Thread: New stock for HW80

New stock for HW80

Got my Mk1 HW80 firing smoothly and accurately. Now considering getting a new stock for it as the original is sadly showing its age. I have seen that a lot of people have gone down the Custom Stocks route namely CS500 etc. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for other manufacturer's or designs. Any advice or pictures would very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bycycmk View Post
    Got my Mk1 HW80 firing smoothly and accurately. Now considering getting a new stock for it as the original is sadly showing its age. I have seen that a lot of people have gone down the Custom Stocks route namely CS500 etc. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for other manufacturer's or designs. Any advice or pictures would very much appreciated.

Thank you.
    Myself if your stock is just looking tired I think I would get it redone, They just look nice in the mk1 stock, If a mk2 I would go with the CS stock,

I'm not an expert regarding stocks but would say the "go to" commercial places these days would be Warren Edwards and Custom Stocks. A member on here, Tom Davies, has also turned out some beautiful stuff of late.
    If you were going to re-finish the existing stock, great. Or, there's a very nice and highly skilled chap on here, Craig-P, who could re-finish / customise / chequer for you. With the Custom Stocks stocks, some have found the chequering panels too small for their liking. So you could always buy one of those in a lesser state of finish and then let Craig do the business on it for you.
    Hope this helps.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

as tony says above

CS are a lot more generous with their stippling than their checkering so I went that route for my HW99. An 80 in a CS500 is a lovely thing. Your Mk1 stock will sell well and help offset the cost of a custom option if you go down that route. Regards Max
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

I purchased a solid, but tatty mk1 stock and had it refinished. as well as a front checkering panel, an ebony pistol grip cap was added:

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I'm not an expert regarding stocks but would say the "go to" commercial places these days would be Warren Edwards and Custom Stocks. A member on here, Tom Davies, has also turned out some beautiful stuff of late.
    If you were going to re-finish the existing stock, great. Or, there's a very nice and highly skilled chap on here, Craig-P, who could re-finish / customise / chequer for you. With the Custom Stocks stocks, some have found the chequering panels too small for their liking. So you could always buy one of those in a lesser state of finish and then let Craig do the business on it for you.
    Hope this helps.
    Many thanks for the kind words, mate.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

CS chequering these days is just not quite right. Especially on the fore end. Either order without, or opt for their much better-looking stippling. Given the light hold you should be using on a springer, especially at the front, chequering or stippling is rather redundant functionally and is principally cosmetic.

Plan A

Going to restore the original stock first. If it works out for me great, if not then it will have to be plan B.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    Many thanks for the kind words, mate.
    No worries, my friend. Your work is simply stunning.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    I purchased a solid, but tatty mk1 stock and had it refinished. as well as a front checkering panel, an ebony pistol grip cap was added:
    Very nice, Marky.