Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: idiot neighbour

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TopDog View Post
    More importantly; you say the shot was through the head so we should be concerned where the shot eventually landed! Skyward shots are a no-no unless the backstop is assured and suitable!

In any event, so much wrong with what this guy is doing it is inexcusable!

As another respondent has pointed out, it is real ammo for the anti-shooting lobby!
    Would you rather see an injury or death report than a firearms reported report ?

Both show lawful shooters in a bad light but one is way worse.

Let's stop the injury or death one before it happens.

He is not concerned where his pellets are going just now by the sounds of it. Next one could be a serious injury or death.

Report him.

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    As Robf said, report him. He's breaking the law by shooting outside his property boundaries and across a highway. He's also upsetting the public, which is another offence.

Anyone capable of shooting like this for the fun of it - even if his justification is pest control - is capable of switching up to other animals, like cats and dogs. Sooner or later it'll escalate, better to get his little "hobby" quashed now.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Would you rather see an injury or death report than a firearms reported report ?

Both show lawful shooters in a bad light but one is way worse.

Let's stop the injury or death one before it happens.

He is not concerned where his pellets are going just now by the sounds of it. Next one could be a serious injury or death.
    Precisely!
    May today be the best day of your life and all your tomorrows even better!!

Quote Originally Posted by jcr71 View Post
    we live in a semi rural area and a neighbour 2 doors away likes to shoot the wood pigeons. we often hear him firing his gun, in his back garden, throughout the day. he also shoots pigeons out of the trees, on the opposite side of the street, from his front garden. my partner watched him shoot one last week, from his front doorstep, and just leave it flapping around in the road to slowly die, after it fell out of the tree, which upset her. this annoyed me when she told me, ive nothing against killing pests, but leaving them to die slowly is just cruel, in my book.

this morning, we were sat in the back garden, enjoying the nice weather, when said neighbour shot a pigeon that was sat in the tree in our back garden, about 20ft from us. it fell onto the lawn and flapped its wings for a few seconds before going still. this upset my partner quite a lot, shes an animal lover and a big softy.
    seeing my partner upset got me angry and i shouted out to the bloke, asking him what the hell he thinks hes doing. we all have high fences so cant see each other. i never got any answer.
    i bagged up the bird, it was a nice clean shot through the head, and binned it, then stormed off to confront the bloke. unfortunately my temperature was up, so i wasnt quiet, and i imagine a few people in the close heard me. the bloke denied it was him, which made me more angry. anyway i left, telling him that if i see him out front with his rifle any more im reporting him.

i just cant believe someone would be stupid enough to shoot into other peoples gardens. the neighbour is in his 60's id guess, not some dopey teenager.

enthusiasts follow all the laws and make every effort not to upset people, but one idiot like my neighbour can undo years of good work.
    it really annoys me.
    Report him to the police now...it's that simple.
    He's an idiot who shouldn't be in charge of any type weapon, he's a danger to the public and behaviour like that will eventually contribute to getting all air weapons banned completely or ownership very severely restricted.
    He's proved he's an irresponsible idiot by killing a bird on your property.
    I'm afraid that if it was me I'd have been tempted to threaten to wrap the gun around his neck but logic would tell me that it's best just left to the police, though he'd be left in no doubt as to the consequences if he ever did it again.

The police take this sort of behaviour very seriously and with any luck would prosecute him and seize the opportunity to confiscate the weapon.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

i just cant believe someone would be stupid enough to shoot into other peoples gardens. the neighbour is in his 60's id guess, not some dopey teenager.
    That's what I was thinking.
    Could it be possible that the old age pensioner has a screw loose, do you know anything about him, perhaps he has stopped his medication and don't know what he is doing.

You have done the right thing in trying to inform and educate him.

The next step is to report him.

If you feel that your earlier technique in informing and educating (we’ve all been there) may have not been spot on, you could try again.

But only once, calmly.

If that doesn’t work, definitely report him.

No names, no pack drill

enthusiasts follow all the laws and make every effort not to upset people, but one idiot like my neighbour can undo years of good work.
    it really annoys me.
    I'm in regular contact with an old schoolfriend from Somerset. Recently, after some discussion, he took up air gunning again, trading in an old BSA he'd inherited for a modern one.
    He was sighting it in in his large, rural garden, when he heard the distinctive sound of a pellet whizzing by close to him - but not one he'd fired. This happened a few times, until he put a post on one of those neighbourhood sites (NextDoor?) saying it would be reported to the Police - it stopped.
    The nearest house to his belonged to an RFD...
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    It sounds a bit like Victor Meldrew

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    It sounds a bit like Victor Meldrew
    Nah ! Old Victor would have got out his old Webley Senior and shot back

I think jcr17 has done pretty good all things considered.

One thing as a gun / air rifle owner is never lose your temper. Even when provoked.
    The other thing is the laws on guns have become increasingly complicated and we all need advice at some time.
    And then there are plenty of safety considerations..

If we help each other we will all get there. And the barriers to shooting sports will come down so more people can enjoy the sport. Shooting sports is fun, and some can be done in the back garden.

Wood pigeon are a legitimate quarry, an agricultural pest, and can be shot under the conditions of the GL. (The GL is in a bit of a mess, but stands as written. It is the law. It could be better improved with some thought.)
    County Councils spend hundreds of thousands of £s on pigeon/bird issues.
    Much more is common sense and shooting across garden boundaries is a no no. To stop such antics is to me best first approach with some education, with Police the ultimate resort.

I hope this local issue has been resolved. Tranquility returned to the neighbourhood!

seeing my partner upset got me angry and i shouted out to the bloke, asking him what the hell he thinks hes doing. we all have high fences so cant see each other. i never got any answer.
    i bagged up the bird, it was a nice clean shot through the head, and binned it, then stormed off to confront the bloke. unfortunately my temperature was up, so i wasnt quiet, and i imagine a few people in the close heard me. the bloke denied it was him, which made me more angry. anyway i left, telling him that if i see him out front with his rifle any more im reporting him.

I personnelly think you did well, confronting the guy face to face and with restraint.
    Very good chance this all over already.
    VAYA CON DIOS

I would leave it . he's been warned, if it happens again then call the police

If some idiot did this in my neighbourhood I would not hesitate to report them, clowns like this idiot shouldn't be in possession of an airgun and if someone in the neighbourhood got hurt i think you would regret not reporting his earlier behaviour.

Dave.

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Unsafe & stupid. I'd report it now, not wait for a next time.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)