Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webley Service rifle in .25 caliber - rarer?

Webley Service rifle in .25 caliber - rarer?

At a gun show in the US, there is a nice Webley Service rifle in 25 caliber for crazy money. Is that caliber rarer?

Yes it is Steve.

The .25 option did not become available until 1937 and original .25 Services and barrels fetch a premium this side of the pond.

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

I guess this begs the question can a Webley Services really sling a 25 effectively? Hard to believe. Maybe why this one is in such good shape? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I guess this begs the question can a Webley Services really sling a 25 effectively? Hard to believe. Maybe why this one is in such good shape? Lol
    I picked up a nice Webley Mk2 Service in .25 calibre many years ago when I was really looking for one in either .177 or .22. As I didn't intend to shoot it all that regularly, I was happy to take it for it's relative rarity compared with the other two. I must admit to being pleasantly surprised at how flat it shoots at twenty five yards using its preferred Milbro Rhino pellets. Webley soon concluded that .25 offered little advantage over .22 hence the relatively short production period. Reproduction .25 calibre barrels are available but you can expect to pay a significant premium for a matched Ser No example of the rifle here in the UK.
    Brian

If I remember correctly the Webley Service Rifle in .25 had an additional spring so it had two main springs.

The early handbook for the Service suggests the Series 2 was fitted with two mainsprings but from the 3rd edition onwards; only one spring is mentioned and pictured in the parts diagrams, so the internals of a .25 Service were identical to its smaller calibre siblings.

John M
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

[QUOTE=Josie & John;8040827]The early handbook for the Service suggests the Series 2 was fitted with two mainsprings but from the 3rd edition onwards; only one spring is mentioned and pictured in the parts diagrams, so the internals of a .25 Service were identical to its smaller calibre siblings.

Hi. John
    A mate of mine had a .25 Webley Service Rifle and it had two main springs sadly he passed away in January so I cant get a photograph of it to you, I think his son now has the rifle if I see him I will ask him to photograph it if possible.

How can I tell it’s original barrel?

Had a expert look, not original barrel

If you remove the barrel and look on the underside at the breech end the serial number of the rifle should be stamped there,usually on the flat of the keyway that engages in the slot of the barrel housing,but sometimes just to the rear of the keyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Snodgrass View Post
    If you remove the barrel and look on the underside at the breech end the serial number of the rifle should be stamped there,usually on the flat of the keyway that engages in the slot of the barrel housing,but sometimes just to the rear of the keyway.
    No serial number

In the day you could buy spare barrels from Webley these weren't stamped with a serial number. To check its a genuine Webley barrel the Calibre should be stamped on the left side towards the rear. If its the same font style as the .177 and .22 barrels it's likely a genuine one although trying to compare one at the show with another will be difficult. Also the serial number on the action (behind the trigger guard)should be fairly high as it's been stated these only came out in 1937. Regards Tim

A genuine. 25 rifle will have the serial number on the barrel and action. But it could be a genuine .25 barrel as detailed above. It certainly would not be the same value as a matching numbers example even if its a genuine barrel.

Here is a poor photo of three genuine barrels

Quote Originally Posted by erichtfisherman View Post
    In the day you could buy spare barrels from Webley these weren't stamped with a serial number. To check its a genuine Webley barrel the Calibre should be stamped on the left side towards the rear. If its the same font style as the .177 and .22 barrels it's likely a genuine one although trying to compare one at the show with another will be difficult. Also the serial number on the action (behind the trigger guard)should be fairly high as it's been stated these only came out in 1937. Regards Tim
    Gun serial number is 6700+