Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Webley Rebel bolt seal question

Webley Rebel bolt seal question

Hi everyone I hope all is well today 😁

I'm spending some time servicing some of my guns, my Webley Rebel had no power and was with issues, so I've sorted that bit kind off, the power is still down to around 9ftlb with 8 pumps, although stiff to pump towards the end and makes the right noises, I thought maybe the bolt pin seal would be good to change, but I can't get the bolt out of the back of the gun to replace the seal?

Could anyone advise how this is done, as I hooked the old one off, but getting a new one on is seemingly more difficult than I expected. I doubt changing this will make much difference power wise but if I can get it closer to 10ftlb I'd be happy 😁

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Atb

Lift out the bolt catch spring on the right hand side of the bolt carefully with a tiny screwdriver or O ring pick, Remove the tiny screw at the rear of the catch then take out the catch Then the probe comes out, Refit in reverse.. Col.

Hi Col

Many thanks for the reply much appreciated, tbh I hadn't noticed the little spring, I've removed the long bolt that's at the back of the action, but struggled to get the rocker catch out, so it must be the spring that's not allowing the bolt to come out👍

Many thanks for the help, I'm going to to have a re-examination of this shortly 😁

Atb

Many thanks Col

That little spring is tricky to get back in 🤔 but all back together, power hasn't gone much above 9ft/lb, but I put a small bit of paper over the loading port and it flies off quite rapidly, can anyone recommend a good replacement seal, I ordered one from Chambers but they are much thinner and weaker than the original and obviously not doing a great job. .

Is there a good seal that'll stop air escaping out the back of the action?

Many thanks

Your welcome, I dont have any seal kits left but the likes of Ped or Lawrie Amatruda and others may have the correct size O ring to hand..

Hi Col

Your help is greatly appreciated, I'll try to contact them in the hope of finding a proper seal. 👍

Hope the info on the spring will help others too, as I hadn't found much on this area.

I can only assume that the power is down because of the pellet seal 🤞

Atb

Or the transfer port seal is worn this go's between the tube and the plastic block there should be a spacer plate that push's up between the tube and block

what sise seal did you use for the probe

Quote Originally Posted by ZAKDINGEL View Post
    Or the transfer port seal is worn this go's between the tube and the plastic block there should be a spacer plate that push's up between the tube and block
    Hi Zakdingel thanks for the thought yes I had replaced with a new one from Chambers, so hopefully all OK there, but the air escape if definitely at the loading port as it blows back with some vigour as the paper flies of with gusto 😖😁

Hopefully once I have a good seal on the pellet probe I'll know better the true fps and work from there 👍

Atb

Hi Ped many thanks for your reply, I tried to contact both yourself and Lawrie, but I couldn't find your contact details as the search function doesn't pick up with 3 letters so I was stuffed 🙄

I managed to contact Lawrie, who kindly offered to send me some seals to try, if any of them work I'll definitely put up the exact dims but at present I'm trying to use the following dims... OD 6.5mm ID 3.5mm thickness 1.5mm the pellet probe goes in OK, the original often caught on the receiver entrance, I think my seals are just too soft as a replacement and the Chambers one were the same.

The 177 seems to be a little vague on the probe seal dims, but hopefully we can find out for sure. 👍

Atb

i supply 4x1.5 for the wobbly probe seal in my seal kits which seals mine fine

Hi Ped many thanks for message and dims of the seal you supply, I've got a couple enroute.from Lawrie to try which is very kind of him, hopefully one will work and I'll let people know what dims it was but my seal I think was bigger than the specs given, but I could be very wrong it wouldn't be the 1st time 😂

Atb

OK not a huge amount of luck with this as its now doing 215m/s about 705 fps with a 8.3g pellet so that's 9.16ftlb. The pellet receiver breach is still letting air out, even after the seals from Lawrie (thank you again) maybe not so much but enough to push a piece of paper about a foot into the air!

The cylinder to barrel I relocated and aligned with a slightly bigger tougher seal in place, which was a really good fit, a small amount of air does still escape between the barrel and pump cylinder, but not as much as I'd noticed before 👍

I'm guessing that's where the extra 15m/s came from, as I couldn't get it past 200m/s previously.

So I know it's a stupid question, but is some air escape normal? Or should the paper remain in place on the breach and cylinder 🤔

I've adjusted the pump arm to get maximum power from it, it holds in place when fired and locks fine when pumped without stress on the rod. It's letting off after 7 pumps, as I'm using a innova internal pump rod as the webley one couldn't be adjusted much.

Would the power issue be down to the port hole being too small as I really would like to get 10.5 ftlb out of it to be happy, I'm at a lose with the T Robb guide to hand it's just not getting close to 10ftlb and air still escapes.

I'd happily buy a 22 as this should get to 10.5 but the 177 just seems stuck at 9ftlbs and air leaks 😭

Any thoughts or advise welcome on the delima.

Atb

the barrel may not have been sealed properly into the block so air is escaping on the outside
    tbh the rebel is a poor copy and most used the stock and block to resurect an innova with the dreaded crimped or broken block
    i have a .177 that came from a mate who was ready to bin it as it leaked and two shops had tried to seal it without any success

Hi thanks for the info, I did align the barrel and port but it's not 100% for sure.

I've tried most things but unless I change the internal valve system with a original innova I'm at a loss.

Atb