Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: idiot neighbour

Quote Originally Posted by jcr71 View Post
    thanks for all the replies people. im not going to report the bloke for it, but i have told him that if i see him out front with his rifle any more i will report him, and i mean it.

my partner has spoken to the lady next door, shes not happy seeing the birds shot either. and to be honest, i dont expect anyone else in the street is either.
    i cant imagine why you think i should apologise to some idiot who fired a gun into my garden Turnup?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimny4x4 View Post
    Yes agree this man needs to be brought to book . The OP's temperature could sort this one out swiftly enough and if not he is justified in reporting this .
    However when knowing the surrounding situation beforehand to then tell the Police there is " an armed man in the street " would escalate things to the unthinkable .
    Keep that sort of mischievous remark to yourself !
    Ignoring the immediate threat to life your deliberately inaccurate suggestion could bring , this could get only you into a lot of bother with the Police .
    Recently too many innocent airgun owners , many members here too , when out shooting with permission have gotten a Police gun aimed at them over the same dangerous routine of people who dislike us and our hobby calling the Police when they see someone out on their permission .
    And you advocate doing this deliberately ?
    Shame on you.
    In such circumstances the best come uppance would be the Police arrest and charge the person who made such a report - when its discovered after doors have been kicked down , shots fired and there's blood in the street , that they knew the person and wanted to stir things up .
    Oh grow up man

Quote Originally Posted by jjjohn View Post
    ''
    ''turning a blind eye'' He confronted the bloke hardly a blind eye mate.
    Yeah not completely mate, if his pellet struck a toddler in the face then reporting him wouldn’t be a question, the fact that he was lucky nobody got hurt this time is just that, luck.
    The fact the op confronted him is bang on, and i can respect the fact he showed restraint in that situation, id be bloody mental at that point as i have 3 young kids playing in the garden, but its different people/different circumstances.
    Putting the sport in a bad light would be the last thing on my mind if i was in that situation,i wouldnt do what he did, wouldn’t expect anyone else to, just plain stupid, . The op’s neighbor shouldn’t have a spud gun let alone a air rifle.

Barryg is online now Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

i just cant believe someone would be stupid enough to shoot into other peoples gardens. the neighbour is in his 60's id guess, not some dopey teenager.
    That's what I was thinking.
    Could it be possible that the old age pensioner has a screw loose, do you know anything about him, perhaps he has stopped his medication and don't know what he is doing.

You have done the right thing in trying to inform and educate him.

The next step is to report him.

If you feel that your earlier technique in informing and educating (we’ve all been there) may have not been spot on, you could try again.

But only once, calmly.

If that doesn’t work, definitely report him.

No names, no pack drill

i just cant believe someone would be stupid enough to shoot into other peoples gardens. the neighbour is in his 60's id guess, not some dopey teenager.

enthusiasts follow all the laws and make every effort not to upset people, but one idiot like my neighbour can undo years of good work.
    it really annoys me.
    I'm in regular contact with an old schoolfriend from Somerset. Recently, after some discussion, he took up air gunning again, trading in an old BSA he'd inherited for a modern one.
    He was sighting it in in his large, rural garden, when he heard the distinctive sound of a pellet whizzing by close to him - but not one he'd fired. This happened a few times, until he put a post on one of those neighbourhood sites (NextDoor?) saying it would be reported to the Police - it stopped.
    The nearest house to his belonged to an RFD...
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Barryg is online now Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    It sounds a bit like Victor Meldrew

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    I think the OP should let things settle for now. He has raised an objection to the individual and had he replied "So what" it might be different. He was'nt happy to be called out and perhaps this will make him think a bit. It might also be an idea to call on him in a couple of days time when you have cooled a little and first off apologise for getting heated but follow this up with a more tempered discussion of the rghts and wrongs - point out that you are a shooter and while you are sympathetic you don't want to do anything to increase focus on the ownership of airguns.

BTW what do the other neighbours think about this behaviour? Have you discussed it with them?
    This in heaps.

An idiot maybe, but even idiots need education, and old dogs especially.
    He says it wasn't him. Well between the both of you you can find out who it was All in the course of protecting shooting, which we all love.
    Best done over a cup of tea. Lets hope you can come away with a positive outcome.

