Thread: Valuation: HW77 with target sights and consecutive serial #'s

Valuation: HW77 with target sights and consecutive serial #'s

Hello chaps,

Could I have a valuation (of sorts) on these pair of HW77's please? I say 'sort of' because I have reasonable idea of what they are worth in terms of money. But really what I was more interested in is simply whether or not these would be considered collectable because of the age or the cool story that comes with them.

Photos are here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...5B?usp=sharing

Its a pair of HW77's in .177 - both with diopter style target sights.

They belonged to an air training corps squadron (since new) in Middlesex and almost went to RAF Northholt for destruction. The cadets have standardised a lot of their .22 rimmys and air rifles and these do not fit the new standard. There's nothing wrong with them they shoot brilliantly and are very accurate with JSB Exacts. They've been used on the same indoor tube range their whole lives.

The really nice thing imo - is that they have consecutive serial numbers from HW / Hull Cartridge 1298087 and 1298088. HW serial number tracker says manufactured in 1993 but the squadron commander reckons that they were delivered in 1989 / 1990 - we cant find the paperwork as its long since been destroyed but they will have come from either Hull Cartridge under a MOD contract, RAF Northolt QM stores or maybe possibly Woody's of Wembley. These rifles were lightly cleaned and oiled after every use! Considering the amount of hands they've been through, they are in pretty good nick.

That's it really, hope you enjoy having a look, any info and comments really appreciated.

Cheers

AD_K

Is it just the pictures or are the underlever bowed on them they seem to both be the same in the pictures. They look like mk3 hw77’s from the front underlever catch taking the sights away from them you would be looking at £200 depending on if the underlevers are bent or not. As if they are bent then are the barrels slightly bent from the underlever hitting them hard etc. As for the story on them if you could find someone who used them at the time maybe then they might be more of a collectors item to them as memories etc but that would also depend on evidence to what you are saying about them as well. But otherwise I would say unless there is a collector who wanted 2 rifles with the next serial number they would just come under normal rifle prices. The sights could be worth some money but I’m not sure on there worth at all.

I agree I’m afraid I can’t see anything collectible about these, sorry.
    Morally flawed

Thanks for mentioning the sights, I've had a look online and they appear to be quite nice original HW sets.

Underlevers are definitely bent, barrels are not.

I've got a short written statement from the wings weapon officer to validate what I've said about them, but they weren't owned by anyone rich or famous so I feel its more just cool curio rather than anything else.

HW77 Value

As above. £180 - £200 tops each and sell the diopters separate at £70 each as they are the 11mm rail version rather than the early 13mm rail version. Mach 1.5
    Last edited by Mach 1.5; 22-06-2021 at 06:17 PM.

Great story though mate and I would say the sights on seperate

One thing I would say is straighten the cocking levers before you sell them as that would put a lot of people off I would say as they would be wondering if the barrels where bent etc. Good luck with your sale mate if they where mk1’s I would of had them off you especially with the story behind them as well as I like to buy anything with a story behind it as I feel it makes the item that more important when you have the history of it. But as said it doesn’t really add to the value

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Hello mate, long time.

I'd defo get the levers straightened - not too tricky, so long as you don't try and do it yourself

Also I think the advice of removing the diopters to sell seperately is good

ATB - JB
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Agree with all the above. The provenance is interesting, but doesn’t add value. Brigade of Guards might, but not an ATC squadron (and I speak as a former air cadet).

Please advise when and where they will be advertised as I may be interested in buying one.
    Cheers
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    As above. £180 - £200 tops each and sell the diopters separate at £70 each as they are the 11mm rail version rather than the early 13mm rail version. Mach 1.5
    Agree, I was happy to pay £70 for HW Dioptre at a Kempton Arms Fair