Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: idiot neighbour

It's idiots like this why airguns will be on fac very soon

Dave.

Apart from shooting rats i dont shoot on the garden anymore, the temptation when the pigeons are pulling out the carrots tho 😂 iv resorted to mesh and a hosepipe to be on the safe side, no danger of upsetting the neighbors, but if his pellet missed its mark and bounced off a branch and got you or the mrs in the eye then it would be a police matter and you wouldn’t hesitate, its still a police matter as he’s shot onto your garden anyway, he’s a accident waiting to happen and clearly has no respect for the law that we all follow, its idiots like him that bump the power of there gun and claim (I bought it like that ), get the pigeon out the bin and show it to plod when you 101 it, the fact he denied it he knows he shouldn’t be doing it so theres no excuse.
    Apart from the pigeon hopefully nobody’s hurt that you know of, but that pellet landed somewhere

Not only is his behaviour dangerous, but he's breaking a whole load of laws too. Not least killing a protected species without a licence, since what he's doing isn't covered by any GL in any part of the UK.

IMO, not phoning the police is worse for shooting in the long term than having idiots like that with guns.

It takes a ''special type '' of person in all reality to report and stand up as a witness ,then carry on living on the criminals doorstep.The OP confronted the guy,and that should and will more than likely be it.
    It's different behind the key board,however in reality not everyone would put their necks on the block,it's the way human nature is.
    As I say he's done his bit,hopefully it goes no further,for the sport /the bad news frenzy and his own right to a peaceful life.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    I think the OP should let things settle for now. He has raised an objection to the individual and had he replied "So what" it might be different. He was'nt happy to be called out and perhaps this will make him think a bit. It might also be an idea to call on him in a couple of days time when you have cooled a little and first off apologise for getting heated but follow this up with a more tempered discussion of the rghts and wrongs - point out that you are a shooter and while you are sympathetic you don't want to do anything to increase focus on the ownership of airguns.

BTW what do the other neighbours think about this behaviour? Have you discussed it with them?
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    I think the OP should let things settle for now. He has raised an objection to the individual and had he replied "So what" it might be different. He was'nt happy to be called out and perhaps this will make him think a bit. It might also be an idea to call on him in a couple of days time when you have cooled a little and first off apologise for getting heated but follow this up with a more tempered discussion of the rghts and wrongs - point out that you are a shooter and while you are sympathetic you don't want to do anything to increase focus on the ownership of airguns.

BTW what do the other neighbours think about this behaviour? Have you discussed it with them?
    Agreed 100%
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

xbow is offline "Right a bit, left a bit............"
    Quote Originally Posted by chim View Post
    Report him anyway
    the pellet should never leave his property
    Is the correct answer. If he cares so little next time a ricochet could hit one of you.
    We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.
    Rudeness is the weak mans imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer.

If I don’t reply to your comments it’s probably because you’re on my Ignore list.

Quote Originally Posted by jcr71 View Post
    we live in a semi rural area and a neighbour 2 doors away likes to shoot the wood pigeons. we often hear him firing his gun, in his back garden, throughout the day. he also shoots pigeons out of the trees, on the opposite side of the street, from his front garden. my partner watched him shoot one last week, from his front doorstep, and just leave it flapping around in the road to slowly die, after it fell out of the tree, which upset her. this annoyed me when she told me, ive nothing against killing pests, but leaving them to die slowly is just cruel, in my book.

this morning, we were sat in the back garden, enjoying the nice weather, when said neighbour shot a pigeon that was sat in the tree in our back garden, about 20ft from us. it fell onto the lawn and flapped its wings for a few seconds before going still. this upset my partner quite a lot, shes an animal lover and a big softy.
    seeing my partner upset got me angry and i shouted out to the bloke, asking him what the hell he thinks hes doing. we all have high fences so cant see each other. i never got any answer.
    i bagged up the bird, it was a nice clean shot through the head, and binned it, then stormed off to confront the bloke. unfortunately my temperature was up, so i wasnt quiet, and i imagine a few people in the close heard me. the bloke denied it was him, which made me more angry. anyway i left, telling him that if i see him out front with his rifle any more im reporting him.

i just cant believe someone would be stupid enough to shoot into other peoples gardens. the neighbour is in his 60's id guess, not some dopey teenager.

enthusiasts follow all the laws and make every effort not to upset people, but one idiot like my neighbour can undo years of good work.
    it really annoys me.
    Report him to the police now...it's that simple.
    He's an idiot who shouldn't be in charge of any type weapon, he's a danger to the public and behaviour like that will eventually contribute to getting all air weapons banned completely or ownership very severely restricted.
    He's proved he's an irresponsible idiot by killing a bird on your property.
    I'm afraid that if it was me I'd have been tempted to threaten to wrap the gun around his neck but logic would tell me that it's best just left to the police, though he'd be left in no doubt as to the consequences if he ever did it again.

The police take this sort of behaviour very seriously and with any luck would prosecute him and seize the opportunity to confiscate the weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Random shooting of Wood Pigeons is in breach of the general licence,
    Shooting across someone else's property is illegal
    shooting a bird on land without permission is illegal,
    shooting within 15m of the road where it causes alarm or distress is illegal,
    Shooting across a public road is highly illegal.

He's bought it on himself, by being an utter t**t report him.

Better he is reported by a fellow shooter, than by an anti, it shows other shooters don't like these idiots either.

Shooting from the middle if the road is not illegal if it does not cause alarm etc to users. If there is nobody or thing viisible to alarm, then you could shoot.

Not being part of your permission is actually the bigger point re shooting from the road.

The bigger picture here is the illegal use of a firearm to shoot quarry that the GL does not accomodate as well as shooting across your permissions boundary.

For this, I would report him. If he is shooting, then a ricochet is a high possibility as well as elevated shots landing anywhere. Bit of a twat all told
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

You are clearly much more restrained than I... it would have been much worse than ‘heated words’ if that had happened in my garden.

Report him, it will be doing the world a favour.

He’s not a airgunner, he’s just a nob that owns a airgun, id have reported him the second the pigeon landed on the garden, he broke the law plain and simple, turning a blind eye would be just as silly as shooting a bird from your neighbors tree and no second thought for where that pellet would land 🙄

thanks for all the replies people. im not going to report the bloke for it, but i have told him that if i see him out front with his rifle any more i will report him, and i mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post

my partner has spoken to the lady next door, shes not happy seeing the birds shot either. and to be honest, i dont expect anyone else in the street is either.
    i cant imagine why you think i should apologise to some idiot who fired a gun into my garden Turnup?

Inform the police, offences have been committed. If they think they are getting away with it then the regularity will increase. Someone or something thing will get hit but an airgun pellet, if an offence caused then it becomes a firearms offence immediately.

He’s committing armed trespass shooting outside his property. This is an offence that carries a prison sentence.
    If he is not reported because of worries about bringing the sport into disrepute, think how much worse it will look when the idiot injures or kills someone and the cops find out the neighbours have been turning a blind eye? In the worse case they could regard the neighbours as accomplices and you all get cautioned at least, which affects your ability to own a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by cjos16 View Post
    He’s not a airgunner, he’s just a nob that owns a airgun, id have reported him the second the pigeon landed on the garden, he broke the law plain and simple, turning a blind eye would be just as silly as shooting a bird from your neighbors tree and no second thought for where that pellet would land 🙄
    ''
    ''turning a blind eye'' He confronted the bloke hardly a blind eye mate.