Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Webley Rebel bolt seal question

Quote Originally Posted by --ped-- View Post
    it's not it was just packaging to prevent the pump rod from poking through the mail bag
    Hi Ped and ratbuster2240

Many thanks for the posts and apologies for the late reply, I tried to send Ped a PM but your inbox was full

Just to update, as I finally managed to get to putting it back together tonight! I was really hoping to post on the forum that the gun is finally sorted and at 10.5ftlb, then to crack open a bottle in celebration, but no! The bottle remains in the fridge tonight :-) Everything is finally back together including a new pump rubber head. It holds air for as many pumps as I can give it (12 so far) but its only doing 7.5ftlb, the pump seal head seems to be up against the valve head, as theres a little suck action after firing when opening the pump handle, the pump handle neither drops after shooting, nor does it not sit correctly after a pump (apologies for the double negative ).

I can tweak the pump arm rod making it a fraction longer which might help a little, Im not sure itll make a significant difference, i'll see tomorrow, but I cant see another 3ftlb coming out of such a small adjustment. At present the pumping is consistant, I wouldnt say it gets much harder to pump, but theres no air loss or hissing from the valve itself and everything feels tight.

I am at a bit of a loss as to why its consistant at only 7.5/8 ftlb max, there are two holes in the pump arm head, would they need a small grub screw in there, as I think one had a thread in the little hole, dunno it was just an observation, but I have no little grub screws that I recall after stripping.

If anyone has a thoughts on the power not raising near 10ftlb, it would be very much apprecieated. As its the only gun thats stumped me completely, with no improvement after servicing everything. I'll have another go tomorrow and then have that bottle either way, as its been almost 2 years Ive been working on and off with this to no great effect. Theres only so much a man can take :-)

Any help at this stage is greatly apprecieated.

ATB

Im sure ped will be along to give you the answer but in the mean time the blow off valve might need adjusting so it takes longer to blow off they usally blow off at five to six pumps also the pump head should be adjusted so that just as it comes pass the small vent hole it stops to give the maxium pump

For how simple these guns are they do give me headaches too. I would just send it to Ped or at least the valves.

On the webley or sharp I find using tiny fuel line designed for wipper snippers and small chainsaws feed over the bolt perfect and trim with a box cutter it works perfectly. Keep in mind it’s a tight fit bit it works better than other methods

Hi and thank you very much for the further info 👍 with regards to the whipper tube would this be the item from the bay of theives if allowed on here 🤔 302732860036 it has a 5mm inner id. so does it fit up to the mouth of the port or inside as it does look quite large.

I'm sure Ped is busy as his inbox was full the other day, but if he was willing to tweak it I'd certainly take it up, although I do like the challenge 😂 but it's getting beyond a joke now.

I did some more adjusting of the pump rod 😱 but lost the pump arm pin when putting it back together. It literally disappeared in to the ether 😖 so I've had to order another from Chambers which hopefully will be here early next week.

I doubt the millimetres of adjustment is going to make much of a difference, as I'm pretty sure the pumphead was already hard up against the valve head.

Once back together I'll post the results 👍but at around 8ftlb with only a few types of pellet I cant see a minor adjustment left will make that much of a difference, but who knows.

Also if anyone has a 22 for sale in good condition, I'd be looking to buy one as the 177 is fiddle for knackered hands 😂

Much appreciative of all the help 👍

Atb

i've been away fishing for the week
    it'll be the blow off valve setting possibly
    try pumping 3 times then chrono 4 times then chrono ,repeating an other pump till it stops producing more power

Thanks for the advise Ped much appreciated, I'll give it a try and report back once it's back together. Hope the fishing was good, I was away about 2 weeks ago mackerel fishing at Ilfracombe and it was a good day out 👍

I'll check the pump adjustment but it thought I'd screwed it up pretty tight, so I didn't need more than 8 pumps. As said I'll recheck it all tomorrow and hopefully put it together on Monday if Chambers deliver 🤞

Atb

fishing was good mate no cats but we had a few mudpigs and a bad days fishing is still better than a good day working

Quote Originally Posted by --ped-- View Post
    fishing was good mate no cats but we had a few mudpigs and a bad days fishing is still better than a good day working
    Pleased it was a good one 👍 I'm next going in Nov so going to be a chilly one by the sea, any day out closer to the countryside is better than a day at work 😂

I've checked the screw adjuster in the pump head and it is in tight and I will just set the length of pump rod as close to the correct length as possible, once reassembled, I will then retest and as you suggested give some fps/pumps feed back 😏

If it doesn't work, I'll turn turn it into a boomerang and hang it on the wall!

Atb

OK so I've tweaked the pump rod length and adjusted the screwin valve on the pump head as tight as I can 😁, the pump handle doesn't fall in firing 👍it is harder to pull the pump handle away from the action, as I believe the head is up against the valve face now, but they may be a minimal adjustment left in it. But overall feels harder to pump past 4-6 pumps.

But I'm having some odd issues, sometimes now during pumping normally around 4-6 pumps it fires by itself, even with the safety on 😒 I did read that it's due to the pump head alignment and the pump rod needs extending so that it fits flush to the valve head. I'm surprised by that, as I'm pretty sure there's little length left 🤔

Power wise 4 pumps 580 fps 6 pumps 660/670 fps and with 8 pumps I think it was a magical 700 fps 😂 still way short but it's going up, I lost light and the risk of the gun just going off concerned me a little, so I've stopped there for today. I was using crossman accupell 177 at the moment.

I've not had the gun just go off before, any help on this peculiarity would be appreciated. Hopefully once resolved I'll try more pumps, but I think I'd loose interest if having to give it 12 pumps to reach anywhere close to 10.5 ftlb.

Many thanks for any help on this.

Atb

OK so I've tweaked the pump rod length and adjusted the screwin valve on the pump head as tight as I can 😁, the pump handle doesn't fall in firing 👍it is harder to pull the pump handle away from the action, as I believe the head is up against the valve face now, but they may be a minimal adjustment left in it. But overall feels harder to pump past 4-6 pumps.

But I'm having some odd issues, sometimes now during pumping normally around 4-6 pumps it fires occasionally by itself, even with the safety on 😒 I did read that it's due to the pump head alignment and the pump rod needs extending so that it fits flush to the valve head. I'm surprised by that, as I'm pretty sure there's little length left 🤔

Power wise 4 pumps 580 fps 6 pumps 660/670 fps and with 8 pumps I think it was a magical 700 fps 😂 still way short but it's going up, I lost light and the risk of the gun just going off concerned me a little, so I've stopped there for today. I was using crossman accupell 177 at the moment.

I've not had the gun just go off before, any help on this peculiarity would be appreciated. Hopefully once resolved I'll try more pumps, but I think I'd loose interest if having to give it 12 pumps to reach anywhere close to 10.5 ftlb.

Many thanks for any help on this.

Atb

the pin isn't fully resetting behind the sear plate if it's firing whilst pumping
    to set the head space on the piston you need to feel the piston contact the valve with the lever 1/2"-3/4" from the tube

Hi Ped many thanks for the advise on this, although you had me up until the following... "you need to feel the piston contact the valve with the lever 1/2"-3/4" from the tube"

So the pump head is too long at present or is it too short and needs lengthening. Do I hold the trigger so the air escapes, therefore there's no pressure whilst pushing the pump head towards the valve.

How do I measure that lengthy of 1/2 - 3/4 inch, is that the distance the handle has left before shutting, does this correlate? Or is there another way of measuring this.

Sorry if I'm being a bit slow on this bit, but will have a go this weekend after work 🥴

Atb

i hold the trigger so the valve opens and you can then feel when the piston touches the valve
    you measure at the rear end of the pump arm and ideally 1/2" gap between the cylinder and the contact pont on the pump arm
    if you over adjust the piston you'll bend the rod and potentially wear out the lever link rivet or the bushing

Many thanks Ped, I'm off today so I'll give that a try 👍 So the half inch is the distance the pump handle has left before closing against the action to measure the correct distance for the pump rod. I was concerned as to the rod bending as I'm almost at the ends of both screws on the rod.

I'll get it right soon 👍

Atb