Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: idiot neighbour

It's a difficult one for sure,
    I wouldn't be happy about someone shooting over my garden.
    The OP has confronted the chap in question and if he doesn't stop he's left with no option.
    I understand reporting it is fuel for the antis but enough is enough, it's dangerous
    If it's to the point where the police need to confiscate the rifle it's probably the best outcome

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by cjos16 View Post
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....60#post7274060
    Post #8 you want to shoot pigeons and jackdaws in your back garden ? I grow veg, fruit, but shooting pigeons and jackdaws on my garden wouldnt be legal, whats diffrent about yours ?
    as you can clearly see from that thread, i didnt even own a gun then or know the current laws. but like a responsible adult i joined a forum to get some expert advice.

and just for your information, after i bought a gun off a very helpful member on this site, i went on to plink but never shot at a single creature.

also, as i stated at the start of this thread, i have nothing against someone shooting pests in their own garden.

im sorry if ive offended you in some way so that you feel you need to try and paint me in a bad light.

Quote Originally Posted by jcr71 View Post
    as you can clearly see from that thread, i didnt even own a gun then or know the current laws. but like a responsible adult i joined a forum to get some expert advice.

and just for your information, after i bought a gun off a very helpful member on this site, i went on to plink but never shot at a single creature.

also, as i stated at the start of this thread, i have nothing against someone shooting pests in their own garden.

im sorry if ive offended you in some way so that you feel you need to try and paint me in a bad light.
    Can't see how your post(s) would offend anyone, tbh.
    One thing you mentioned in the first post of this thread was that your neighbour was shooting across the road - that, like footpaths, is a big no no, & could end in a world of pain for him, as well as being incredibly stupid.
    When I used to cycle into work & back along a country lane, one of the local farmers used to take pot-shots from his yard with a .22 cartridge rifle at pigeons/crows in trees at the other side of the road, very disconcerting to cyclists & walkers! Don't know if someone 'had a word' but it soon stopped.

ATB

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

1. You can it shoot wood pigeons under the GL in most circumstances. It's clear his killing sprees don't fit into the limited exemptions. So, he's breaking the law.

2. Shooting outwith his boundary without consent is also breaking the law.

3. Leaving animals or birds to die in pain without a follow up shoot etc is also against the law.

Anyone suggesting you don't report him just in case it adds fuel to the 'antis' is just as much a problem for the sport as your neighbour. He needs to be reported. We need to hold our own to high standards. We cannot claim moral high ground against the antis if we turn blind eyes to this. One day he may end up shooting someone by mistake given his clearly reckless behaviour, and then where does that leave you given you knowingly let him do this? Get it reported.
    Last edited by Dàibhidh; 16-06-2021 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    It sounds a bit like Victor Meldrew
    Nah ! Old Victor would have got out his old Webley Senior and shot back

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post

Sorry, I just find it alien that communities can't work some of this kind of thing out without referring everything to the Police, the Council, someone else, some "higher" authority. Can't anyone show a bit of responsible leadership?
    However, I do think at some point certain things should be taken to another level, as some things are too big. But not someone knocking off a flipping pigeon straight off, straight to jail. Yes, it is illegal. Yes, it needs to stop. No one here condones it. But it doesn't warrant the Police kicking down doors straight off as some here seem to suggest it should.
    Give it all some proportionality.
    Proportionality is exactly what your post is lacking

We are showing responsibility when we say it should be reported

No one would be "straight to jail", neither would the police be "kicking down doors"
    If you were lucky in about a week he'd get a visit from a uniform asking him to explain what had happened.
    It took 10 days for them to appear after my idiot neighbour made the written statement I referred to above & that was only 2 years ago.

Personally I view anyone who argues against reporting such behaviour as partially condoning it.

I think jcr17 has done pretty good all things considered.

One thing as a gun / air rifle owner is never lose your temper. Even when provoked.
    The other thing is the laws on guns have become increasingly complicated and we all need advice at some time.
    And then there are plenty of safety considerations..

If we help each other we will all get there. And the barriers to shooting sports will come down so more people can enjoy the sport. Shooting sports is fun, and some can be done in the back garden.

Wood pigeon are a legitimate quarry, an agricultural pest, and can be shot under the conditions of the GL. (The GL is in a bit of a mess, but stands as written. It is the law. It could be better improved with some thought.)
    County Councils spend hundreds of thousands of £s on pigeon/bird issues.
    Much more is common sense and shooting across garden boundaries is a no no. To stop such antics is to me best first approach with some education, with Police the ultimate resort.

I hope this local issue has been resolved. Tranquility returned to the neighbourhood!

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Proportionality is exactly what your post is lacking

We are showing responsibility when we say it should be reported

No one would be "straight to jail", neither would the police be "kicking down doors"
    If you were lucky in about a week he'd get a visit from a uniform asking him to explain what had happened.
    It took 10 days for them to appear after my idiot neighbour made the written statement I referred to above & that was only 2 years ago.

Personally I view anyone who argues against reporting such behaviour as partially condoning it.
    Well this is where you are wrong. The Police have a history of kicking down door for even lesser reasons than here.
    I presume you are not enjoying the Police involvement to the erroneous accusation? You are now on record.
    And you want this case to go the same way, when quite possibly there was no need after a quiet word?

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Well this is where you are wrong. The Police have a history of kicking down door for even lesser reasons than here.
    I presume you are not enjoying the Police involvement to the erroneous accusation? You are now on record.
    And you want this case to go the same way, when quite possibly there was no need after a quiet word?
    Well I've never heard of kicking down a door over shooting birds/wildlife in a neighbours garden, which is the event you report to the police.

It cost me a couple of hours to explain & show them proof of my version of events and the truth of the matter came out against the idiot.
    Yes it's on record, so what ? my new FEO mentioned it at my renewal, I explained the whole thing & the renewal went through, no great shakes.

Big difference, it was a total lie against me from a nutcase I'd told to stop trespassing on my land.
    In this case the idiot has been seen carrying out these illegal acts,
    so reporting the shooting of the bird in his garden, along with his having been seen by the partner shooting from his doorstep is the justified course of action.

So you make my point: once Police get involved it never goes away.
    The Police have a notorious reputation for over reacting on gun related issues. Sometimes for good reason, and sometimes a little more thought might have helped. Tough call for the Police, they don't need the extra work when its not completely necessary.
    Thankfully, they have generally stopped swooping down with swat team and helicopter on pigeon shooters sitting in a field protecting crops; all from some "report of people with guns in a field".
    There have been other incidents too.
    We all know the legislation on toy guns (airsoft replicas) was not for public safety but because the Police didn't want to ever have to shoot someone with a toy gun again; and have to explain it all let alone a policeman have to live with that fact. (Criminals will just spray the brightly coloured replicas with a £6 can of paint. The law abiding public are now denied the pleasure of collecting such toys, or joining a reenactment or airsoft club. The Police can now shoot with confidence that its not a toy )

An idiot opposite was shooting into the street from a front bedroom window & hit my young son in the back of the neck, broken skin no other injury. I phoned the police & gave a running commentary while on the phone as he was shooting. An air rifle & drugs was found in the house, the teenagers parents denied it was him !!!
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

I think it very sad when someones first reaction is "report him".

I have never been a "report him" type of bloke, i would sooner deal with it myself.

Best to go and have a word with him about shooting out of his boundary. I would of looked on the dead pigeon as a bit of extra ferret food, so would my mrs.