Thread: Soviet Bloc Springers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Of course these comparisons are a bit invidious. The Warsaw Pact countries had a different and fatally flawed economic system and were desperate for foreign currency, and so they would sell stuff to the west at prices that we would have thought of as a loss.

In general, their designs were robust, solid, unsophisticated in overall design and in features like sights and triggers, and generally rather old-fashioned.

In general, their designs were robust, solid, unsophisticated in overall design and in features … and generally rather old-fashioned.
    They sound absolutely ideal for the inhabitants of collectors corner then !
    Morally flawed

A second hand Relum Tornado was all I could afford for my first air rifle back in the 1980’s.... I didn’t hit much with it but it certainly didn’t put me off airguns, so they definitely served a purpose.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    A second hand Relum Tornado was all I could afford for my first air rifle back in the 1980’s.... I didn’t hit much with it but it certainly didn’t put me off airguns, so they definitely served a purpose.

Matt
    As above
    But a bit earlier.
    I put a shed load of pellets through my Tornado,I did occasionally hit the odd tin can.
    I still have the gun..
    Les..

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    My first rifle in the mid-70's just had made in Hungary on it that I recall, it was a junior rifle in 177, around 8 ft/lbs at a guess - but amazingly accurate and consistent.
    Wish I still had it...

The Slavia Models lived on for some years as the Slovakian made Perun 730/731/735 but Im sure that production ceased a year or so ago. This leaves only the Baikal and you hardly ever see any reference their sping air rifles here nowadays.

As I don't have experience of all the springers from Eastern Europe, I'm wondering the hierarchy of quality/performance between the various marques.
    As things stand, I think the various Haenels must rank as the best, well above the Relums and Predoms. I would expect the CZ/ Slavias to be right up there with the Haenels though- like for like, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    As above
    But a bit earlier.
    I put a shed load of pellets through my Tornado,I did occasionally hit the odd tin can.
    I still have the gun..
    Les..
    Hi Les,
    I don’t have my original one but for nostalgia’s sake picked up a nice Super Tornado from Protek recently.

Having zeroed it in I was pleasantly surprised that it is rather accurate with open sights. Who’d have thunk it?
    More on that story later.

Atb,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Hi Les,
    I don’t have my original one but for nostalgia’s sake picked up a nice Super Tornado from Protek recently.

Having zeroed it in I was pleasantly surprised that it is rather accurate with open sights. Who’d have thunk it?
    More on that story later.

Atb,
    Matt
    Hi Mat
    I thought that I would give my Tornado,a long deserved service and try and improve the fireing cycle by fitting a Bsa Meteor spring and guide.
    I removed the twin spring set up,and put in a new leather piston seal,together with the Bsa spring and guide,and it completely spoilt the way the gun shoots..
    I need to have another look at it one day.
    Atb
    Les..

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    Hi Mat
    I thought that I would give my Tornado,a long deserved service and try and improve the fireing cycle by fitting a Bsa Meteor spring and guide.
    I removed the twin spring set up,and put in a new leather piston seal,together with the Bsa spring and guide,and it completely spoilt the way the gun shoots..
    I need to have another look at it one day.
    Atb
    Les..
    I tuned my Super Tornado with a titan spring, stick on buttons, spring guide etc and shoots very nicely at just over 10ft/lbs.