Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
Interestingly your stock appears to be one piece I thought three pieces was more usual on that model (as mine is ! )

Oh and welcome to the BBS
Hi and thanks for the welcome mally.
I've read that the stocks were often in three pieces but I noticed that mine was constructed from a single piece or at least to my eyes it's a one-piece stock.

Makes me wonder if it's actually the original stock and even from a MK1 though I can't see that somehow see that.

I can remember after buying the gun, attempting to tart it up by rubbing the stock down and putting on a thin coat of shellac/French polish as the finish was in a very rough old state. At one point I even tried rubbing down the barrel and body cylinder to get rid of some of the corrosion/pitting and attempting to re-blue it but it didn't seem to take properly so I was left with it as it is now.

I think this time around I'll just wire wool the cylinder/barrel and put a fine coating of the likes of 3-in 1 oil on it just to protect it. It's a gun getting on for 60 years old which had a very rough early life and whether or not it still looks rough these days, it still shoots great at up to 50m/60 yards which is all that matters. The patina tells it's own story.

Interestingly, in the early 60s I owned a genuine MK1 Airsporter which was my introduction to Airsporters. It was an early/mid 50s model and it didn't even have the usual rear sight but instead had a Parker Hale '0' ring target sight mounted on top of the curved trigger housing and that gun would shoot accurately and consistently all day long up to 80 yards with the right pellets and if held firmly on a proper rest.
I never really got on with the 'O' sights for everyday plinking but I bought it for a pittance and looking back now, sadly sold it for one. If only I knew then what I knew now.

I don't somehow think this gun would achieve that accuracy figure as I've never fired an air gun more accurate than the MK1 I owned but the accuracy at 60 yards with this one is consistent so I'm quite happy.