Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air gun pellet target traps

Air gun pellet target traps

I need something to distract me for short intervals of respite from the life and death crap that has and is visiting our family.

I have been thinking on getting a dedicated target trap.
    What is the consensus on the knock em down magnet reset units that are seen at every turn, same unit different badge.
    Like this
    https://www.guncity.com/fun-target-m...et-trap-362016

Are they worthwhile and robust enough for across the shed shooting with springers shooting in the range of 700fps?
    Thanks all.

They are made to a budget and steel could do with being thicker.
    They do work. They don't last forever on a range.
    The magnet holding strip on ours had some plastic component which of course got shattered.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    I need something to distract me for short intervals of respite from the life and death crap that has and is visiting our family.

What is the consensus on the knock em down magnet reset units that are seen at every turn, same unit different badge.
    Like this

Are they worthwhile and robust enough for across the shed shooting with springers shooting in the range of 700fps?
    Thanks all.
    No.

Steve C.
    AirArms S400k L/H (.177)BTAS, tuned, AirArms S410k L/H (.177) walnut, BTAS tuned, AA MPR .177 L/H walnut (STOLEN) and...L/H EV2
    BASC

Hi ,how big is your shed ?
    At my local range they got some for the younger shooters (loan guns putting out about 9 1/2-10.00ftlbs ,15 -20 yds out ) they did not last that long before they were too battered to use.

Fine for pistols but won't last long for rifles. we have one at the club but its strictly pistol use only.

Bob
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

BARPC

Basingstoke Air Rifle & Pistol Club. Founded 1975

How about obtaining / making a pellet trap for paper targets and you can have imaginatively drawn and different shaped targets all the time? And a bell target? And, if budget allows, how about a lower powered rifle (like a junior model) for short range use or even a pistol for greater challenge? There's a good choice of worthy, well-priced junior rifles and pistols at the lower end of the market.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

my mate made me a couple years ago,heavy gauge stuff hes a welder still going strong

Have the single bird one & most times they bounce back up.
    I do have a pigeon one from http://www.nockover-targets.co.uk/cordless_targets.html
    They are much better, you would just need a box to mount them in as they can be mounted on the floor

When I begin, I bought some of the cheap and cheerful targets off etc. They were okish, but didn't last long. Then I found G8fun targets in the UK. They're well made, more like rimgire type targets, and have lasted ages
    Many of their offerings aren't much different in price to the cheapo ones.
    Member of SACS and Scottish Target Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post

Like this

Thanks all.
    Got one here and even with pistols, they won't last long, as with the general consensus before, go for something better.

Not quite what you asked about, but Wolfman (and probably others?) offer a pellet catcher cum target holder for just about £30 which is very tough, capable of withstanding many, many 12 fpe impacts with only cosmetic damage
    Holds 17cm target cards / paper.
    Not exactly quiet in use, the impacts are quite loud on a flat sheet of steel.

Had one & sold it on while it still worked.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

As a fun plinking target for low powered guns i.e c 3 ft lb (e.g CO2 pistols like CP88) used at 6 - 15 yards they are pretty good. With a more powerful gun the target can bounce back and ultimately the target system can break. Not for steel BBs though.
    Cheers, Phil

Thumbs up

So no blardy good then, unless shooting with soft plastic balls or wads of wet paper then?
    I have a heavy plywood box kicking about in the shed. Might be 12 plus mm thick and I now know what it will be put to use for.
    Thanks for your honesty, it is no less than I would expect from gentlemen of such high calibre and integrity

My Wolfman target holder is relatively new but has withstood hundreds of 11fpe pellets from 5 or 6 yards with nothing more than some impact marks on the paint.
    No bouncing back at all, pellets simply flatten into little lead flower shapes.
    No doubt BBs would be a different matter.
    I experimented with lead sheet lining - to minimise the noise - but it wears through quickly in areas of repeated impact.