Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ,44 mag loading

,44 mag loading

applied for a .44 mag underlever etc as i had to do a variation for my sec 58 revolvers so i thought why not
    it will be used indoors as a girly gun and mostly used by my partner who will shoot .44 specials through it as that what she prefers with the club guns....
    now , i have a few tubs of trailboss here and 6 gns - 7.5gns in a magnum case with a 240gn lead pill should be sufficient up to 1000 fps......any one else used this powder ?
    for myself i would reload with normal loadings

HI STEPHEN,
    I have used a 44mag Marlin for many years for target shooting, light load,
    my advice to you is, use a 44mag case with a 44spl load,
    it cuts down on feed problems and has served me well for many years ,
    lots of different powders, 240gr head, TC, SWC, RNF,
    have a bit play and see what your new toy likes best,
    have fun,
    T

Quote Originally Posted by TALL View Post
    HI STEPHEN,
    I have used a 44mag Marlin for many years for target shooting, light load,
    my advice to you is, use a 44mag case with a 44spl load,
    it cuts down on feed problems and has served me well for many years ,
    lots of different powders, 240gr head, TC, SWC, RNF,
    have a bit play and see what your new toy likes best,
    have fun,
    T
    cheers trev
    awaiting approval etc but got a few powders here i can use but her indoors will want a light recoil , accurate powder lol
    she uses .44 specials at the club with accurate groups......will be looking around for a pre 2007 one when approved.
    dreading when i get one as my partner and daughter be using it ( both members ) and they make yosemite sam look like a choir boy

If you need cases for 44 mag, let me know by pm. I also have unique powder. I used 7 grains for 50m shooting with 240 gr cast bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    i have a few tubs of trailboss here and 6 gns - 7.5gns in a magnum case with a 240gn lead pill should be sufficient up to 1000 fps
    for myself i would reload with normal loadings
    Stick to normal loadings, pills don't shoot very well.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

I use 6.5gr or Unique with OK results and a 240gr Shell House bullet

Am tempted to try trail boss as it apparently measures better.

I also load "full house" loads

Tried some H110 but think I really need a magnum primer as very sooto cases.

Have loaded up some Viht N110 loads but not tried those yet.

Scrummy

(PS using a Chiappa Alaskan with a 20" barrel)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrumbag View Post

Scrummy

When I do get the rifle for her then I will use 6.5gn unique with 240 Gn cast bullet but will try trail boss too as I have plenty of each.....its only for 25 yds

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    When I do get the rifle for her then I will use 6.5gn unique with 240 Gn cast bullet but will try trail boss too as I have plenty of each.....its only for 25 yds
    Meant to say titegroup rather than trail boss.

What rifle you going for?

Scrummy

Pre remlin marlin 1894

One of the best powders I ever used in 357/41/44/45 is Vectan AS which I used to buy in bulk.
    You can still get it in 500gm tubs. Its a large green flake powder and about 6gns half fills a case. double load spills out the top.
    Use it with a 200gn rnfp bullet and you have a soft shooting clean burning load.
    I moved to CSB5 after the lack of bulk AS and that works well but is a dark colour so not so visible in the case when loading.
    Both of these are fast shotgun powders.
    Another excellent powder is Vectan BA10 - which was very popular in pistol days and is also brightly coloured and clean burning.

Quote Originally Posted by mag44uk View Post
    One of the best powders I ever used in 357/41/44/45 is Vectan AS which I used to buy in bulk.
    You can still get it in 500gm tubs. Its a large green flake powder and about 6gns half fills a case. double load spills out the top.
    Use it with a 200gn rnfp bullet and you have a soft shooting clean burning load.
    I moved to CSB5 after the lack of bulk AS and that works well but is a dark colour so not so visible in the case when loading.
    Another excellent powder is Vectan BA10 - which was very popular in pistol days and is also brightly coloured and clean burning.
    just quickloaded those powders and are suitable at around 1000 fps.
    going to try and scrounge some lol and test i out for her as i have a couple of tubs of unique to use up

Quote Originally Posted by mag44uk View Post
    The Vectan AS i used to use was green and PINK flakes. The malachite green stuff was Vectan A1

Quote Originally Posted by Scrumbag View Post

Scrummy

I'm currently loading 18Gr of N110 behind a 240Gr LRNFP as a plinking load. Nice load, enough oomph to be interesting without battering like the PPU factory stuff does.

Quote Originally Posted by zanes View Post
    I'm currently loading 18Gr of N110 behind a 240Gr LRNFP as a plinking load. Nice load, enough oomph to be interesting without battering like the PPU factory stuff does.
    Very interesting, thanks very much.

Scrummy

Loiner your missus shot really well with mine using 200 grain GM bullets and 7.5 grains of Viht N320 it’s just over a 44 special load and you can load 9.5 grains which is nearly a 44 mag load if you want something a bit more potent!

Rick
    It's not my faulty, I was just.....