I just don't get the: "Report the b'stard" mentality. As if we are all perfect. We don't live in some draconian regime where its every neighbours duty to report on their neighbours. The Police will just log it as one more firearm related crime to help them deny us any fun at all.
    Airgun pellets should never leave the boundary. What is going on needs stopping, but best done with good argument, and the law is on your side. You are helping him.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Would you rather see an injury or death report than a firearms reported report ?

Both show lawful shooters in a bad light but one is way worse.

Let's stop the injury or death one before it happens.

He is not concerned where his pellets are going just now by the sounds of it. Next one could be a serious injury or death.
    Precisely!
    May today be the best day of your life and all your tomorrows even better!!

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    thanks for all the replies people. im not going to report the bloke for it, but i have told him that if i see him out front with his rifle any more i will report him, and i mean it.

my partner has spoken to the lady next door, shes not happy seeing the birds shot either. and to be honest, i dont expect anyone else in the street is either.
    i cant imagine why you think i should apologise to some idiot who fired a gun into my garden Turnup?
    I think you are taking the right approach by warning him that you will report him if it happens again. the last thing we airgunners want is for the press to pick up on this. that would do no favours at all. just my view.

It would seem to me by his denial that he probably thought nobody knew it was him shooting the birds.
    I would hope that you challenging him has put the frighteners on him and it won't happen again.

Perhaps obtaining one of the pamphlets that explains the GL and airgun law and putting it through his door might help educate him especially if he's an older man who simply might not be aware the law has changed dramatically from his childhood. (unlikely unless he's just came back to airguns after decades away)

Either way, if it happens again the police absolutely do need to be involved.

Im sure your wife will make it known among the neighbours what happened in your own garden,, just in case some of them know you have a rifle and thought perhaps it was you shooting the birds.

xbow is offline "Right a bit, left a bit............"
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post

I just don't get the: "Report the b'stard" mentality. As if we are all perfect. We don't live in some draconian regime where its every neighbours duty to report on their neighbours. The Police will just log it as one more firearm related crime to help them deny us any fun at all.
    Airgun pellets should never leave the boundary. What is going on needs stopping, but best done with good argument, and the law is on your side. You are helping him.
    How “perfect” anyone else is has nothing to do with it.

There is a moral duty to report crime.

The police can’t act to protect the public if they don’t know what’s happening.
    Waiting until someone gets hurt isn’t an option.

Having said all that, doing the right thing is not always easy.
    We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.
    Rudeness is the weak mans imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer.

If I don’t reply to your comments it’s probably because you’re on my Ignore list.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344

I do not know what words and forceful voice you used but I was trying to engineer a means whereby you can open a possibly more constructive dialogue with him. It seems so far that no-one has tried to curtail his activity by simply expressing disapproval and perhaps pointing out the illegal aspects of his behaviour, and it is possible that he is not aware of either aspect. Much more likley to listen and digest a dispassionate approach. particlulary if this is backed up with the disapproval from other locals. You are not apologising for what he did, you are apologising for your reaction as a way to take some heat out of your relationship with him. If he seems indifferent to all this then cartrainly close with a simple and calm statement that shoud there be a repeat of any projectiles leaving his property then you will certainly involve the police and you have the backing of other neighbours.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by xbow View Post
    How “perfect” anyone else is has nothing to do with it.

There is a moral duty to report crime.

The police can’t act to protect the public if they don’t know what’s happening.
    Waiting until someone gets hurt isn’t an option.

Having said all that, doing the right thing is not always easy.

Well everyone following your driving should report you every time you speed.
    The police aren't there to protect people. Society protects people by everyone helping each other, and the police are there to help society do that.

The OP isn't waiting, for he is taking some action in a friendly but firm way.
    Last edited by Muskett; 13-06-2021 at 02:02 PM.

Turnip's suggestion for the apology isn't to apologise for reacting to the deed, but maybe your initial tone and just a way of reopening the door so a superior educational approach could be used to get the desired result. To stop the guy doing what he is doing.

Escalate it into a war and the next thing is some "neighbour" will have the Police on you for carrying your guns to the car. It all gets stupid too easily.

Turnip and I are just suggesting that there might be an alternative more positive way.