Thread: Opinions Please.

Opinions Please.

Our rep has just informed me that they are stocking these.
    I have very little knowledge of "scope" based thermal cameras.
    Does the spec stand up at the cost against the industry standard.
    The manufacturere is prodominently a CCTV manufacturer.

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/hi...l-weapon-scope
    VAYA CON DIOS

Not into thermal but a 4.45 hour battery life without WIFI etc enabled isn't great and it seems to run on CR123s which in the UK are a HUGE rip off. When I was buying they were £5 quid for a pair and that was some time ago. I don't get that when they could of used the 18650 rechargeable at something like 3400 mah and pay for itself in 2 or three charge cycles.

I would not consider it personally if CR123 is the only battery option.

I also do not like dedicated batteries when there are so many high performance batteries on the market that become very cheap the more times you recharge. Unit only are over priced rip offs for me.

Also the NV forum may be a better place re how good/bad this spec is Vs price.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    Not into thermal but a 4.45 hour battery life without WIFI etc enabled isn't great and it seems to run on CR123s which in the UK are a HUGE rip off. When I was buying they were £5 quid for a pair and that was some time ago. I don't get that when they could of used the 18650 rechargeable at something like 3400 mah and pay for itself in 2 or three charge cycles.

I would not consider it personally if CR123 is the only battery option.

I also do not like dedicated batteries when there are so many high performance batteries on the market that become very cheap the more times you recharge. Unit only are over priced rip offs for me.

Also the NV forum may be a better place re how good/bad this spec is Vs price.
    Cheers
    VAYA CON DIOS

The blurb says "The Thunder can be used in three configurations; a Thermal Weapon Scope, a Handheld Thermal Monocular and a Thermal Front Add-On (additional Lens System required)."

First thing, if it's a true scope, with normal eye relief of three inches or so, it'll be a crap monocular. To use a spotter comfortably, you need practically zero eye relief, ie right up against it. Trying to use a scope as a monocular, where you have to hold it away from your eye, is next to useless, in my experience anyway.

It's at a pretty competitive price point, you can get the lower end Thermions or IRay TL35 for not far off that, or the SAIM SCP19 for a grand less. I'm using a TL35 and get twice that run time off the internal battery, plus you can add a supplementary battery as well.

384 x 288 resolution. 50Hz frame rate. 384 pixels at 10 degrees is a bit under 1/2" resolution at 25m. So it might be challenging if you need precision.

Not that bad. 15 years ago, this would have been good enough for military vehicle weapons sights.

Don't stick it on a springer. A lot of thermal cameras, particularly uncooled ones, are not good with shocks.

BB

never knew that about them on springers

I would try to get more info from someone who has or had one or look at or try one first. The only experience I have is one that a mate bought at about £500 a few years ago and I thought it was absolute garbage with about 10 mins battery life.