Thread: HW 100 barrel band

HW 100 barrel band

Hi all, sorry if this has been covered before but, Is there any accuracy gains to be had by removing the barrel band on a HW 100?

Yes. A free floting barrel is always potentially more accurate unless the barrels frequency and harmonics are really bad.

You have a couple of options.

If the group is tight with the band, do you want to "fix" it?

The barrel band hole for the barrel has an o ring fitted. Some remove this. So long as the band and barrel dont touch anywhere 360° then you have a free floating barrel and some protecion if you barrel whack it.

My band with the o ring touched so the band was dropped and a sling stud fitted instead.

The barrel on an HW100 is both chunky and goes into the action deeply. Years of HFT and hunting has had no issues at all. The 100 does not imho need the barrel band.

The only argument is if you had a modded band for the air cylinder only to stop any leverage causing an issue. Mine has been fine without and its an older mk2 now... one of the last pre anti tamper models.

Hope this helps.

Btw, swithing to a decent alloy and an efficient reg makes the 100 a different gun be it std or carbine.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    Yes. A free floting barrel is always potentially more accurate unless the barrels frequency and harmonics are really bad.

You have a couple of options.

If the group is tight with the band, do you want to "fix" it?

The barrel band hole for the barrel has an o ring fitted. Some remove this. So long as the band and barrel dont touch anywhere 360° then you have a free floating barrel and some protecion if you barrel whack it.

My band with the o ring touched so the band was dropped and a sling stud fitted instead.

The barrel on an HW100 is both chunky and goes into the action deeply. Years of HFT and hunting has had no issues at all. The 100 does not imho need the barrel band.

The only argument is if you had a modded band for the air cylinder only to stop any leverage causing an issue. Mine has been fine without and its an older mk2 now... one of the last pre anti tamper models.

Hope this helps.

Btw, swithing to a decent alloy and an efficient reg makes the 100 a different gun be it std or carbine.
    Great reply, thanks. I’ll try removing the barrel band o ring and test 1st. Which light weight cylinder would you recommend?

Ratworks.... phil..... but if it was a choice between swapping reg Vs cylinder, then the reg is a huge game changer. The cylinder also runs on 250 bar too if you want to

Thanks, I’ll get in touch with Phil about a cylinder. To be honest my 100 is very consistent running at 775 FPS and plenty enough shots for me (120)

What's the cost of a new reg and cylinder fitting. Atb mick

Off the top of my head it was 300 ish fo reg n tube.

Well, tried with the barrel band on and off an made no difference what so ever. It’s a super accurate gun anyway but was just curious. Was also thinking of changing it for a slightly lighter FX Maverick but just can’t justify another £800 on top of an already fantastic rifle. 👌🏻

I removed the O-Ring from my barrel band after I discovered some water had at some stage previously gotten trapped and caused a ring of rust on the barrel. I noticed how the barrel naturally sits is not concentric with the band either so it's likely helped a little although it was reasonably accurate anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew 3 View Post
    Well, tried with the barrel band on and off an made no difference what so ever. It’s a super accurate gun anyway but was just curious. Was also thinking of changing it for a slightly lighter FX Maverick but just can’t justify another £800 on top of an already fantastic rifle. 👌🏻
    Thank you for your investigation, guess those Weihrauch chaps know what their doing.

They sure do! I shoot better groups with a slightly heavier rifle too and it has a sling fitted, so don’t think the Maverick, tempting as it may be, will be on the shopping list anytime soon.