Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check out this incredible engraving!

It does make me wonder how many air guns would sell if they were all hand assembled, fitted too the buyer and engraved ?

I don't think that would have stopped me owning one but it would be just the one
    Hw77+7

Quote Originally Posted by HW55T View Post
    It does make me wonder how many air guns would sell if they were all hand assembled, fitted too the buyer and engraved ?

I don't think that would have stopped me owning one but it would be just the one
    Generally I'm not keen on engraving on airguns, except very old ones. But I do like to see skill.

I think engraving animals on airguns is pretty naff, save perhaps squirrels or rats and only then if done really well.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

An interesting pierced top lever on the Purdey .

Sculpted engraving.

Work like that on the above guns represents just about the highest level of skill achievable in steel. It is not moulded but carefully cut out, the background removed with tiny chisels, and then the surface punched and cut and filed to shape to give depth to the forms. To do such work makes it necessary to employ a microscope, and it takes a long long time.
    There are relatively few engravers who can currently do such work which makes such a job eye-wateringly expensive and only justified on a top quality ,top of the range, hand built weapon. Such guns will exist for hundreds of years as examples of the best 20th century work. Is it possible to improve on this standard ??
    Wonderful to see, and marvel at the craftsmanship but sadly only for the very very wealthy collectors, usually in
    the USA ( or Wales ) lol.

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    absolutely stunning, thanks for posting.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

I can and do really appreciate the skill involved.

But I not only don’t get excited by engraving on guns of any kind, I actively dislike it. A gun is a tool. Tools should be functional.

I’d rather have a really good plain hammer than an Armani-designed and branded hammer.

I do like deep bluing, or fine colour case-hardening, or good walnut, but little swirly metal things of rhinos or birds or whatever do more than leave me cold. They seem trivial or fatuous. If someone gave me the chance to have Purdey or H&H make me a gun for free, it would be plain and simple but finished brilliantly, not have little pictures of stuff carved into the metal or wood.

Same with, for example, wristwatches. I can appreciate a nice one. But not something (however well made) two-tone gold/platinum, or with diamonds stuck all over it.

Sorry, minority opinion, but 99% of firearm engraving, even if of high quality, is, to quote Princess Anne, “naff”.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Yeah, I'm in the same boat as Geezer... amazing skill, but I don't really want it on a gun, unless it's an out-and-out collectors piece / wallhanger.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

micky2 is online now The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by cordite50 View Post
    Work like that on the above guns represents just about the highest level of skill achievable in steel. It is not moulded but carefully cut out, the background removed with tiny chisels, and then the surface punched and cut and filed to shape to give depth to the forms. To do such work makes it necessary to employ a microscope, and it takes a long long time.
    There are relatively few engravers who can currently do such work which makes such a job eye-wateringly expensive and only justified on a top quality ,top of the range, hand built weapon. Such guns will exist for hundreds of years as examples of the best 20th century work. Is it possible to improve on this standard ??
    Wonderful to see, and marvel at the craftsmanship but sadly only for the very very wealthy collectors, usually in
    the USA ( or Wales ) lol.
    I totally agree with the above. not to everybody's taste. but the amount of skill to do that is to be admired.
    Thanks for posting the photos Danny.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Absolutely stunning artistry...

But the engineer in me thinks 'that's either seriously weakened or the metal was too thick in the first place`

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Absolutely fantastic skill. The only trouble is, when an adornment gets that good, it tends to overshadow the gun itself and makes it somewhat irrelevant.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Absolutely stunning artistry...

But the engineer in me thinks 'that's either seriously weakened or the metal was too thick in the first place`
    or it was designed with the engraving in mind....
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

. I can and do really appreciate the skill involved.

But I not only don’t get excited by engraving on guns of any kind, I actively dislike it. A gun is a tool. Tools should be functional.
    This is exactly how I feel about it I’m afraid. Plus, sorry, it looks tarty to me. Gold rolls royces and crocodile skin seat covers come to mind.
    Morally flawed

Engraving

I think that such work should primarily be regarded as a work of art, and the fact that it is on a gun is quite irrelevant.
    If it is regarded as primarily a gun, then I think such work may be a touch overdone !!!
    Nevertheless, such Holland and Purdey guns are still beautifully built and totally fit for purpose even though they may be seldom used except to brag about.
    Gold plated lawnmower anyone ?

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    I think that they are amazing works of art, but if I owned one I wouold probably be afraid to use it for it's intended purpose. Can you imagine how it would feel if you put a dink in it?
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL