Thread: Heads up - Original 50

Heads up - Original 50

I noticed this on Gunstar, in case it is of interest. It appears to be an example in excellent condition albeit probably overpriced.

https://www.gunstar.co.uk/original-m...ts_id=28277496

A

Had mine about 45 years, it's a 50e no scope rail on mine .atb mick

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    I noticed this on Gunstar, in case it is of interest. It appears to be an example in excellent condition albeit probably overpriced.

https://www.gunstar.co.uk/original-m...ts_id=28277496

A
    Beautiful rifle, thanks for posting a heads up.

The stock is interesting, looks like a cross between a 50M and a 50B/E, with 35M chequering!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Correction: that is, Original 35B chequering.

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

The first time I saw a 50B I thought someone had been using it for chequering practice.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Very nice. And the price isn’t terrible, as he’s chucking in a model 60 diopter rear sight too.

50e

If you want a shock go to the last Holt's auction and look up the 50e, be prepared for a heart attack.

Probably quite rare to see something of this age and in this condition. The seller might be prepared to accept a lower price although, compared to Holt's, it is perhaps not so expensive. Certainly, it is one for the collector. We have a number on here who are keen on these rifles, so it might be tempting for them if they have money burning a hole in their pockets

A

After pre-WW2 BSA rifles, these early Model 50 variants are my favourite rifles.

I have a couple of the checkered stock 50B's and both are tack drivers.

Not powerhouses, but very accurate rifles, "made up to a quality, not down to a price".

Lakey

A similar gun in very good condition achieved a £1000 hammer price, in the Holts june sale, so I am not sure that £395 is overpriced. The rear sight is different on the Holts gun though.

https://auctions.holtsauctioneers.co...e=5&index=view

Lakey
    Last edited by Lakey; 26-06-2021 at 09:20 AM.

Very interesting link, thanks for that Lakey.

The prices fetched at Holts, not just for the 50 but for some of the other air rifles, are no less than astonishing. The Mk3 with its original box is an example which far exceeded estimates. Presumably, on top, the bidder must add commission too.

This suggests there is a very active market, with firm and rising prices. One does wonder why buyers do not attend Kempton or, indeed, buy from gunsmiths where, from time to time, reasonable prices can be found. Certainly, these sort of prices are not obtainable (fortunately for us collectors) on this site.

A
    Last edited by andrewM; 28-06-2021 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Very interesting link, thanks for that Lakey.

The prices fetched at Holts, not just for the 50 but for some of the other air rifles, are no less than astonishing. The Mk3 with its original box is an example which far exceeded estimates. Presumably, on top, the bidder must add commission too.

This suggests there is a very active market, with firm and rising prices. One does wonder why buyers do not attend Kempton or, indeed, buy from gunsmiths where, from time to time, reasonable prices can be found. Certainly, these sort of prices are not obtainable (fortunately for us collectors) on this site.

A
    I would imagine that the folk who pay such high prices for these guns are not so much the enthusiasts who might frequent this and other forums and attend Kempton, but more those that are trying to recapture their youth and buy the sort of guns and any other items (e.g Meccano Number 10 etc.) they used to lust after, or owned and sold on only to regret it in later life.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.