Thread: Dusting PCP's off after 10 years of zero use. OH DEAR!! (what grease?)

Dusting PCP's off after 10 years of zero use. OH DEAR!! (what grease?)

This shooting malarky is costly. First daughter mentions she wants to try again, then I decide "I NEED" some guns from my
    youth.

Carbon bottle well out of test date so another bottle ordered, and some scopes and pellets and gun rests and ...... longlist.

Wife and daughter both have Bejamin Discoveries, air escapes when filling, tried cocking and still the same. Wifes bolt
    sounds like its moving inside a packet of cornflakes. Started inspecting and it looks like someones filled it with said
    cornflakes also? Slightly yellow(ish) crumbs fall out, thought seal had broken up or the grease they used had
    set rock hard? Could be worse I thought it was rust in the cylinders at first. New seal kits ordered for both.

Then it comes time to fill my old FN19, oh dear this is not going well another leaker. Another set of seals ordered.

Got a cheap pump to test the pressures so I dont waste all the air from the bottle. That doesnt work either, just
    doomed.

Starting to think that maybe I should have stuck with springers, then I had the memory of the crunching noise from my
    last springer a Webley Vulcan midway through a course. Not a sound you forget easily.

What grease do you all use when assembling PCP seals? Is the red rubber grease sold at Toolstation etc. suitable?
    Is that just silicone grease? Or will I need something actually labelled silicone grease?

Thanks
    Dave.

For O rings Molykote 111, only the merest smear, rub a dab between finger & thumb over the O ring.
    Many seal kits include a small amount which is still enough for several guns.

Quote Originally Posted by FOZZD1 View Post
    This shooting malarky is costly. First daughter mentions she wants to try again, then I decide "I NEED" some guns from my
    youth.

Carbon bottle well out of test date so another bottle ordered, and some scopes and pellets and gun rests and ...... longlist.

Wife and daughter both have Bejamin Discoveries, air escapes when filling, tried cocking and still the same. Wifes bolt
    sounds like its moving inside a packet of cornflakes. Started inspecting and it looks like someones filled it with said
    cornflakes also? Slightly yellow(ish) crumbs fall out, thought seal had broken up or the grease they used had
    set rock hard? Could be worse I thought it was rust in the cylinders at first. New seal kits ordered for both.

Then it comes time to fill my old FN19, oh dear this is not going well another leaker. Another set of seals ordered.

Got a cheap pump to test the pressures so I dont waste all the air from the bottle. That doesnt work either, just
    doomed.

Starting to think that maybe I should have stuck with springers, then I had the memory of the crunching noise from my
    last springer a Webley Vulcan midway through a course. Not a sound you forget easily.

What grease do you all use when assembling PCP seals? Is the red rubber grease sold at Toolstation etc. suitable?
    Is that just silicone grease? Or will I need something actually labelled silicone grease?

Thanks
    Dave.
    I thought about the above about 15 years or so ago , So to avoid all the hassle I bought a theoben rapid,

I was asking about the red rubber grease because its available locally where everything else will need to be ordered.
    If its way better then waiting an extra day or two will not hurt.

Any tips on refitting where the cylinders are not the best finished items? Seen comments where they have said the
    cylinders can have burrs and sharp edges. One mentioned they have a special tool to fit them?

Thinking super thin shim steel or similar?

My S400 (which maybe a GML?) Still has plenty of air even after 10+ years. Although I did fit a new valve before we
    stopped shooting so I must have fitted it properly.

Seal kit under £20 including an upgraded double seal on the barrel so not too bad. If it was going to be expensive I
    was thinking just go and get something new. Problem is everything is multiplied by 3...

Thanks
    Dave.
    Last edited by FOZZD1; 13-06-2021 at 11:12 PM.

im usless working on guns all my guns get serviced from local gun smith,good luck bud

I like the challenge but sometimes it does go pear shaped and I think why did I do that.

I fitted the valve to the S400 almost 10 years ago and its still got well over 100bar left it in. Although
    they did supply a valve without the gauge port, so no gauge.

2 Discoveries and one FN19 to repair. Seals arrived today so just waiting for the grease.

Just wondered if anyone had any tips when fitting the parts to make sure there are no rough parts to
    snag the seals. Someone did mention using a special tool when assmbling crosman seals.
    Discoveries appear to be Crosman parts. Didn't know that at the time.

Thanks