Thread: idiot neighbour

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DM1964 View Post
    This is annoying, if you cant kill cleanly don't pull the trigger, but to shoot into someone else's garden is against the law and breaks shooting etiquette, I would be having more than words with the idiot.
    If he carries on, take some phone footage and give it to local police, or better still call police and inform them there is an armed man in your street, see if he likes the reception.
    Kin ell..

Apart from shooting rats i dont shoot on the garden anymore, the temptation when the pigeons are pulling out the carrots tho 😂 iv resorted to mesh and a hosepipe to be on the safe side, no danger of upsetting the neighbors, but if his pellet missed its mark and bounced off a branch and got you or the mrs in the eye then it would be a police matter and you wouldn’t hesitate, its still a police matter as he’s shot onto your garden anyway, he’s a accident waiting to happen and clearly has no respect for the law that we all follow, its idiots like him that bump the power of there gun and claim (I bought it like that ), get the pigeon out the bin and show it to plod when you 101 it, the fact he denied it he knows he shouldn’t be doing it so theres no excuse.
    Apart from the pigeon hopefully nobody’s hurt that you know of, but that pellet landed somewhere

Not only is his behaviour dangerous, but he's breaking a whole load of laws too. Not least killing a protected species without a licence, since what he's doing isn't covered by any GL in any part of the UK.

IMO, not phoning the police is worse for shooting in the long term than having idiots like that with guns.

It takes a ''special type '' of person in all reality to report and stand up as a witness ,then carry on living on the criminals doorstep.The OP confronted the guy,and that should and will more than likely be it.
    It's different behind the key board,however in reality not everyone would put their necks on the block,it's the way human nature is.
    As I say he's done his bit,hopefully it goes no further,for the sport /the bad news frenzy and his own right to a peaceful life.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    I think the OP should let things settle for now. He has raised an objection to the individual and had he replied "So what" it might be different. He was'nt happy to be called out and perhaps this will make him think a bit. It might also be an idea to call on him in a couple of days time when you have cooled a little and first off apologise for getting heated but follow this up with a more tempered discussion of the rghts and wrongs - point out that you are a shooter and while you are sympathetic you don't want to do anything to increase focus on the ownership of airguns.

BTW what do the other neighbours think about this behaviour? Have you discussed it with them?
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    I think the OP should let things settle for now. He has raised an objection to the individual and had he replied "So what" it might be different. He was'nt happy to be called out and perhaps this will make him think a bit. It might also be an idea to call on him in a couple of days time when you have cooled a little and first off apologise for getting heated but follow this up with a more tempered discussion of the rghts and wrongs - point out that you are a shooter and while you are sympathetic you don't want to do anything to increase focus on the ownership of airguns.

BTW what do the other neighbours think about this behaviour? Have you discussed it with them?
    Agreed 100%
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

thanks for all the replies people. im not going to report the bloke for it, but i have told him that if i see him out front with his rifle any more i will report him, and i mean it.

my partner has spoken to the lady next door, shes not happy seeing the birds shot either. and to be honest, i dont expect anyone else in the street is either.
    i cant imagine why you think i should apologise to some idiot who fired a gun into my garden Turnup?

He’s committing armed trespass shooting outside his property. This is an offence that carries a prison sentence.
    If he is not reported because of worries about bringing the sport into disrepute, think how much worse it will look when the idiot injures or kills someone and the cops find out the neighbours have been turning a blind eye? In the worse case they could regard the neighbours as accomplices and you all get cautioned at least, which affects your ability to own a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by jcr71 View Post
    thanks for all the replies people. im not going to report the bloke for it, but i have told him that if i see him out front with his rifle any more i will report him, and i mean it.

my partner has spoken to the lady next door, shes not happy seeing the birds shot either. and to be honest, i dont expect anyone else in the street is either.
    i cant imagine why you think i should apologise to some idiot who fired a gun into my garden Turnup?

micky2 is online now The collector formerly known as micky

I think you are taking the right approach by warning him that you will report him if it happens again. the last thing we airgunners want is for the press to pick up on this. that would do no favours at all. just my view.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344

I do not know what words and forceful voice you used but I was trying to engineer a means whereby you can open a possibly more constructive dialogue with him. It seems so far that no-one has tried to curtail his activity by simply expressing disapproval and perhaps pointing out the illegal aspects of his behaviour, and it is possible that he is not aware of either aspect. Much more likley to listen and digest a dispassionate approach. particlulary if this is backed up with the disapproval from other locals. You are not apologising for what he did, you are apologising for your reaction as a way to take some heat out of your relationship with him. If he seems indifferent to all this then cartrainly close with a simple and calm statement that shoud there be a repeat of any projectiles leaving his property then you will certainly involve the police and you have the backing of other neighbours.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

This in heaps.

An idiot maybe, but even idiots need education, and old dogs especially.
    He says it wasn't him. Well between the both of you you can find out who it was All in the course of protecting shooting, which we all love.
    Best done over a cup of tea. Lets hope you can come away with a positive outcome.

I just don't get the: "Report the b'stard" mentality. As if we are all perfect. We don't live in some draconian regime where its every neighbours duty to report on their neighbours. The Police will just log it as one more firearm related crime to help them deny us any fun at all.
    Airgun pellets should never leave the boundary. What is going on needs stopping, but best done with good argument, and the law is on your side. You are helping him.

xbow is offline "Right a bit, left a bit............"
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post

I just don't get the: "Report the b'stard" mentality. As if we are all perfect. We don't live in some draconian regime where its every neighbours duty to report on their neighbours. The Police will just log it as one more firearm related crime to help them deny us any fun at all.
    Airgun pellets should never leave the boundary. What is going on needs stopping, but best done with good argument, and the law is on your side. You are helping him.
    How “perfect” anyone else is has nothing to do with it.

There is a moral duty to report crime.

The police can’t act to protect the public if they don’t know what’s happening.
    Waiting until someone gets hurt isn’t an option.

Having said all that, doing the right thing is not always easy.
    We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.
    Rudeness is the weak mans imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer.

If I don’t reply to your comments it’s probably because you’re on my Ignore list.