo pro hunter

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Saw the advert in Airgun World yesterday. It would seem that the new premium line of BSA pellets are re-branded H&N pellets. Following less than favourable reviews generally of the existing lines, surely a top move and in-line with many other makers these days, of re-branding known quality pellets.
    I beg to differ if not with you at least with some of said reviews on BSA's "existing lines ".
    Have been using their .22 Elites for some time after buying a pile of tins from a posh gunshop up over the hill in The Cotswolds .
    They were getting low and seen the OP's reference to 'new ' BSA pellets which we can agree are H&N made .
    The Elites are still showing thankfully and the BSA website says they are 15.34 grains which is an error , the Elites have always been 15.43 .
    Anyways not many available anywhere but esp on TheBay selling the good ole large tins , most all have shrunk to only 250 , a very annoying modern trend
    Decided to buy some Gamo Pro Hunter's in .22 instead off a seller who sells on TheBay .
    Examining them up close had a deja vu feeling which I don't get that often at my age Even got a magnifier out , well what can I say at my age
    Same shape skirt and head , same inner recess , and oh of course same weight @ 15.43 grains .
    Nice shiny BSA Elites !
    Back to front , BSA Elites are Gamo Pro Hunters .
    Happy happy Days !
    Last edited by Jimny4x4; 18-06-2021 at 01:23 PM.

.22 magic

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye View Post
    Bought some new to me BSA Elite in. 22 blue tin off our sponsor and tried them today for the first time in a BSA Stutzen open sights very good but only 10 metres will pop a scope on and try longer distances.
    Your won't be disappointed with BSA's or should I say Gamo's Elites . Wonderful pellet no matter whose name is on the outside of the tin .
    Mid weight pellets around the 15 grain mark seem to rock , certainly over my chrono . These specific pellets gave some very satisfying but still safe and legal figures through some my guns including springers . As for accuracy , more than enough . This is the thing with 'reviews' whether online or printed in those poxy magazines .
    The Reviewer usually always has only one gun to test with and of course there is not enough time nor drive to test out the pellets with a handful .
    The review will either conclude in too quick a time that the pellets either work or are rubbish .
    I gave up looking for the larger 500 Elite tins - and nearly a tenner for the small 250 tin posted from that iHunter .
    Ramsbottoms sell the Elite at a good price but only in the small tin and they are out of stock .
    Then as mentioned I discovered the Gamo Pro Hunter link and have stopped looking , have all I need now for years .
    Something very very satisfying opening a big box full of nice shiny pellet tins .
    Last edited by Jimny4x4; 18-06-2021 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimny4x4 View Post
    I beg to differ if not with you at least with some of said reviews on BSA's "existing lines ".
    Have been using their .22 Elites for some time after buying a pile of tins from a posh gunshop up over the hill in The Cotswolds .
    They were getting low and seen the OP's reference to 'new ' BSA pellets which we can agree are H&N made .
    The Elites are still showing thankfully and the BSA website says they are 15.34 grains which is an error , the Elites have always been 15.43 .
    Anyways not many available anywhere but esp on TheBay selling the good ole large tins , most all have shrunk to only 250 , a very annoying modern trend
    Decided to buy some Gamo Pro Hunter's in .22 instead off a seller who sells on TheBay .
    Examining them up close had a deja vu feeling which I don't get that often at my age Even got a magnifier out , well what can I say at my age
    Same shape skirt and head , same inner recess , and oh of course same weight @ 15.43 grains .
    Nice shiny BSA Elites !
    Back to front , BSA Elites are Gamo Pro Hunters .
    Happy happy Days !
    Nicely cleared up, sir..
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

.25 pylarms

Hi, yeah iv just got some new style pylarms in .25, hmmm very dissapointed, as thay are slightly heavier, and although .25 and marked as 6.3 that are on the very tight side, and shoot c##p, totally different shape and style to the old pylarms
    Last edited by steviebee; 19-06-2021 at 02:55 PM.

What gun are you using them in ?

Quote Originally Posted by steviebee View Post
    Hi, yeah iv just got some new style pylarms in .25, hmmm very dissapointed, as thay are slightly heavier, and although .25 and marked as 6.3 that are on the very tight side, and shoot c##p, totally different shape and style to the old pylarms
    Interesting things are pellets and barrels being pellet fussy this can lead to a lot of annoyance .
    I only heard here that the Pylarm had gone bigger , with the negative around this for classic springers , but you say your Pylarms are still tight in the bore ?
    What gun are you using them in ? So maybe for the people who use for example BSA' s its not all doom and gloom

Hi.
    I'm using a Bsa lightning, which is .25 (6.30) it shot a good 10" low and 8" right?? And wouldn't group?
    Then tried them in my hw80 .25 which is 6.35 works a treat.
    Guess the bsa barrel didn't like the extra weight, and tightness in the bore

Interesting

Hi.
    I'm using a Bsa lightning, which is .25 (6.30) it shot a good 10" low and 8" right?? And wouldn't group?
    Then tried them in my hw80 .25 which is 6.35 works a treat.
    Guess the bsa barrel didn't like the extra weight, and tightness in the bore
    Very interesting . Read ( here ) that owners of older classic BSA springers with .25 barrels always needed the smaller head pellet as the barrel was not true 6.35 bore . Rhino and the old Pylarm worked well hence the concern over a newer larger Pylarm If bigger now not sure why a later Lightning would still need smaller . Then again when did BSA start using true 6.35 barrels ? Just goes to show what some people say is really true one , that a pellet that does not work well in one gun may work well in another .

.25 vs 6.35

Was thinking about this more , you may have either an early early Lightning before BSA changed their .25 barrels or a later Lightning that started life as another calibre then had a .25 barrel fitted ( which is because of the tight bore an early .25 BSA barrel ). Milbro Rhino would work ie go straight in without problem as would using a pellet sizer on others .

I've had a few sample packs sent me foc from BSA.
    GOLDSTAR 8.64G
    BLACKSTAR 10.49G
    SILVERSTAR 7.25G and
    GREENSTAR 6.64G

I've been plinking today but haven't given.them a try yet. Might do later this week.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I've got some of those defiants and have to say they don't group very well in my Beeza's

Pete
    The new H&N 'Defiant' are not as good as the originals, there are subtle differences in the design and overall quality appears lower. Sad really & I like most of the H&N offerings and loved the original Defiant range.

Bisley Mags

Any idea if Bisley Mags are still the H&N Barracuda ? Think theye'se was , once .

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra Hunter View Post
    I've had a few sample packs sent me foc from BSA.
    GOLDSTAR 8.64G
    BLACKSTAR 10.49G
    SILVERSTAR 7.25G and
    GREENSTAR 6.64G

I've been plinking today but haven't given.them a try yet. Might do later this week.
    It'll be interesting to hear your findings, sir.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!