Thread: I've just realised the key to making really quiet PCP/CO2 airguns....

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    all very much on the right track (except for the ultra stealthy suggestion )

this month I've mostly been fitting SSGs (stopping spring guides) which do exactly as you say.. by reducing multiple secondary valve strikes, the only air used is that which is required to usefully propell the pellet to the desired velocity. they sound snappier and crisper unmoderated, especially the "fart noise" co2 guns, but with a mod in place it's just a vast improvement.

ive had to use a variety of approaches, in increasing order of difficulty:
    theoben rapid - extending into a void within the front of the hammer so simple
    smk co2 rabit destroyer* - through the rear cap via an existing hole extending into a ready made void in the stock, also damn simple
    ratcatcher - through the hammer a little tricky
    kral - telescopic spring guide (really quite tricky due to very limited space)

the crispness of the firing cyle, and the sound reduction on all of these is really impressive....

Apparently SSGs work really well in harmony the regulators too, but Im a bit luke warm on regs due to reliability issues.. i might stick a huma or lane reg in the kral though. in contrast that's the beaty of SSGs.. there's really very little to go wrong.

oh, and for sure longer barrels help too, but diminishing returns over about 16 inches, although CO2 does like a bit more..

HTH JB

* a much better designed gun than the ratcatcher for less money and you get a metal receiver with dovetails as standard, and a nice fat bolt, a decent diameter barrel, and a proper stock.
    Last edited by Shed tuner; 09-06-2021 at 09:02 PM.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.