Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: springer advice.

springer advice.

Of late iv been shooting pcp air rifles more that my springers. I could keep them all in an inch group at 25yds leaning on the bench
    no problem but lately im not able to get a group under 4" at the same bench and distance. Rifles are a HW99S and a Lightening
    XL SE. Both in .22 using AA Diablo pellets. Seems odd its both guns.!
    Iv checked the scopes are tight and theres nothing that appears wrong. Im 90% sure its me but im holding both the same way I have
    for years. Is it normal to lose your touch a bit with swopping between pcp and spring.?? Probably just need more practice. :-)
    Tim

Always takes me a couple of weeks to get back into the springer way of shooting. Relaxin grip I find takes longest.

Probably just more practice needed if your not that use to sprinters.

Try a more relaxed hold than what your doing now , keep the mag low & perhaps lighten the second stage trigger if you can.
    The 99 should be easy to shoot .
    Have you checked the consistency on a chrono ? To see if the power is erratic at all .

As it's both rifles and accepting I may be 'teaching granny' .... how are you supporting the rifle on the bench? If resting on anything hard then that could be your problem ... cushion the action by resting it on your hand or on a pliable bag and use a relaxed grip.
    Cheers, Phil

Many Thanks for the replies. Could possibly be the new wooden rest I made some time ago.
    Its basically a cube with several heights of rests and a very thin bit of foam wrapped tightly
    with insulation tape.
    I have previously only used it with the s400 and the huntsman when it was ok. My air tank
    has gone for its 5 year test hence digging the springers out. I do prefer springers but sadly
    arthritic joints make the pcp a better choice for me. Will have another session shooting off
    my hand. Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tim56 View Post
    Will have another session shooting off
    my hand. Tim
    Excellent idea ... and I bet your group size will reduce. I also have issues with arthritis ... both wrists and the doc just tells me I am getting old, which indeed I am I guess.
    I really hope it works for you.
    Personally I shoot springers (plinking at the moment) rested on my hand with my hand rested on a shooting rest bag filled with, I think, rice or similar. With a pcp I don't really have to use my hand as an extra rest but do use it to steady the action a tad.
    Cheers and good luck.
    Phil

If you have a spare, older cushion, or can easily and cheaply buy a new one, place that on top of your rest and give it a go. Also, as you've had a break from the springers, talk yourself back into using a relaxed, unstressed, technique. Pay particular attention to consistency of that relaxed technique, trigger release and follow through. Hopefully this will help.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    rests are a waste of time with boingers.. a cusion/beanbag to support your leading arm and off you go. Thin foam on hard wood = no hope of a group.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    rests are a waste of time with boingers.. a cusion/beanbag to support your leading arm and off you go. Thin foam on hard wood = no hope of a group.
    I find this works brilliantly with my 99s...

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/va...a-aim-gun-rest

Worth every penny IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    I find this works brilliantly with my 99s...

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/va...a-aim-gun-rest

Worth every penny IMHO.
    yeah, big soft bit on the top woudl work.. but my beanbag also works great
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Swapping from one rifle to another is never really a good idea as it'll always have an effect on the way you shoot from one rifle to t'other especially when swapping from springer to PCP and back again...

Reminds me that age old saying, beware the man with one gun !...
    .22 S410...
    .22 Webley Xocet...
    .22 HW95k...

Quote Originally Posted by TORNADOS7 View Post
    Reminds me that age old saying, beware the man with one gun !...
    says the man with at least three....

Yeah I know, people in glass houses...

If you think the gun is off or you'd just like to sight it then strap it down or clamp it with g clamps to a bench. Centre the sight on the target and fire one round. Adjust the sight to the hole and you're "zeroed".

Its also worth checking your sight is positioned correctly on the rail, make sure its entirely flush where it should be. My gun played that trick on me once..

Quote Originally Posted by shivadow View Post
    If you think the gun is off or you'd just like to sight it then strap it down or clamp it with g clamps to a bench. Centre the sight on the target and fire one round. Adjust the sight to the hole and you're "zeroed".
    That won’t work with a springer.

Absolutely Mr Geez. The BOING doesn't take kindly to being shackled.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!